Questions and verification guys.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nickvc said:
If you keep using the same silver for inquarting the gold should report back into the next lot you process, you may carry some of the gold over again but it shouldn't increase the amount of gold held in your silver by much or if at all if your careful, as I stated it was trace amounts of gold not very much per kilo around 0.1 - 0.5 grams if I remember correctly.

I really need to be careful then in pouring. Experience will teach me I'm sure but reading here is of big help as well.

Thanks for sharing nickvc!

H202 can be bought in drug stores as agua oxigenada though a bit expensive compared to buying in bulk as the chemical H202 itself.

Give it a try, see how the fumes go and how much nitric it will save. Compute then see if its worth the purchase. Its sole purpose is to scrub the fumes and convert them back to nitric.

autumnwillow said:
H202 can be bought in drug stores as agua oxigenada though a bit expensive compared to buying in bulk as the chemical H202 itself.

Give it a try, see how the fumes go and how much nitric it will save. Compute then see if its worth the purchase. Its sole purpose is to scrub the fumes and convert them back to nitric.

I will try it in my next batch sir Autumn. I am refining now and will try to crumble the gold as you have said.

I will update later for the result.

Thanks!

Aeon13 said:
autumnwillow said:

I will try it in my next batch sir Autumn. I am refining now and will try to crumble the gold as you have said.

Thanks!

Crumbling the gold allows it to have a higher surface area for the nitric to attack. Your end product should be a nice tan colored powder. Before proceeding with the washings wash well with distilled water before you proceed with HCL wash or you will dissolve some gold. If you do dissolve gold, use the SMB i gave you to precipitate it.

autumnwillow said:
Crumbling the gold allows it to have a higher surface area for the nitric to attack. Your end product should be a nice tan colored powder. Before proceeding with the washings wash well with distilled water before you proceed with HCL wash or you will dissolve some gold. If you do dissolve gold, use the SMB i gave you to precipitate it.

I assume you are talking about pouring it into a (deep) pan of water (the silver inquarted gold) we call that corn flake

Kurt

kurtak said:
I assume you are talking about pouring it into a (deep) pan of water (the silver inquarted gold) we call that corn flake

Kurt

Uhm no. We are talking about the corn flakes being digested in the nitric acid. Some people here prefer the corn flakes to maintain their shape so you can wash it easily. I find that fine if you are going to go for AR digest in the next step but Aeon is only doing nitric digestion and wants to achieve higher purity gold. So I advise him to break this corn flakes after a few nitric digestions and digest again in nitric so that the surface area that the acid can attack will be higher. What he should have as an end product should be very similar to precipitated gold from AR.

autumnwillow said:
kurtak said:

Kurt

Uhm no. We are talking about the corn flakes being digested in the nitric acid. Some people here prefer the corn flakes to maintain their shape so you can wash it easily. I find that fine if you are going to go for AR digest in the next step but Aeon is only doing nitric digestion and wants to achieve higher purity gold. So I advise him to break this corn flakes after a few nitric digestions and digest again in nitric so that the surface area that the acid can attack will be higher. What he should have as an end product should be very similar to precipitated gold from AR.

Ah - ok - somehow it went over my head what was actually being discussed :oops:

probable the fact that now that the weather is nice I & bunch of friends get together around the camp fire on Friday night for a good time of drinking beer & telling stories of our old exploits in life (ok - so we tell a lot of lies) :lol:

At least last night it seemed we where having a good time - today it felt more like a good time had me (especially early this morning) :mrgreen:

Anyway - on another note - I like the way your lab & refining are coming along since you joined the forum autumnwillow 8)

I don't comment &/or reply to very much of your stuff because (1) you are doing a fine job & (2) some of our other great members usually say what I would anyway

In other words - glad you are here :!:

Kurt

kurtak said:
Ah - ok - somehow it went over my head what was actually being discussed :oops:

probable the fact that now that the weather is nice I & bunch of friends get together around the camp fire on Friday night for a good time of drinking beer & telling stories of our old exploits in life (ok - so we tell a lot of lies) :lol:

At least last night it seemed we where having a good time - today it felt more like a good time had me (especially early this morning) :mrgreen:

Anyway - on another note - I like the way your lab & refining are coming along since you joined the forum autumnwillow 8)

I don't comment &/or reply to very much of your stuff because (1) you are doing a fine job & (2) some of our other great members usually say what I would anyway

In other words - glad you are here :!:

Kurt

Thank you Kurt, if it was not for you I could have built a failed fume hood. Although there are adjustments that needs to be made to my current fume hood, I would rather let it be for now and just replace it with a new one next time.

autumnwillow said:
Aeon13 said:
autumnwillow said:

Thanks!

I did the crumbling and yes the purity is better. Thanks Autumn!..But with the wash is where I'm wondering. I am not washing it with hydrochloric acid. I missed this step.

Whats the purpose of HCl wash? I did the inquartation by just having three cycles of diluted Nitric then wash with distilled then a last diluted acid boil before the final

distilled water wash.

Aeon13 said:
I did the crumbling and yes the purity is better. Thanks Autumn!..But with the wash is where I'm wondering. I am not washing it with hydrochloric acid. I missed this step.

Whats the purpose of HCl wash? I did the inquartation by just having three cycles of diluted Nitric then wash with distilled then a last diluted acid boil before the final

distilled water wash.

About that, I'm not a chemist but I think that there are some metals that HCL can dissolve that nitric cannot. I would also do a sulfuric wash if I were only using nitric to refine. Distilled water -> sulfuric -> distilled water -> HCL -> distilled water -> ammonia -> distilled water.

autumnwillow said:
Aeon13 said:

distilled water wash.

About that, I'm not a chemist but I think that there are some metals that HCL can dissolve that nitric cannot. I would also do a sulfuric wash if I were only using nitric to refine. Distilled water -> sulfuric -> distilled water -> HCL -> distilled water -> ammonia -> distilled water.

You are making things more difficult than they need to be. Just follow the suggestions give to you by the experienced members on how to process your material.

Latest posts

Back