please help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you to those who pointed out the issue of toxic PGM salts.

When will I unwittingly run into PGM's when recovering gold from electronic scrap?

Only planing on doing memory, fingers, and CPU's for now.

If refining CPU chips, is there a possibility of there being some palladium in the solder on the legs?

No, not in the legs however Pd can be found in multi-layered ceramic capacitors on CPU.

* I have to edit my reply. I thought you meant solder where IC is connected to board.
Actually Pd can be found in many IC inside where it is used in AgPd brazing I had package of I think 500 IC where it said on package that AgPd brazing used inside body of IC. I have no doubt that there are zillions of different types which contain Pd.

Noble Metals Recovery said:
Thank you to those who pointed out the issue of toxic PGM salts.

When will I unwittingly run into PGM's when recovering gold from electronic scrap?

Only planing on doing memory, fingers, and CPU's for now.

If refining CPU chips, is there a possibility of there being some palladium in the solder on the legs?
That's actually a two-part question, the second part being "and how do I deal with it?"

Your safest bet is to assume any e-scrap may contain PGMs and conduct yourself accordingly. Also, when PGMs are dissolved in acids/AR, the easiest way to deal with them is to cement them with copper in your stockpot and deal with it later. As we discussed in another thread, for some of us that actually means "and build up enough to have Lou deal with it later" hahaha.

Latest posts

Back