recovery question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phishin_ca said:
myfalconry76 said:
I tried to filter off my foils today 3 times and after about 5 minutes the filter would break and my gold would fall through.
The method I've chosen for recovery is just hcl and nothing else. Just letting it work on its own in a old coffee pot sitting on it's warmer plate after I remove the top part of the coffee maker leaving just the hot plate!
After three attempts at filtering and busting through the filter and the gold falling back into the solution, I have came to the conclusion that my error is trying to filter gold from hot hcl causing it to disolve the filter enough to break through. So guess I would be correct in the assumption of letting the solution cool befor filtering!
Just wanted to confirm this was the reason for the filter failure and not the filter it's self?
I searched the forum for filter types and uses and I couldn't find much. Thank you in advance!!!
How large is this test batch? Do you have some pictures? You could decant the AP and then follow with a few fresh HCl rinses in the same container. I believe I once read that you can ensure all of the copper is driven of by testing with a drop of ammonia.
Too large for a first time I think, the weight at start is unknown. I put fingers in a coffee pot a little over halfway full with fingers laying as flat as possible, I now have about 6g of gold in a container but there is a lo it bit of green chips from the fingers mixed in. The next batch on about the same amount. All the copper had been disolved I believe the fingers are all green no metal.
As soon as I figure this post pic thing out I'll get some up.

Barren Realms 007 said:
myfalconry76 said:
And I did tare t the paper on the scale befor adding the gold

Looks like you need to do another wash in warm HCL 15% solution.
Thanx for the advice, I had actually had planned to do that. Not the 15% solution part, I was just going to use 1part hcl 1.5 parts distilled water and let is sit for about 4 or 5 days with the glass lid at room temperature. And repeat this till it no longer runs green. But I'm going to wait till the jar it's in is full.
I don't know if this is what anyone else dose, but I don't see how it can hurt. May be a little longer wait but, it's better than rushing it.

I do have about 10x more foils in a jar with HCl for the last 2 months. I changed that HCl about 4 times, like every 2 weeks or so. It always get green so it is hard to say when foils are clean - I mean I do not do it to clean foils, rather that I do not have time to refine them. I will do them later when I will have more so for now I just let them sit in jar and wait.

Latest posts

Back