Processing mobile phone parts

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zolotov said:
You can collect every scrap of gold too. What tech do they have? The reactions work the same at big scale or small scale, so I don't see why an average guy at home can't do the same. Or, do you mean that they are using patented processes that we don't even know about? Then , that's different. But if they do it with aqua regia, then being big or small guy doesn't matter. Scale affects the volume only. So if I have 1kg of mobile phones, I should get 0.3 grams of gold

You still have much to learn. No, you cannot do the same at home. In theory you could but for what cost...
They mostly recover PMs in copper cells. AR is used for refining.

Zolotov said:
anachronism said:
Can we inject a bit of reality here?

So Sims say I could have 300g per tonne of mobile phones That's based upon modern refinery techniques where every scrap of gold is collected. Your average guy at home as nowhere near the same tech available. This whole exercise, whilst interesting will be something that you look back on and say "never again, I could have sold them and bought loads of easily recoverable product with the proceeds."

You can collect every scrap of gold too. What tech do they have? The reactions work the same at big scale or small scale, so I don't see why an average guy at home can't do the same. Or, do you mean that they are using patented processes that we don't even know about? Then , that's different. But if they do it with aqua regia, then being big or small guy doesn't matter. Scale affects the volume only. So if I have 1kg of mobile phones, I should get 0.3 grams of gold

Good luck, looking forward to hearing your results.

shmandi said:
No, you cannot do the same at home. In theory you could but for what cost...
They mostly recover PMs in copper cells. AR is used for refining.
at what cost?
this is an electrolytic cell that I can make at home. not a rocket science, if you ask me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9J4hcbX0R0

you don't even need electricity for the motor, just use a wind generator

Where to start...

Scale do affect recovery rate. There is always losses in every process, amount of gold held back in a filter for example is the same if you are filtering 0.1 or 10 liters. Improper incineration and then AR treatment locks up some gold in any carbon left. Gold locked inside components can be hard to get for a hobby refiner.

The big guys smelt the material and create copper bars, in the process most of the precious metals are collected and recovered in the copper electrolysis step. That way they can get a more complete recovery than someone working in the backyard.

Why not mixing materials... because it's impossible to get a complete separation of it afterwards. If the processing is the same after incineration then there is no problem with mixing it, but if there is different base metals or processing methods then mixing creates more job or even higher losses.

And that electrolysis cell... maybe not rocket science but they still managed to make a big mistake... any contamination that doesn't dissolve would form an anode sludge at the bottom or in an anode bag, putting a stirrer without bagging the anodes will have the contamination suspended in the solution and it can mechanically be included in the finished product, lowering the purity. Then measuring 99.99% purity with XRF... I don't trust it.

Göran

No, it is not a rocket science. But even rocket you can make at home.
If you do the process that industry does manually, you will get very old before you get any result. And your profit will be negative.
You need to separate metallic and non metalic parts. You need to separate ferrous and other metals. Then you can start recovery and refining is the last step.
The way I read you, you would just toss everything in AR. Yes, hard way is also a way to learn...

In the video you got "inspiration" from they process inquarted gold not cell phones. Big difference. Aqua Regia is stuff to be used on purifying dirty gold powder, processing rest of inquarted karat gold after nitric digestion of silver, perhaps ceramic cpu and cpu pins but certainly not on anything you do have on your pictures.
Maybe your problem is language barrier? Where are you from? I think that there may be experienced members here from your country which may be able to guide you or explain basics to you.

kernels said:
shmandi said:
The way I read you, you would just toss everything in AR. Yes, hard way is also a way to learn...

Quote of the day :lol:

:lol:
Yes....yes it is. But, isn't it better to learn via reading about the processes, and seeing the issues that others have encountered by doing the same thing that you propose? It may take some time to go over and read everything here on the forum in regards to escrap in AR.. But, that time you will spend doing that is EXPONENTIALLY less than the time you will kill by just "dumping it all together and let 'her rip!" then trying to figure out "where's my gold?!?".

Nobody here is trying to be condescending, on the contrary, we are all trying to help you not do foolish things that we have all done!

g_axelsson said:
The big guys smelt the material and create copper bars, in the process most of the precious metals are collected and recovered in the copper electrolysis step.

Thanks!
By any chance, do you know the name of the process in the academic world? Because I was trying to google "copper electrolysis" and can't find anything except extracting or purifying copper.
However I found this document:
http://www.ct.ufrgs.br/ntcm/graduacao/ENG06631/5-b_copper.pdf
"Ag, Au and Pt are more noble than copper and therefore will not dissolve
anodically. They will be found as metals in the anode slime;"
I do not understand fully what does it talk about, but looks like the document is on subject.

That document is spot on, and should be enough for building a copper refining cell. If you don't understand it you are lacking basic knowledge and you need to study more. "Electrorefining of copper" is the right scientific and engineering term.

Producing high enough copper quality by smelting isn't easy, you need to remove iron, zinc and other contamination first before the copper is good enough to be run in a cell without fouling the electrolyte too fast. This is a process that works best at a larger scale. The copper refinery close to me is running the copper smelter with batch sizes of hundreds of tons per melt.
There are some members that is refining electronics by smelting and a number of threads is discussing that. Use the forum search and study a lot more.

It is also considered good tone here on the forum to at least tell us where in the world you are from. You can do it in the user control panel. Rules, regulations, chemical names and availability differs between different geographical regions.

Göran

I separated the ashes in ferrous (right) and non-ferrous (left) with the magnet.
ashes.png

and I panned it, but didn't find any visible gold wires.
panning.png

I wonder if it would be better to pass the ashes through HCl to remove the tin (and iron if some of it is still present) before trying AR ?

In order to recover bonding wires efficiently you need to incinerate and grind material to flour consistency. Your material is too coarse, wires are likely still trapped inside.
You do it opposite way. You need to incinerate, grind and sieve material first. Then separate ferrous metal parts which should be just wires and pieces of metal shielding/heatspreaders and not whole pieces of not crushed IC.

Do yourself a favor, read through my thread, read it all, and only then try it. You will then see how it has to be done instead of shooting in the dark.

Thanks for the input.
0.5 g of gold is very low, I am puzzled.
Lets say I processed it and got the 0.5g but I still wouldn't understand where the gold leak is.
This is my math:
One ton of mobile phones produces 300g of gold
One ton of mobile phones can contain maximum of 17,000 phones, minimum 10,000, suppose we have 17,000
Gold plated items (cables, plastics, cameras, etc) contain microscopic amount of gold per kg, so we consider it 0. Then all the gold must be located on the board in components.
1kg of mobile phones will contain 0.3 grams of gold (300/1000) and 17 mobile phone boards (17,000/1000) . (according to reported data)
Since I have already stripped off all the plastic parts, my kg of scrap contains only boards , I have counted them, and I have 120 boards in those 2kg, which means there is around 60 mobile phone boards per kg.
So, at least I must produce 3.52 (60/17) times more gold than the reported statistics, or exactly 1 gram of gold per kg (3.52 x 0.3g). If I would process 2kg, the yield must be 2 grams, but I got only 100g of chips, and as you say, there is not enough gold there to complete 2 grams, 1.5g is missing.
This is why I scratch my head and say, where is the gold leak ???? An enormous black hole in statistics , I would say
As far as I know in 4kg of Pcb you can get around 7g or a litle more

I just turned off the incineration process. I processed the chips together with the small items (resistors, capacitors and other tiny stuff) and I have some substance of yellow color at the top. Is this some dangerous compound? Or maybe it is sulfur? I didn't see this yellow stuff on youtube videos, probably I did something wrong. I had it for 1 hour burning, at the beginning there was some small smoke, but after about 40 minutes smoke totally disappeared. Probably I shouldn't mix the chips with the small items.
Here is the pic:
View attachment 35247
Before you incinerate you have to pyrolyze without oxygen, burn the released toxic gases completely and when everything is reduced to carbon, incinerate.

The way you did it only takes gold up in smoke and shortens your lifespan if those gases are inhaled.

Stop and study. There are no shortcuts here.
Suggest your idea before you try it.

As said, treat different components separately to recover the5 precious metals. Then refine to separate the values.
Edited: I just realized i replied to a five year old post...
Senn, you sure do get things confused.

Last edited:
Before you incinerate you have to pyrolyze without oxygen, burn the released toxic gases completely and when everything is reduced to carbon, incinerate.

The way you did it only takes gold up in smoke and shortens your lifespan if those gases are inhaled.

Stop and study. There are no shortcuts here.
Suggest your idea before you try it.

As said, treat different components separately to recover the5 precious metals. Then refine to separate the values.
Edited: I just realized i replied to a five year old post...
Senn, you sure do get things confused.
100% coreect🤦‍♂️

100% coreect🤦‍♂️i saw someone depopulating the boards and burning them all then burning all the small parts and processing both with aqua Regia then he used sulphuric acid for the ICs in stainless steel 304 grade pot and what came out of there was 7g of gold total he maybe did it wrong or right but that's what I saw I will send the link to his page

These items we shall need for gold recovery from gold fingers.

1. Nitric Acid (HNO3)
  2. Hydrochloric Acid (HCl)
  3. Sodium Metabisulfite (SMB)
  4. Urea
  5. Filter Paper

Dissolving:​

Take gold fingers in bucket or beaker. Add HCl until gold fingers dip. If 1 liter HCl use then adds 250 ml water. Now add some nitric acid. Don’t add a large quantity of nitric acid. Only 50 to 100 ml nitric acid use every time. Add nitric acid until all metals of gold fingers dissolve. Leave the solution for four hours and give some shake after every hour.

Precipitation:​

After four hours filter the solution with filter paper or fabric.

Wash well. After washing, add urea to neutralize nitric acid in our gold solution. If you don’t use. You will face trouble for precipitation of gold. Add urea until reaction and then give a twist to the solution. Take about 20-gram SMB for 1 kg gold fingers. Dissolve SMB(sodium metabisulfite) in 1-liter water. Then add SMB solution to the gold (royal water)solution. Leave it overnight

Latest posts

Back