Precipitating Gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A paper (coffee)filter will not let any gold pass through imo.
The fitered solution goes back in the container for some more plated material. Don' t add anymore H2O2.

Or it goes in a storage container for later use.

If you want to get rid of it treat it as waste.
https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1300
There should be no visible gold after filtration through a filter. Even some fine precipitated gold dust should be captured by the filter. Something went wrong there.
Double the filter or try other filters?
You may have not rinsed all the small flakes out of the first container and poured the filtered solution back in?

Martijn.

I figured out what the issue was. I was using an old dress shirt of my husband's and it wasn't catching the fine God dust. Coffee filters rip too easily so I thought I'd try the shirt and see how it held up, holds up just fine, but let's the gold dust through. Guess its time to invest in some actual filters lol.

I use these types:
20200927_170719.jpg
The chemical grade filter on the bottom is from the box and are hardly ever used.
The coffee filters work fine.
I use the big ones for hydroxides in waste treatment.

If and when using coffee filters, the brown ones are preferred... the pores are smaller and tighter, thus keeping the fine gold particles from filtering thru!

Take care!

Phil

Thanks Phil! The image is very much appreciated. I was using the bleached white coffee filters originally. I will try the brown ones.

Latest posts

Back