Precipitating spent AP

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glorycloud

After processing fingers in AP, what is the best method for precipitating gold out of the spent AP solution. Steve mentions it in his video but I wonder how it is actually done. :roll: THANKS!

Glory,

AP can easily be rejuvenated and continually reused simply by bubbling air through it.

All you have to do for removing dissolved gold is to let the solution dissolve enough copper to become saturated (dark chocolate brown).

Once the solution is saturated with copper the gold will be precipitated as a black powder.

Let the powder settle over night and siphon off the liquid.

Bubble air through the brown liquid until it turns light green blue (add a little HCl if straight air doesn't lighten the liquid).

Refine the powder with AR or HCl-Cl.

Steve

Thanks Steve!!

In my haste to get finished with the first run of fingers, I dropped in an aluminum heat sink into the spent AP which ended up not being so "spent". (Quite the violent bubbling - glad it was in a 5 gallon bucket!!!) :) I didn't think about there being any gold that might have possibly gone into solution. Is that an "oh well", chalk one up as a learning lesson or can I still salvage what might still be in the bucket?

Latest posts

Back