Recovering Plated Scrap Using Lazersteve's DVD

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
texan said:
kadriver said:
I have also taken the advice given me and do not filter the residue. There really is no need.
The only need to filter when processing materials such as this is just before precipitation, with one exception, noted below. It makes no sense to filter, when you are removing traces of the very thing you hope to retain---the values.

Solutions should be allowed the opportunity to settle, then decanted by siphoning. That eliminates the need to filter solutions that do not cooperate.

A great trick to remember when processing gold filled items, often contaminated with lead and tin, is to do the preliminary processing with dilute nitric, which removes the base metals, then to gather all of the solids after rinsing well with (tap) water, and incinerating the lot, filter and all. This is one exception to not filtering, and for good reason.

After the solids have been freed of moisture, they should be incinerated (including the filter), then given a wash in hot HCl. This process removes material that makes filtering of the gold chloride solution troublesome, and, best of all, keeps the traces of gold in the circuit, traces that are discarded in the way of purple mud.

Harold

I used the DVD titled "Processing Gold Filled Scrap" purchased from Lazersteve's web page. I had great fun, I learned a ton, and I got a piece of gold.

I followed the DVD to the best of my ability and I got a good result!

Thanks to this fourm and Thanks to Lazersteve.

Harold, I just copied and pasted your input. I will use this proceedure next time I do a load of gold filled scrap. Thank you,
kadriver

Since making the Gold Filled DVD I too have changed to using the wash, settle, and siphon technique Harold mentions. It saves having to deal with the filter collecting some of the gold. In my latr DVDs you'll notice I use the wash, settle, and siphon technique throughout.

Perhaps I should compile a list of changes that I have adopted since the filming of each DVD as I am always trying to improve the processes.

Steve

Latest posts

Back