Please HELP "SILVER STUFF AFTER PRECIPITANT WASH"

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
USING THE I SHORE METHOD I HAD A BUNCH OF SILVER LOOKING MUD AFTER WASHING OFF THE 1ST RINSE. I USED 10 TOZ OF 10-K. COULD I HAVE USED TO MUCH PRECIPITANT OR UREA? THIS MY 2ND TIME REFINING 10-K. 1ST TIME WENT WELL.... WHATS UP ?

I can not advise you since I am unfamiliar with their system other than the fact that they hold you hostage to buy their unnamed chemicals. My advice would be to return it as unsatisfactory if you can and learn to refine here. You can learn where to get your chemicals or make them, all for a reasonable cost.

I can't offer any help with the refining sytem you've chosen, but I would advise you that posting in all caps is not acceptable. Please refrain from doing so.

Welcome to the forum!

Harold

I agree,

Hard saying not knowing what was involved chemically. I assume that the Acids involved were HCl added to a "Shore" brand named Sodium/Potassim Nitrate to dissolve the 10 K jewelry. All white gold, some yellow gold? Sure it was gold? , ie, some costume jewelry mixed in?
There are a lot of variables, you might get more help if you describe in more detail your process.

Harold specializes in Karat jewelry, but I'm sure is just not familiar with Shore's Products.

The silvery precipitant came down from the wash water? Usually a greyish precipitant of copper chloride will drop in a dirty solution. HMMM
I would suggest you read up un some of the testing procedures here on the site. Any refiner should feel confident using Stannous Chloride to test solutions for any precious metals. ie, maybe you should put the precip back into an acid solution and test it.

I would not reccomend PM'ing me as I am still learning the ropes as well, however, I would gladly try to help you in any way possible.

So Hope This Helps and doesn't discourage,
Nick

Latest posts

Back