Processing top hat transistors

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohiogoldfever

Hey guys. I have two separate questions. I hope you guys can help keep me in line.

1. I have 2-3 kilos of top hat transistors to process. They vary in type, some are resin cast, some are solid with plated bottoms. First off, how is best to crack these guys open? I’ve tried side cutters, nippers and dykes. Seems to be a pile of work to get the caps off each one. Maybe just smash them up with a hammer or in my dolly pot?

2. I have about a kilo of mixed pins. Some from transistors, some from plugs and other connectors. Magnetic and non magnetic are currently in this bowl. My plan is to digest them in AP as time is not a concern and that seems to be the most straight forward way I have at the moment to run them. Should I separate them into two piles? Magnetic / non magnetic before digesting them?

Thank you for any help you can give.

Attachments

• 388D3F76-A547-4F20-8217-7BE619F30345.jpeg
    388D3F76-A547-4F20-8217-7BE619F30345.jpeg
    3.2 MB
  • BBFB7ADA-EE56-434B-B716-A301595B2A00.jpeg
    BBFB7ADA-EE56-434B-B716-A301595B2A00.jpeg
    3.2 MB
While not answering your questions fully I would say separating your materials as much as possible before processing is always a good idea, if one lot gives problems it’s only that lot not all your material.

Thanks Nick. That makes good sense. I have run a couple piles of pins so far but those runs have been 500g piles of all the same pin.

This is a mixed up pile of all kids of stuff.

Makes sense to separate your right.

Some seem to have white thermal paste inside them.

Anyone experience this before? How should I deal with that?

Just a reminder - some of those vintage transistors bring more $ on eBay than you'll ever recover in gold values.

2N404 transistors in the pic go for $1.89 each (used) on eBay - putting 10 or more in a lot for a fixed price also seems to bring buyers. The germanium types (2N404 and 2N1307 in the pic) have a following with those that build effects pedals for guitars.

Sell the transistors, buy karat gold, just my advice.

Thanks for the info Findem

I know that some of the things I scrap could bring more in paper currency than the gold yield but unless it’s a blinding difference I plan to just run them. I hardly have time for hobby’s as it is so adding eBay listings, shipping and the additional BS to that doesn’t interest me much. That’s not to say I don’t set aside the gems that pop up. I do have several kilos of these so I’ll be sure to set a pile aside that come off in good condition in case someone could use them. Otherwise in to the soup they go.

Latest posts

Back