red ap

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scranney said:
Do you think that it is a pale purple because of the acid I used the stuff from bunnings. Or from the solder?
it sounds like I have exactly the same colour stanus chloride, pale purple. But the main thing is as long as it works.
My HCl is also Bondall from Bunnings. I expect there was just one time contamination in my container that made it pale purple.
You can see a picture of it here: http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=20099&p=209736#p209736

But I consistently make crystal clear stannous chloride now, and I'm still using the same bottle of HCl, and still using the same bar of lead free solder, which is basically just tin. If you're using 63/37 solder or similar, does it contain a flux core? That could well be responsible. But it will still work, as you have proved.

mine looks exactly like your first one. I noticed you did yours in an old hot sause bottle I did mine in an old spice bottle. I wonder if I make a second batch if it will be clear.

have you melted any of your gold yet? I have been looking at the washing steps and some say to boil it for 30mins in water then in HCl. I know this is to get your gold pure. But would it still wash ok without heating? I am worried about breaking my glass and loosing my gold. As I would perfer slighty dirty gold as none at all.

scranney said:
mine looks exactly like your first one. I noticed you did yours in an old hot sause bottle I did mine in an old spice bottle. I wonder if I make a second batch if it will be clear.

have you melted any of your gold yet? I have been looking at the washing steps and some say to boil it for 30mins in water then in HCl. I know this is to get your gold pure. But would it still wash ok without heating? I am worried about breaking my glass and loosing my gold. As I would perfer slighty dirty gold as none at all.

It needs to be washed with hot boiling water with good glassware. If you have good glassware you have very little to worry about it breaking.

Yeah I was thinking of an old coffee glass jug I might have a look at some op shops for one with a hotplate too.

scranney said:
Yeah I was thinking of an old coffee glass jug I might have a look at some op shops for one with a hotplate too.
Good plan. Your local Salvo's is perfect for the $5 coffee maker.
These things are typically limited to about 95-110°C - so as long as you don't put a cold jar on a hot plate (been there, done that, cracked it, learned), they're quite useful for any glass receptacle. I keep an old Breville (everything north of the hotplate is removed) outside for heating all sorts of solutions.

Nice find at the sunday market. Wouldnt budge past $10 though.
when you wash, do you just warm on the hot plate as I dont think it will get hot enough to boil.

Attachments

• 20150503_153710.jpg
    20150503_153710.jpg
    62.1 KB
I have always used a coffee maker with the upper parts removed. Great for heating. Useless for boiling.

Mine only heats most loads to about 85°C. For boiling, in proper beakers, I bought a $15 potable camping stove from Bunnings, and I also use the bottom cut from of a large tin as a heat diffuser. For I hold a view that one should not apply direct flame when heating glassware, whether borosilicate or jam jar.

The majority of coffee pots are borosilicate. They have a higher resistance to thermal shock, but treat them kindly and they will do the same.

You've effectively got two parts which can be used independently; the heating pad and the coffee pot. You can use the pot for boiling with a more powerful heat source, like a gas stove. And you can also use the hotplate for heating most anything other than its matching pot.

But unless it's borosilicate, never put a cold or wet glass jar onto an already hot hotplate. I've lost a jar or two that way. I believe I am fortunate in that that they've only ever cracked and never ruptured.

Yeah I think I remember from science we put wire mesh on top of the tripods then sat beakers on top when using them to boil things with the bunsen burner. so it wasnt on direct flame.
I think I will have to hold off on the refining until I am more confident for this step as there seems to be quite a few areas to make mistakes in.
good thing you managed to keep your gold.

Latest posts

Back