Pulverized unpopulated circuit boards with shaker table

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjavanb123

All,

The result of my pulverized boards just came in this morning, looks very promising, I sent 9kg boards, almost 5kg was smaller than 30 mesh, thanks to the folks at Mt Baker Mining Co.

They have sent me 4 baggies, containing high concentrate, concentrate, middling and tailing, anyone in the US so I can ship them the result for further testing? What tests to do? ICP for 3 of them but fire assay the high concentrate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmFUhKoD6Dw

Please advise.
Regards
Kevin

Keven

Awesome video - how where the boards pulverized ?

Do I understand correct - these where boards that had already been de-populated ?

what type boards ?

Kurt

Kurtak,

The boards were not depopulated, I pulverize them as whole in my hammer mill, screen the result into - 30 mesh, -200mesh and +30 mesh.
Sent the Mt Baker Mining equipment, 9 kg (18lbs), of which 5kg (10lbs) were -30 and -200 mesh, which was run in their shaker table.
Boards were mix of digital telephone boards and low grade telecomm as seen in the following photo,
image.jpg

Now I recieved 4 bags containing different discharge ports of their shaker table, I would like to send them to a lab or someone on this forum to find out the amount of gold, and other metals in each bag, also if there is any metals including PMs that stuck in tailing in fiberglass epoxy.

If the loss of precious metals is not that much we can certainly use my hammer mill and their shaker table to separate gold and other metals from boards.

Regards,
Kevin

Thanks Keven

I will be looking forward to the pictures as I am hoping to build something here in the future & I remember you posting something about having one built - from the description I remember it sounded like what I have been thinking about so it will be interesting to see what & how it turned out

Kurt

All,

Here are some pictures from my custom made hammer mill that takes circuit boards unpopulated and produces a 30 to 200 mesh pulverized powder.

image.jpg

Inside as you can see in the following pictures blades are attached, but there is a gap of an inch between the end of blades and the body of mill, in order to prevent the boards get stuck there and halt the system,
image.jpg

Also entry port taks the boards in, needs improvment as operator must open the hatch and manually drop the boards in while doing so, powders come out,
image.jpg

In the first photo, the curvy pipe coming out of the mill on the left is attached to a bag to collect the powder coming out.

Also need some works as for the gap in the blades must be minimized so all feed in boards grinded to 200 mesh, as of now only half gets pulverize to 30-200 mesh rest are 10-30 mesh size.

Regards
Kevin

I have been following this pretty closely. I think it is awesome! Have you assayed the finished concentrates?

Smack,

Not quite sure about your post about floor is ceiling.

Jdeluisa,
Thanks for the comment. There will be assayed this week hopefully.

Regards
Kevin

Try previewing your post prior to posting it. I find it comical but yet strikes me as lazy that you would take the time to take the pictures and then post them and then run out of gas and be like, that's good enough, they can just tilt their head to see the picture. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing correctly. It's not like this is the first time someone's made a comment to you about this same thing. If you can exert the effort to turn the camera to take the picture, feel free to break a sweat editing the picture to rotate it back. It's like punting on 1st and goal at the 5 yard line.

If you are refering to the last picture it shows inside the hammer miller where boards are fed, it is wide mouth and narrow neck until it reaches the bottom cyliender where hammer mill and motor are located, all the photos were shot straight and not angeled. So if anything in particullar please let me know.

Regards
Kevin

I have a very similar mill. I tried the same thing with old computer scrap but it seems like I had a lot of +30 mesh. I have been thinking about making a ball mill to process it further. Can't wait to see how much came out of your experiment.

spaceships said:
What about the exterior pic Kevin?

Spaceship,

If you are talking about the exterior picture, it is straight in my computer or when I load this post, is it reversed in your computer?

Jdeluisa,
I doubt ball mill would be functional for this matter. The way I have seen done in China, two-axle shredder to output boards into 2x2 cm pieces, then they go into a hammer mill similar to what I have but thicker blades and lots more of them and close almost 1mm or less to the body of hammer mill.
Then there is a screen at the output so only a unique size come out of the hammer mill.
I will keep the results here in this post.

Regards
Kevin

Seems my screen size is a little bigger so I may have to fix it. My mill is for processing hard rock ore which seems to shatter and powder where as the boards seem more flexible and fly around the inside of the mill so I have a bunch of 8th inch peices. I will install a smaller screen and see if it helps.

I forgot to mention having a small magnet separator right after output of your shredder would eliminate most of nickel iron before they go to hammer mill which can save on hammer mill life prolonging.

Take a look at mt baker mining and metals site they have a brochure about their hammer mills interior will give you ideas.

Regards
Kevin

Assay result should be complete for around 22nd of Dec. I will share them in this post.

Regards,
Kevin

Hey Kevin, would like to know your thoughts on this.

I read a few papers lately and one averaged the content of PCB's from various sources. Gold 0.039% by weight, silver 0.156%, copper 18.448%, palladium 0.009%, other metals 9.35%, non-metals 72%. So in one KG there should be 390 mg of gold, etc? The paper discusses the process for removing metals with acids and electrolysis after the boards were pulverized to a consistent particle size of 1.2 mm with a recovery rate of about 80-90 percent. Based on what you have seen how do you feel your process compares?

Latest posts

Back