Processing boards with gold plated contacts

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingedcloud

Hello everyone,

Been around in the forum looking for the correct process to get the gold from several boards I have, shown in the picture.
I've cut them all into smaller pieces so they fit better in any container or recipient I want to put them into.

13015084_1167396926627556_461667507_n.jpg
13022196_1167397043294211_155079795_n.jpg
I've thought on running these boards on an AP method, since I've used it before sucessfully with RAM fingers, following samuel-a video. However, I have some concerns with this method that I got reading several topics around the forum and that I wanted to question you guys about:

- I've read that the AP method can be run by either using HCl + H2O2 (1) or HCl with pre-made CuCl2 solution plus aeration (2)(I've used method(2) before). I've also read that the method (1) has the risk of dissolving some of the gold on the boards, which is brought back by the copper dissolving into solution. I've never tried the method (1) also because I dunno the amount of H2O2 needed to kick start the process.

- I've read around the forum aswell that tin can be an issue too when using the AP method. Couldnt completely understand why, but I learned too that we can solve this issue by doing a first step of HCl leaching of tin solder to remove it from the boards. Can anyone tell me for how long, on average, must this leach be maintained?

- Finally, I have some cellphone boards, all depopulated from components just which solder leftovers. Do you think I can process all these boards together with the same process (HCl tin leaching + AP method)?

Antecipated thankful for all the help you can provide me.

Winged

First run the boards through HCl with some regular water to remove the solder. Don't let it sit for more than 3 days or it will start eating copper (oxygen pulled from the air turns it into AP). Some of the boards may have gold under the solder mask, so I'd remove that with a soak in a warm 10 or 20% sodium hydroxide solution to remove the solder mask. Then run everything in AP.

Latest posts

Back