Problem AgNO3 + NaOH

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FrugalRefiner said:
joseph1990 said:
Now buy some copper rods from ebay preferably one that can reach 75% of container you will be using. Mix the agno3 in the container then do electrolysis
Since you didn't mention adding any electrical current, what you've described is called cementation, or a replacement reaction. That may seem nit picky, but if he searches for electrolysis, he not going to find the right information. If he searches for cementation he will. There can be different names for a process, but using the most common will help members more when you're giving advice.

the process is done once the solution turns fully blue.
Can you quantify that for me? Fully blue? :?

The reaction is done when no more silver cements out.

Dave

the 'fully blue' part....sorry
the electrolysis part......this is indeed nit picky

Cementing is finished when the solution tests negative for silver.
Easiest test, take a glass or beaker with salt water and add one drop of solution to test to the salt water. Look for silver chloride forming. If there is no silver chloride then the cementing is finished.

Pointing out the correct names to use is not nitpicking, in some situations it can even save lives. In any case it makes information easier to find.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
Cementing is finished when the solution tests negative for silver.
Easiest test, take a glass or beaker with salt water and add one drop of solution to test to the salt water. Look for silver chloride forming. If there is no silver chloride then the cementing is finished.

Pointing out the correct names to use is not nitpicking, in some situations it can even save lives. In any case it makes information easier to find.

Göran

Quick question, does the cemented material in its dry form weigh less than the smelted precious metal? I'm thinking since density changes this may cause a shift in mass.

Usually the cemented powder weighs more. Whether that difference be from impurities or that last bit of hard to remove moisture, the melted metal has always been lower in weight than my cement.

It helps to incinerate (bring to red heat to remove residual NO2 that just wouldn't rinse out) the cemented powder and then weigh it, the weights are a lot closer to one another then. This is just my personal experiences though. Your mileage may vary.

Topher_osAUrus said:
Usually the cemented powder weighs more. Whether that difference be from impurities or that last bit of hard to remove moisture, the melted metal has always been lower in weight than my cement.

It helps to incinerate (bring to red heat to remove residual NO2 that just wouldn't rinse out) the cemented powder and then weigh it, the weights are a lot closer to one another then. This is just my personal experiences though. Your mileage may vary.

thanks topher, I see videos where they literally have a small amount of gold dust but upon weighing after smelting they get a troy ounce. Must be the camera

joseph1990 said:
Topher_osAUrus said:

thanks topher, I see videos where they literally have a small amount of gold dust but upon weighing after smelting they get a troy ounce. Must be the camera

Yeah, the camera adds 50 grams :D

Nah, Im sure thats part of the youtube magic. All glitz and glamor, ya know?

They couldnt get as many subscribers and thumbs up if they weren't validating those holding the opinion that the 3 computers and 4 sticks of ram has an ozt of gold waiting to be reclaimed.

They would get disliked in a heartbeat if they shattered the dreams of all those with escrap induced gold fever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz1tLVdLBcQ

Silver purity process. To get pure silver nitrate and how silver nitrate react with sodium formate to get pure silver powder.

Latest posts

Back