re: huge precipitation from cat act 3

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeranoff

I dissolved the black mud in true ar and filtered off a mud that was both grey and black. I boiled the acid down twice adding hcl and then distilled water the last time. Added ammonium chlorite, no reaction it dissolved but there was no reaction, so I took some acid and added sodium chlorate and got nothing. The ammonium chlorite was bought back in 1998, could it be too old? I am getting a positive stannous but nothing is dropping out, what do I do?
thanks,
steve

Steve

Use ammonium chloride followed by sodium chlorate.

The solution should be very concentrated (deep red like blood) and hot before adding the reagents. Be sure you add the sodium chlorate in very small amounts as the solution will foam when it is added. The video demonstrates this.

Steve

after denoxxing the true ar is a rich orange color. the hcl and water is red but not quite wine red but it hasn't been concentrated. The denoxxed ar doesn't fizz or react to the ammonium chloride or sodium chlorate, could a need some free hcl to help the process?

Steve,

I want to back up a little as you have posted two very similar questions and I am answering with both threads in my mind.

The mixed PGM powder from the zinc precipitation was gray and black before a boil in HCl. The HCl turned red. This is red liquid likely the location of most of your Palladium. The red extract with HCl is indicative of Palladium. Treat this red solution as I have described.

The remaining black powder from the mixed PGMs contains any Platinum and Rhodium present. Treat it with concentrated AR as demonstrated on the DVD. There may be a small amount of Pd present in this powder also.

Steve

Hey Steve, I just rewatched the dvd and I realize my mistake. After boiling the acid down I added distilled water without first adding hcl to finish driving the nitric off. Is this batch lost or can I salvage it, I've already added ammonium chloride to the watered down acid.
please help,
steve

Steve,

Just boil down until an orange-yellow powder forms, then continue where you left off (Orange-yellow is Pt salt, red is palladium salt-- test with stannous to be sure).

Steve

Latest posts

Back