Processing Fingers with CuCl2 etching solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Winged, it's easy to check your solution to see if there is still gold in solution. You need to test it with stannous chloride solution. There is a good description of testing in Hoke's book (she calls it testing solution A). You'll find links to it in my signature line below. You can also search the forum for stannous chloride. You'll find a lot of information on making it and using it. If you're going to refine, you absolutely have to have it.

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
Winged, it's easy to check your solution to see if there is still gold in solution. You need to test it with stannous chloride solution. There is a good description of testing in Hoke's book (she calls it testing solution A). You'll find links to it in my signature line below. You can also search the forum for stannous chloride. You'll find a lot of information on making it and using it. If you're going to refine, you absolutely have to have it.

Dave

Thanks for you reply.

I thought of stannous chloride already. I currently have no way of making it and i feel sad about it :(

Wingedcloud said:
I thought of stannous chloride already. I currently have no way of making it and i feel sad about it :(
There are many ways to skin the cat. I'm assuming you can get HCl, so the only other thing you need is tin. Some members use various solders for the purpose, the favorite being a 96% tin, 4% antimony variety. But most solder will contain tin and will probably work. Another common source is tin fishing sinkers. Lead is being eliminated and tin is a common replacement. Pewter is another possibility. It's primarily tin.

You can also use copperas to test. I believe Hoke described that method as well, and I know it's been discussed on the forum, especially when testing a solution that may also contain platinum group metals.

You must find a way to test, otherwise you are flying blind, never sure where your gold is.

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
Wingedcloud said:
There are many ways to skin the cat. I'm assuming you can get HCl, so the only other thing you need is tin. Some members use various solders for the purpose, the favorite being a 96% tin, 4% antimony variety. But most solder will contain tin and will probably work. Another common source is tin fishing sinkers. Lead is being eliminated and tin is a common replacement. Pewter is another possibility. It's primarily tin.

You can also use copperas to test. I believe Hoke described that method as well, and I know it's been discussed on the forum, especially when testing a solution that may also contain platinum group metals.

You must find a way to test, otherwise you are flying blind, never sure where your gold is.

Dave

I'll definetly try one of the options you gave me. Thanks so much !

Latest posts

Back