Processing In Action

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SentMe

Hello all,

Well, the process has begun and the adventure is quite entertaining. I did a small batch of fingers with AP, and, with the help of lazersteve's DVD, everything is going perfectly. I was really nervous at first because I was really unsure about what to mix on a small batch.

So, I started very slowly with a 1/2 cup of HCL and a 1/4 cup of Peroxide. It was a rather good guess and the magic began to happen.

I know there is a metal grate underneath the solution. Just to note, cardboard was added after I realized I forgot. There is a exhaust port to the rear of the jar. (I used mason jars because the sample was so small. That and bootlegging isn't as big as I thought it would be.) lol

I will be posting pictures tomorrow after filteration. I am also waiting on SMB to get here.

I maintained a steady color of emerald green by adding peroxide. I aggitated the mixture througout the day and it was completed in about 2 hrs. (My buddy kept telling me to make sure I aggitate it. So I told him to have his wife talk to it. Thank God for friends. LOL) What I really liked about this formula was the fact that I could filter it and use it immediately on another batch. It was as if the mixture was at it's peak and acted immediately!

I have learned also to keep the fumes away from metal, so it was removed from the exhaust area to outside. It seems the fumes subsided after about an hour.

I do have some concerning questions though. Even though I cannot see the fumes, it still has them. Once the solution is AP and the fumes subside, is it mostly an agent that attacks metal rather than organic? I am super careful around chemicals because I breathed enough of them in Iraq. Nothing like your NBC NCO telling you your M40 promask won't save you against a chlorine attack. :(

My other question is how much SMB to mix with water for the AuCl.

Thanks once again for this forum and it's oustanding members.

Attachments

• goo 2.jpg
    goo 2.jpg
    229.3 KB
In future batches don't add more peroxide unless the solution turns dark brown. Too much peroxide dissolves the gold along with the copper. The goal is to remove the copper leaving the foils behind intact.

SMB should not be added to AP solutions. If your foils dissolve completely add more copper items (not more peroxide) to saturate the AP (it will look like dark chocolate milk) and precipitate the gold as a fine black powder.

Check these links:

Acid Peroxide Notes

and

Acid Peroxide Help
Steve

Will do, Steve. Crawl, walk, run phase :) As for the SMB, I was referring to when I convert the solution to AuCl. Thanks again! :D

Well, the stripping is complete! :D Here is a few shots of my mesh. It was about 3.8 grams from almost a 11 oz. of computer fingers (mixed batch). I hope that is pretty good. I am sure after AuCl, it will be way less, but needless to say, it was a learning experience. :)

Attachments

• IMG_3867.jpg
    IMG_3867.jpg
    115.1 KB

Latest posts

Back