Processing Gold Filled

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogerwirecable

I’ve acquired (5) gold filled wire eye glass frames & I’m processing them in a 50/50 mixture of nitric/distilled water removing base metals. I’ve removed a portion of the solution and tested it with a piece of Sterling to make sure it was still active (which it is). The reason I did this was the frame that holds the lens in place doesn’t seem to be dissolving any base metals, I find it difficult to believe that these could be solid as this would be the most fortified piece. The hinges for the ear piece has dissolved & I have small foils & pieces of what looks like wire in my solution from the ear piece. The color of my solution is a turquoise blue; I’ve had everything soaking now for four days, should I wait longer prior to processing with AR?

Thanks
Roger

Don't use AR add heat to your solution. I like to use the sun when Im not in a hurry. I had a pair that seemed to be Stainless under the gold. The gold fell off the frames in large strips. I just pulled it off and threw the rest in the stock pot.

Harold states that some nose pieces are known to be 14K so look for that, but not the whole lens frame.

Eric

The ear pieces are usually wrapped with thin gold filled flat wires. For future reference you could simply unwrap the ear pieces and then cut off the base metal underneath. Many times the ear pieces are steel and impervious to nitric. Another good reason to do this. Also, many times the frames themselves are gold filled steel. For me eyeglass frames are always are real pain to process.

I'll try the Low heat, seems like a better choice for this week. The steel would explain why I'm not getting any type of reaction.

Thank you

Rogerwirecable said:
I'll try the Low heat, seems like a better choice for this week. The steel would explain why I'm not getting any type of reaction.

Thank you

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8746&p=82268&hilit=gold+filled+glasses+frame#p82316

After keeping the solution on a low heat for a day, I had a considerable amount of foils free floating and some that had to be pulled loose. I noticed that pieces which hold the lens were steel as there was no reaction in the 50/50 nitric solution. They also had a white crust on them. After I washed everything I had a nice supprise, I noticed that the Bridge pieces had no reaction. I came back to the forum and re-read this post, found reference to these possibly being Karat gold. I just sat these off the side until they can be tested.

Thank you

Rogerwirecable said:
I just sat these off the side until they can be tested.
No need to test. If they're 14K, they will be so marked. Simply read what the marking says on the inside of the bridge.

The 14K is not common. In my years of refining, I may have encountered a half dozen or so. In those years, I processed thousands of eyeglass frames.

Harold

Latest posts

Back