Ram only gold plated on unpopulated side ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
modtheworld44 said:
spaceships said:
I think people need to be very careful bandying figures like 1g per Kg around in all fairness because then it becomes expected. The range is frankly enormous.

spaceships

I agree that bandying figures around is not a good practice,it gives false hope to newbies and other members alike that have not done a big enough batch to get a true result.I run a 21 pound batch of the fully depopulated ram sticks about 3 years ago and only got 0.2grams from it.This was about a year after I had started my own yield data base.

modtheworld44

Wow, that is terrible ! Do you by any chance have some guidance in your database about the yield from the memory chips from RAM sticks ?

Giving yield information out when it's hard earned commercially isn't something that many people will do. To learn that yield information costs many thousands of dollars. It's one thing to share stuff like I and others do when you're refining particular types of processors or maybe fingers but much of the other yield information cannot be treated that way as it compromises a companies trading.

I certainly would never disclose certain information as it would ruin a commercial advantage and I hope that people would understand that. Especially as that commercial advantage involves feeding my family. 8) 8)

Excuse my candour however I am sure you would expect nothing less from me.

Jon

Search forum. Read as much as you can. Many people posted their results. One point you need to remember is that mixed lots with many different types of IC will have different results. Difference is very large as there is simply way too many of different types. If you do have large lots try to separate them in different categories. I do use at least 3 with IC from RAM sticks. RAM with thin IC with legs on 2 sides, RAM with thick IC with legs on 2 sides and RAM IC with no legs - BGA type. Even separated as that they do tend to have various results every time I do them as there is simply zillion of types of IC.
If you search forum you will find threads like this, which may answer some of your question.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=22951

Thanks Patnor and Spaceships, I can understand your reluctance to share information that was paid for with lots of money and time. I guess I'm going to have to learn the hard way !

g_axelsson said:
And a bit off topic, some boards that actually are worth going after the plating under the solder mask is boards from HP equipment from the 1970-1985 era. They made some beautiful boards with fully gold plated wires and solder mask only on one side. If you have seen one you will know what I'm talking about. They don't make them like that any longer.
This is what I'm talking about...
IMG_20160527_154936.jpg
Göran

Hi Göran, very cool! The plating looks like quite a dark color on that photo. Is it just the lighting / camera, or is it a different karat of gold or just thicker plating ? I picked up a couple of more modern boards from a scrap guy recently. I believe they are out of a mobile phone tower, also fully gold plated top and bottom, will upload a pic tomorrow. Haven't decided how I will deal with them yet, so just have them sitting in my pile at the moment.

On these cards the plating is thick and with a mirror finish. Really hard to take a picture that shows the gold.

Modern cards could have a lot of golden surfaces but are usually made with gold flash. When dissolving the copper on a gold flash card the gold breaks down in small flakes. When dissolving the copper on the HP cards the gold comes off in large sections.

Göran

Hi Göran, a bit late, but here are some pictures of the boards I got:

goldboards1.jpg

goldboards2.jpg

The color is not great in the photo, but they look pretty great to the naked eye. I should have put something for scale, but the larger board is about the size of a A4 paper

Take a pencil with rubber at the end. Have a go on them and you will see that you will be able to "erase" this plating with ease. That is what flash plating look like. If you will not be able to erase plating it may be slightly better. Plating like this may break to powder when in AP, hardly foils like we see coming off fingers. This kind of plating is for shielding purposes where plating on fingers need to be thicker as they are designed for repeated insertion in slots.

kernels said:
Hi Patnor, will give that a try. To the inexperienced those boards look fantastic, but I guess they may end up not being all that good!
Did you have tryed something ? any idea of the yield ?
I Have got about 300 kg of those boards :mrgreen:

razvanflorin said:
kernels said:
Hi Patnor, will give that a try. To the inexperienced those boards look fantastic, but I guess they may end up not being all that good!
Did you have tryed something ? any idea of the yield ?
I Have got about 300 kg of those boards :mrgreen:

Hi there, yes, ran those boards recently and results were extremely disappointing. I ended with such a small amount of powder that I didn't even bother to melt and weigh, I estimate 0.2 or so gram for the two boards plus a couple of smaller gold flashed boards. I have ended up deciding that gold 'flash' on boards is not worth the effort or waste acid.

I would still recommend maybe running 2kg of your boards and just confirming for yourself what you will get.

Latest posts

Back