processing chips from motherboard

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cytek

I extracted chips from motherboards, see photo, they have a gold corner and when you ripp off the tops there is a fine gold trace. I have used HCL and Peroxide to extract the gold. This works however i have alot of muck, is it the solder from the back of then chip? The question is how do i get the muck out. Should i process with HCL and clorox and then smd? or is there another way befor i do this?

Thanks

cytek[/img]

Attachments

• PICT0005.jpg
    PICT0005.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 459
Cytek,

Wlecome to the forum.

Before you move on to HCl-Cl you should wash the muck several times with hot HCl followed by several washes with water. This will remove any residual base metals still in the muck before going to the HCl-Cl.

Be sure you stir the muck very well during the rinses and also during the HCl-Cl extraction.

Steve

are these types of processors worth processing? Is there any approximate yield data on these? I have hundreds of these separated from the boards with intent of selling on goldbay oops i mean ebay, unless there is a decent profit to be made vs time spent crushing them.

Thank Steve for your post , I will do just that. Also , Banjags; I will post what my yield is on 50 of the flat packs that I extracted from motherboards and various cards.

cytek

Banjags

The yield on 50 of the flat packs was .2 grams. Not worth the hastle to wack them off the motherboard and then open them up and process. I'll stick with fingers and CPU's.
Cytek

hi there
these chips in the picture above i find are dirty chips and i clean them up before putting them in the ap . what i do is this , i remove them from the board with a butter knife and a rubber hammer . then i use a swiss army type knife and shave the little lead (solder)balls off the bottom and even though it is smooth afterwards there is still some solder on them but not nearly as much to use up the acid . as for some other chips such as the p2's that are on a slot card i remove them and use a small bench grinder and set of goggles and particle mask and grind the surface down until i see copper and that gets rid of alot more solder and junk i dont want into my ap mix. then i crack them open . also i remove the capasitors as well prior to grinding . hope this helps any body
ian

Back