Proper Order For Refining

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomcat7475

In what order do you you go for the precious metals after prepping the chips through incineration and screening? Had about 4 pounds of chips that I have prepped, but not sure the order on which to recover the metals. Thanks

Maybe I did not word this correctly. What metals are worth going for and in what order do you do them? I was thinking after getting rid of the base metals using nitric to recover the silver. Then using aqua regia to do the gold. Would there be any other metals worth going for?

To the best of my knowledge there is little or - NO - silver (&/or NO PGMs) in IC chips

There "may" be some VERY rare exceptions

There are base metals (kovar, copper, aluminum - & tin if the solder is not removed)

organics (epoxy)

base metal oxides (fillers in the epoxy)

the silicon dies

and the gold bonding wires

I have done probably somewhere around a ton (2,000 pounds) of IC chips (the epoxy type) over the years & have not seen any other PMs other then the gold in them

ceramic IC chips are a different story - SOME of them do have silver & PGMS

Bottom line (concerning epoxy IC chips) get rid of the base metals - then go for the gold

Kurt

There can be some silver and palladium in the lead frame. Is it worth to chase? That's your call.

This patent is from 2001 https://www.freepatentsonline.com/6194777.html

Some interesting tidbits can be found in the BACKROUND section.
BACKGROUND OF THE INVENTION

Integrated circuit chips are generally attached to leadframes which provide a way to make an electrical connection to a printed wiring board. The chip is coupled from its bonding pads to the lead fingers of the leadframe by way of gold wires, and the chip along with the inner portion of the lead frame are encapsulated in a package for environmental protection. The leads which remain external to the plastic encapsulation are then soldered to a printed wiring board surface, typically using a solder paste.

The leadframe is formed of highly electrically conductive material, such as copper, copper alloys, or alloy 42 by stamping or etching a metal blank into a plurality of leads, and an area where the chip is mounted. Attachment of the chip to the leadframe, wirebonding and soldering require a particular quality of leadframe surface. Most often the surface to be bonded must be free of oxides or other contaminants, and amenable to metallic interaction with other components, such as gold wire, or solder. For this to be attainable, the surface finish of the leadframe finish plays and an important role.

Stamped or etched lead frames are typically plated with a layer of nickel to cover the bare metal, and to serve as a barrier against copper diffusion, as well as to protect the plating bath from contaminants.

Various approaches for treating the bonding surfaces have been employed. Silver plating of the entire leadframe has been largely abandoned because silver migration between external leads resulted in short circuits. Spot silver plating the internal lead fingers provided a bondable surface for gold wires, and the external leads were coated with solder, either by plating or by solder dipping. This multistep process has added expense. Further, delamination of molding compound from lead frames with spot silver plating on the bond fingers and on the chip paddle has been identified as the cause of a failure which frequently occurs during solder reflow of the package to the printed wiring board.

More recently, the entire lead frame surface has been plated with palladium or palladium alloys over nickel containing layers. The nickel acts as a barrier against copper diffusion, as well as protects the plating baths from contaminants. The palladium plated finish provides a bondable surface. A leadframe plating technology which has been in high volume production for a number of years includes the following layers; a nickel strike, a nickel/palladium flash, a thick nickel plate and a palladium layer. A nickel strike over a base copper lead frame is provided to cover the copper and to protect the plating bath from contamination. The nickel/palladium flash serves to inhibit galvanic corrosion by a palladium/copper couple and the thick nickel plate inhibits diffusion of copper during thermal excursions encountered in the assembly of the integrated circuit packages. The thickness of each of the layers is tightly specified to assure that its intended purpose is accomplished.

The final, surface layer of palladium provides a bondable surface. It is well known that palladium is readily soluble in solder and the surface layer will be sacrificed during solder reflow. Palladium is specified in sufficient thickness to protect the underlying nickel from oxidation during assembly of the integrated circuit package so that solderability will not be compromised. Typically palladium plating thickness is 3 to 10 microinches over the entire surface of the leadframe and is applied by flood type electroplating.

However, there is a persistent need to improve and simplify current leadframes and plating procedures, while retaining all the desirable characteristics of palladium plated surfaces.

SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION

The primary object of the present invention is to provide a leadframe having a palladium surface finish with all the desirable characteristics of said finish, but without wasting precious metal as routinely required in prior systems. It is a feature of this invention that the portion of the leadframe which is external to the plastic package and which comes into contact with solder comprises palladium, in a minimum of 3 microinches thickness, and the internal portion of the unit has a lower palladium plating thickness. Said internal plating thickness comprising palladium is a minimum of 1 microinch; this level which has been shown to be sufficient for thermosonic bonding to gold wires. The external plating thickness is unchanged from present technology and therefore, does not cause any disruption in the user board assembly process.

It is also a feature of the present invention that said leadframe presents a single surface composition to the encapsulating molding compounds, and that surface provides good adhesion to molding compounds.

It is further a discovery of the present invention that because the leadframe finish comprises only a palladium plated surface, variations in thickness at the transition area constitute no reliability or cosmetic problems. Such variations typically occur with spot plating as a result of plating solution bleed at the masked interface. This feature permits relaxed specifications for edge control of the plated spot.

So small amounts of palladium is plated on the lead frame in plastic molded chips. The palladium on the pins on the outside is dissolved into the solder during the assembly process of a board.
For older plastic chips the lead frame were often silver plated, showing up as black stained pins on some circuits. I now realize that some chips I've soldered that had bright mirror finish was probably palladium plated.

The palladium lead finish plating for integrated circuits were introduced by Texas Instruments in 1989 and seems to have dominated their chip manufacturing for a least 10 years. If it still is in use or a cheaper alternative has been found I don't know.
https://www.ti.com/lit/ml/sdyv001/sdyv001.pdf?ts=1612611850569&ref_url=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.com%252F

I don't know if the amount of silver and palladium is enough to warrant the extra work to go after it. The type and age of scrap we each get is different, so the only way to know is to test your scrap. A simple way is to do a small batch, dissolve the base metal with nitric, filter, add HCl to precipitate silver, denox it and test the remaining solution, preferably with DMG. The silver chloride and palladium DMG salt can be reduced back into metal or weighed as it is after proper drying.

My guess is that silver will never warrant it's cost of recovery. Palladium might be if your scrap is of the right composition. Palladium can be recovered from a nitrate and a chloride solution. If you dissolve the metal fraction in copper chloride the palladium will also dissolve. Then cementing copper on iron will carry the palladium with it. So in the end in your waste treatment you will have a dirty copper powder containing some amounts of palladium. This can be separated cheaply in bulk in a copper cell, leaving palladium in the anode slime.

At least that is my plan. I've been collecting the copper from my waste processing. Any gold or PGM that I missed in the first go I'll catch when I eventually process the copper.

Göran

Leach the fines in nitric acid first. It will put all the troublesome metals in solution. After the reaction, neutralize any left over nitric acid. Filter the solution until clear and add HCl. Any silver will precipitate as insoluble silver chloride. remove the solution from the silver chloride by carefully decanting the solution to another container. Add a piece of solid, heavy copper to the solution to cement any surviving precious metals. It helps to add a bubbler to the solution when cementing.

Latest posts

Back