Pulverized unpopulated circuit boards with shaker table

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FrugalRefiner said:
kjavanb123 said:
Now by adding the gold content of each bags, there should be total of 0.81g of gold assuming 100% from each bags. Bag 1 which contained 0.48g has 0.48g x 100 divided by 0.81g or 59.25% of total gold in 5.8kg pulverized boards, bag 2 has 25.92% recovery rate and finally tailing or discharge port 3 has 14.81% recovery rate.
Based on your math (which I haven't checked) I'm not sure I see a great advantage to using the shaker table. You'll still need to process ALL the material to get your gold. I can see that the table gives you a much higher percentage of gold per unit weight in the first hole, and that the material from hole 2 is richer than hole 3, but unless you process the material from hole 3, you're going to walk away from 14.81% of your gold. Maybe, in your particular circumstances, that works for you.

Now, if you'd said that the hole 3 material only contained, say, 5% of the gold, I would be much more impressed.

It's been interesting to follow this thread and see what you're trying to do, but, at 1.03 toz per ton, the material from hole 3 is richer than most commercially processed ores. What do you plan to do with this toxic waste if you don't process it?

Dave

Hi Dave,

By processing the comcentrate from hole 1, I can get most of gold which is going to be sold to purchase next lot of boards, then sell the concentrate in port 2 to copper refiner, and hole 3 which accounts for a large volume to oversea sweep refineries.

So nothing wasted, plus the volume of concentrate from port 1 is the smallest of all the other ones that can be done chemically or re run on the table to get the gold without the chemicals.

Regards
Kj

Barren,

Yes indeed some fine tuning the table would make much better recovery rate, but with my purchase price of boards I am pleased with this result.

Regards
Kj

kjavanb123 said:
By processing the comcentrate from hole 1, I can get most of gold which is going to be sold to purchase next lot of boards,

Regards
Kj

Kevin

Like Dave I have been following this with interest - so if I understand right concentrates from hole #1 you are going to process?

then sell the concentrate in port 2 to copper refiner

Is that being done as an out right sale with a per pound price (like selling a ton of say brown boards) & if so what is price per pound?

or is it getting processed where in you pay a processing fee & then get paid out a percentage on the metals? (copper/silver/gold/palladium/etc.)

and hole 3 which accounts for a large volume to oversea sweep refineries.

This I assume would be done by getting processed where in you pay a processing fee & then get paid out a percentage on the metals?

If so what would the processing fees be & what metals do you get paid out on & what percentage do you get paid?

I ask because I think hole #3 is going to cost you more money just in the processing fees then the value in it (in other words you are going to get a bill from the company not a check)& there will be other cost besides the processing fee like drying, packaging, labor to do that, & shipping

Hole #2 (if its being processed rather then sold out right) is more then likely going to be the same (cost more then the value) lucky to brake even - or at best "small" profit - that may or may not cover cost to get it to the smelter (drying, packaging, labor to do that, & shipping)

My point is that if hole #3 &/or hole #2 cost you money to send out & have processed - that cost will need to be taken out of hole #1 thereby reducing the actual profit of hole #1

So you may be better off "selling" hole #3 & hole #2 (combined) out right if you can find a buyer that will pay out right based on low grade brown board price

I mention this because when I talked with 3 different smelters I was told that in order to get paid out on gold - they had to run 6 - 6.5 ozt Au/ton (depending on company) & holes #3 & #2 don't ad up to that much --- also you had to have 5 - 10 ton (depending on company) to be processed

Kurt

kjavanb123 said:
Barren,

Yes indeed some fine tuning the table would make much better recovery rate,

Regards
Kj

I wanted to comment on this as well but forgot in my earlier post

Kevin - I think what you will find here is that by fine tuning the table you "may" get some improvement in recovery to hole #1 - don't expect much improvement not at 30 minus mesh

I suspect that a lot of the gold going to holes #2 & #3 are being carried there because they are still tied up in the over size (larger) pieces of material (between 30 - 80 mesh)

in order to get a "much improved recovery" going to hole #1 you are going to need to get the material ground much finer - at least 60 - 80 minus

Kurt

kjavanb123 said:
By processing the comcentrate from hole 1, I can get most of gold which is going to be sold to purchase next lot of boards, then sell the concentrate in port 2 to copper refiner, and hole 3 which accounts for a large volume to oversea sweep refineries.
Wait. What? Now I'm truly confused. Throughout all your discussion of processing these boards, I thought you've said you were not allowed to send this material out for processing. That's the reason you've been trying to find a way to process this yourself. Now, you say you're going to send the hole 2 and 3 material overseas? If you can ship this stuff off, why are you messing around with grinding and shaker tables? Ship it all off, as others have suggested all along, and collect a check.

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
kjavanb123 said:
Wait. What? Now I'm truly confused. Throughout all your discussion of processing these boards, I thought you've said you were not allowed to send this material out for processing. That's the reason you've been trying to find a way to process this yourself. Now, you say you're going to send the hole 2 and 3 material overseas? If you can ship this stuff off, why are you messing around with grinding and shaker tables? Ship it all off, as others have suggested all along, and collect a check.

Dave

Dave,

According to Basel convesion, and agreement terms with local authorities I am not permitted to sell boards, not the recovered products from processing them. So whatever discharged from ports in table can be sold in the market.

Kevin

Like Dave I have been following this with interest - so if I understand right concentrates from hole #1 you are going to process?

Yes, since the volume is small I believe it can be processed in house using chemicals.

then sell the concentrate in port 2 to copper refiner

Is that being done as an out right sale with a per pound price (like selling a ton of say brown boards) & if so what is price per pound?

As far as I know, there are a copper mine that produces copper concentrates using flotation, and they sell their concentrates to copper refinery based on gold, silver and copper values in concentrate, so I was thinking to propose similar action to the refinery, and see what they respond.
Due to its amountnof tin solders in discharged port 2, prior to smelting it, somehow I need to elimiate tin lead and zinc from it.

Or,

Consult with a company called electrometal, that designs the electrolysis cells for Xtrasa mining, they might be able to set up small scale system, that can dissolve, extract copper and collect slimes using electrolysis.

and hole 3 which accounts for a large volume to oversea sweep refineries.

This I assume would be done by getting processed where in you pay a processing fee & then get paid out a percentage on the metals?

If so what would the processing fees be & what metals do you get paid out on & what percentage do you get paid?

This is also another unknown for me, there are a lot of sweep refiners around the globe, and there are companies that process low grade gold tailings, so having 1 toz of gold per ton, plus other precious metals and copper, maybe heap leaching? Or tank cyanide leaching?

Again there is a gold mine in close proximity in Saudi Arabia, now that I have the analysis for tailing I need to send them a letter and find out how we can agree.

I ask because I think hole #3 is going to cost you more money just in the processing fees then the value in it (in other words you are going to get a bill from the company not a check)& there will be other cost besides the processing fee like drying, packaging, labor to do that, & shipping

Hole #2 (if its being processed rather then sold out right) is more then likely going to be the same (cost more then the value) lucky to brake even - or at best "small" profit - that may or may not cover cost to get it to the smelter (drying, packaging, labor to do that, & shipping)

My point is that if hole #3 &/or hole #2 cost you money to send out & have processed - that cost will need to be taken out of hole #1 thereby reducing the actual profit of hole #1

So you may be better off "selling" hole #3 & hole #2 (combined) out right if you can find a buyer that will pay out right based on low grade brown board price

I mention this because when I talked with 3 different smelters I was told that in order to get paid out on gold - they had to run 6 - 6.5 ozt Au/ton (depending on company) & holes #3 & #2 don't ad up to that much --- also you had to have 5 - 10 ton (depending on company) to be processed

Kurt[/quote]

If I can get the gold from discharged concentrate from hole #1, and sell it I can purchase same volume of boards, and any silver, palladium, tin, lead, and tantalum or copper that can be recovered will be added value. I personally think there is a way of doing this, since we get rid of most of fiberglass and plastics on shaker table, then based on the assay result, there has to be optimum methods of recovery the most of metals.

I have recovered tin solders from board (telecomm boards post), cyanide leaching the plated gold before grindimg them, would actually recover some of the gold that would end up in hole 2,

Or recover gold chemically from hole 1 concentrate, collect and smelt hole 2 materials until they reach a large volume, then sell that base on assay, meanwhile gold recovery from hole 1 pays for next load of boards.

This is just a start, and I am trying to take next steps.

Regards
Kevin

kurtak said:
kjavanb123 said:
Barren,

Yes indeed some fine tuning the table would make much better recovery rate,

Regards
Kj

I wanted to comment on this as well but forgot in my earlier post

Kevin - I think what you will find here is that by fine tuning the table you "may" get some improvement in recovery to hole #1 - don't expect much improvement not at 30 minus mesh

I suspect that a lot of the gold going to holes #2 & #3 are being carried there because they are still tied up in the over size (larger) pieces of material (between 30 - 80 mesh)

in order to get a "much improved recovery" going to hole #1 you are going to need to get the material ground much finer - at least 60 - 80 minus

Kurt

Kurt,

I thought bout this, and I read a post that indicted a 4.4 toz of gold for this type of boards which I sent two batches, Nd assay for both batches show very similar to that number of gold, so it seems t minus mesh 30 most of the gold are at port 1 and 2 of shaker table.

My pulverized boards pass mesh 30 and very small amount of that actually pass mesh 200, so that result is less than mesh 30 and greater than mesh 200, I have to find out how much of it as you said between mesh 60 or 80.

It is obvious the smaller the pulverizing the more gold bonding wires liberate, I have not found anything else to do the job except a zm200 model by a German company named Retch, it can grind boards to minus mesh 100.

Regards
Kj

All,

I finally had a chance to get on desktop computer and can post the complete assay result for second batch of pulverized boards which Steve ran on their 2x4 shaker table. Also included a link to video of him while running the materials on their shaker table, with assay results and ppm recovery percentage he talks about at the end of video.

I am consulting with another company called "Electrometals Group Co", in regards to recovery of tin, lead, copper, and possibly palladium using their electrowinning technology. I will post that results and conclusion in another post. Here is their links for further studying.
www.electrometals.com

Here is the assay results on discharged materials from running the boards on shaker table, as Steve explains it in the video, KJ bag 1 contains the high grade concentrates, KJ bag 2 middling, and KJ bag 3 tailing.
View attachment 2nd ewaste batch assay result.PDF

Here is the video of Steve running the materials on shaker table, and their detail analysis of assay results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReOQ1uFvsZs&google_comment_id=z13wf1hbdvvzhb2an04ccvybnz2qt5qbxow0k&google_view_type#gpluscomments

Your comments and advise have been really helpful as always, please do leave comments.

Regards
Kevin

I think the shaker table should have a better spot to add concentrates like that. I would want to dilute it with more water before introducing it on the table. One other thing I can't picture is how gold plated fingers would work on the table? They are so light from newer boards hard to imagine that they would stay in any of the groves.

79chevel,

Thanks for your comment. This post snd shaker table design have been improved drastically since the date of this post. Steve from Mt. Baker mining and metals llc have designed a complete system that takes in the populated boards in their hammer mill, it get pulverized to 5mm sizes, while being mixed with water, then onto their shaker table, metallics pieces move to ports 1,2 and 3, while oversized tailing are pumped back to a hydrocyclone where the finer pieces go back to tailing bucket while coarse pieces back to the hammer mill for further reduction.

I smelted a sample of materials from port 1,2 and 3 which was sent by Steve and from 4kg of them got 3.3g of pure gold button. That turns out to be 240g per metric ton of boards, so it means the shaker table 3 ports have recovered almost 95% of gold.

Regards
Kj

Hi All
Sorry to revive an old post.

kjavanb123 are you still pursuing this method? Have you had any further success with it? Is there anyone else on this forum that has had any success using this method of extraction?
Cheers
Tim

Shaker tables are OLD technology. One thing you need to remember is that the person operating it, and the operating parameters are going to be determining what ends up in what spot.

One of my friends ran one for a long time, and HATED it. You are always chasing a variable, and you usually don't know what that variable is.

What I don't understand is why not just run all of the metals, flux off the wastes, and just assay representative samples of the non-metal.

Hi Tim,

I did not pursue this project as I went to smelting path and it is great.

I believe their shaker table does an excellent job in separation, and it is best suited if you smelt the cons and produce a copper dore.

Regards
Kj

Kevin,
Did you ever Persue the electro metal recovery technology that you posted the thread too?
Were you able to get any type of cost for a set up? Recovery rates, etc?
Love your posts!

Did you come to any conclusions such as minimum channel length's or designee.
I am looking at tables and the choice and guff people put out about each unit is staggering.
Any insight as to characteristics suited to pulverised e-waste would be very helpful.

lunker said:
Kevin,
Did you ever Persue the electro metal recovery technology that you posted the thread too?
Were you able to get any type of cost for a set up? Recovery rates, etc?
Love your posts!

Hi,

I only focused on shaker table function and recovery rate so did not have time to deal with electrolysis.

There is a series of videos in MBMMLLC youtube channel that they show how they use electrolysis to recover copper and precious metals from ore, the similar steps can be used for copper dore produced by melting concentrates from table and electrolysis.

There are some post by Deano, where he explains the electrolysis and electrowinning in great detail.

Regards
Kj

justinhcase said:
I am looking at tables and the choice and guff people put out about each unit is staggering.
Any insight as to characteristics suited to pulverised e-waste would be very helpful.

I do not know thay information. However, the company that we had tested their shaker tables have been modifying their tables for e-waste so much more than when I sent them very first sample of pulverized e-waste. So I assume their table is more tunned.

Regards
Kj

kjavanb123 said:
justinhcase said:

I do not know thay information. However, the company that we had tested their shaker tables have been modifying their tables for e-waste so much more than when I sent them very first sample of pulverized e-waste. So I assume their table is more tunned.

Regards
Kj
The table tuning will be an ongoing process throughout processing.having to alter reciprocation and harmonics with water flow to best suit the variations in material.This can be achieved by experimentation as no material is lost so test's can be run again and again.
But planing a table must start with the channel designee and table length.They are too expensive to experiment with and none have mechanism to alter the table architecture.
To short a channel length and the process will be ineffective too long and you waste space and energy,to shallow or too deep and you will not affect a separation.
It is very much a "Goldy Locks" equation.
very hard to get right for your material until you have a good pulverizing plant that will produce uniformed particles,then just the right table designee for that particle.
If you could ask your operator for some details on his observation's and channel choices it would be very useful.
Thanks
J

Latest posts

Back