REDNECK ORE SAMPLING

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Step 2 completed ! Had a REDNECK idea last night... Hey !, instead of building a fire in the pit to roast overnight, why not just use hot coals left over in the fireplace stove that's coming off a three day continuous run. So stuck them in there overnight as the last of coals burned down.. Cool this morning. Changed to a more red color, still all non-magnetic. Next batch of questions. 1 - got some ash in there, will that screw up anything.. maybe a half teaspoon. 2 - what's my next step (HCL bath?). Safety, felt ok bringing inside for a couple reason. 1 - only 32 grams of ore, 2 - fireplace stove seals like a glove with good draft through "tall" chimney pipe. (Chimney folks were actually a bit worried about over-drafting & heating due to length, but agreed it wasn't too far out of spec)...anyway, good draft up and out... Concerned that I might not have gotten the roast hot enough, how to tell ?
Images below... What say thee as to weekend next steps ?

Attachments

• FIREPLACE ROAST2.jpg
    FIREPLACE ROAST2.jpg
    2.1 MB
  • ROASTED ORE.jpg
    ROASTED ORE.jpg
    3.2 MB
  • ROASTED ORE2.jpg
    ROASTED ORE2.jpg
    3.1 MB
  • FIREPLACE ROAST.jpg
    FIREPLACE ROAST.jpg
    1.2 MB
  • ROASTED3.jpg
    ROASTED3.jpg
    3.3 MB
  • ROASTED4.jpg
    ROASTED4.jpg
    1.5 MB
  • ROASTED5.jpg
    ROASTED5.jpg
    1.3 MB
  • ROASTED6.jpg
    ROASTED6.jpg
    1.4 MB
Step 2 completed ! Had a REDNECK idea last night... Hey !, instead of building a fire in the pit to roast overnight, why not just use hot coals left over in the fireplace stove that's coming off a three day continuous run. So stuck them in there overnight as the last of coals burned down.. Cool this morning. Changed to a more red color, still all non-magnetic. Next batch of questions. 1 - got some ash in there, will that screw up anything.. maybe a half teaspoon. 2 - what's my next step (HCL bath?). Safety, felt ok bringing inside for a couple reason. 1 - only 32 grams of ore, 2 - fireplace stove seals like a glove with good draft through "tall" chimney pipe. (Chimney folks were actually a bit worried about over-drafting & heating due to length, but agreed it wasn't too far out of spec)...anyway, good draft up and out... Concerned that I might not have gotten the roast hot enough, how to tell ?
i believe you have made a very similar discovery to one i also recently made. i believe the ore will be high in palladium, as well as a mixture of other metals both precious and base. i believe i have discovered that palladium is a beautiful peanut butter orange color and I've found it along with a silvery white metal which I'm still trying to determine if it is platinum, silver, or other both etc i haven't had the funds to get the assay so I've been doing some backyard chemistry myself

IMG_3623.JPGIMG_3622.JPGIMG_3620.JPGIMG_3617.JPGIMG_3616.JPGIMG_3615.JPG

I found these two right next to each other it looks like they were attached at some point. i like to experiment with different lighting as its very difficult to get across the true beauties they areIMG_3656.JPGIMG_3659.JPGIMG_3662.JPGIMG_3664.JPGIMG_3665.JPG

Last edited:
Never have roasted in an indoor fireplace. The main reason is Sulfur stinks to the high heavens, and is converted to SO2, so will eat up your stove pipe faster then creosote will. Roasting indoors is not good for any Sulphide mineral. Never know what your gonna get. That is why labs have engineered fume hoods. Second, the purpose of roasting, is to expose the concentrates to Oxygen, and cook off the Sulfur, Arsenic, or whatever pyrite you may have. This is done with the doors open, helps a bunch. As stated in other post, you have to drive off the Sulphide, at a temperature where it reacts. You can either do it with an infrared thermometer, or by the temperature color chart for metal, plus Oxygen. Most industrial scale mills, have the temperature vs. time, down to a science. I like Rednecks, but even a Redneck needs professional help. Professional means you got to pay. Send it to a lab. At this point in time, it would be cheaper for me to pay for the ICP test, then to keep up this thread.

i believe you have made a very similar discovery to one i also recently made. i believe the ore will be high in palladium, as well as a mixture of other metals both precious and base. i believe i have discovered that palladium is a beautiful peanut butter orange color and I've found it along with a silvery white metal which I'm still trying to determine if it is platinum, silver, or other both etc i haven't had the funds to get the assay so I've been doing some backyard chemistry myself

View attachment 54793View attachment 54792View attachment 54790View attachment 54789View attachment 54788View attachment 54787

I found these two right next to each other it looks like they were attached at some point. i like to experiment with different lighting as its very difficult to get across the true beauties they areView attachment 54794View attachment 54795View attachment 54796View attachment 54798View attachment 54799
Until you have a test confirming this, it is only rocks.

Dissolved Pd is a deep maroon to brown in solution.
Pt is reddish orange in solution.

Never have roasted in an indoor fireplace. The main reason is Sulfur stinks to the high heavens, and is converted to SO2, so will eat up your stove pipe faster then creosote will. Roasting indoors is not good for any Sulphide mineral. Never know what your gonna get. That is why labs have engineered fume hoods. Second, the purpose of roasting, is to expose the concentrates to Oxygen, and cook off the Sulfur, Arsenic, or whatever pyrite you may have. This is done with the doors open, helps a bunch. As stated in other post, you have to drive off the Sulphide, at a temperature where it reacts. You can either do it with an infrared thermometer, or by the temperature color chart for metal, plus Oxygen. Most industrial scale mills, have the temperature vs. time, down to a science. I like Rednecks, but even a Redneck needs professional help. Professional means you got to pay. Send it to a lab. At this point in time, it would be cheaper for me to pay for the ICP test, then to keep up this thread.
Fair enough, and good call out on the SO2 vs. pipe... won't do it again. Back to fire pit only.

Ok, it's the weekend, so lets push forward with the sample. Given no direct answer to what next I'll make the executive decision to give this red ore a HCL (home depot, muriatic) bath. It was 17 deg this morning and high is expected to 52, so it will be a bit of a polar plunge for the lil' rocks.... JUMP IN baby. Questions: 1 - How's it look, does the color give any indication of potential metals or will the AR color be the better indicator.? How long should I leave it in there given the cold weather (HCL work in 30-50 deg F.) ? ....

Attachments

• HCL bath.jpg
    HCL bath.jpg
    1.2 MB
  • HCL bath2.jpg
    HCL bath2.jpg
    2.2 MB
Ok, it's the weekend, so lets push forward with the sample. Given no direct answer to what next I'll make the executive decision to give this red ore a HCL (home depot, muriatic) bath. It was 17 deg this morning and high is expected to 52, so it will be a bit of a polar plunge for the lil' rocks.... JUMP IN baby. Questions: 1 - How's it look, does the color give any indication of potential metals or will the AR color be the better indicator.? How long should I leave it in there given the cold weather (HCL work in 30-50 deg F.) ? ....
One of the reasons we ask people to get an assay is to find out if there is Arsenic, Cadmium or Mercury.
So we DO NOT recommend to put ore into acids.

Have you read the forums for ores testing and sampling.
The Safety section or dealing with waste?
At least you should have read C.M. Hokes book.

Yup HCL will work great. Those are the same conditions where I'm running similar experiments the cold may even be helping things along the way but that's yet to be confirmed. I'm finding that the microfine material will go into solution with cold concentrated hydrochloric acid soaks. I did about 3 to my complex ore samples. some crushed some whole and one roasted. Did you find ammonium chloride along your search for ingredients?

These are the colors ive been getting along the way

This has the initial first soak waiting to be processedIMG_3768.JPG

This one has had one poor off and refill IMG_3769.JPG

This one has had 2 IMG_3770.JPG

These both have had 3IMG_3771.JPGIMG_3772.JPG

a bit like a beautiful rainbowIMG_3773.JPG

Yup HCL will work great. Those are the same conditions where I'm running similar experiments the cold may even be helping things along the way but that's yet to be confirmed. I'm finding that the microfine material will go into solution with cold concentrated hydrochloric acid soaks. I did about 3 to my complex ore samples. some crushed some whole and one roasted. Did you find ammonium chloride along your search for ingredients?

These are the colors ive been getting along the way

This has the initial first soak waiting to be processedView attachment 54810

This one has had one poor off and refill View attachment 54811

This one has had 2 View attachment 54812

These both have had 3View attachment 54813View attachment 54814

a bit like a beautiful rainbowView attachment 54815
As I have said before, do not mix unknown minerals and Acid if you do not have a death wish, it may come through.

And what I see here, is a waste of time and money, Iron salts is the most likely candidate.
Assay is the first step, if it is out of reach, study testing of minerals and ores.
There are many threads here and plenty of books.
If you by luck have survived dunking the ore in acid the least one can do is Stannous testing.

But I'm puzzled, you have no funds to get or do an assay,
but plenty money to leach the Iron out of the crushed rocks, not one time but many times.
Not only chemicals but the labor to crush it and the time to wait for the reactions.

Have you calculated the cost for this?

As I have said before, do not mix unknown minerals and Acid if you do not have a death wish, it may come through.

And what I see here, is a waste of time and money, Iron salts is the most likely candidate.
Assay is the first step, if it is out of reach, study testing of minerals and ores.
There are many threads here and plenty of books.
If you by luck have survived dunking the ore in acid the least one can do is Stannous testing.

But I'm puzzled, you have no funds to get or do an assay,
but plenty money to leach the Iron out of the crushed rocks, not one time but many times.
Not only chemicals but the labor to crush it and the time to wait for the reactions.

Have you calculated the cost for this?
So far a gallon of hydrochloric acid and and 2.5 lbs. ammonium chloride cost less than $25 I cant even get silver assayed without what a minimum of 50? Id love for absolutely nothing more than to have all of my ore assayed but I cant afford an assay so I cant sell it and I cant sell it cause I cant afford the assay so I'm kinda a little stuck here I'm stuck more than the ore is stuck since most of its already been dug up for us!!

Last edited:
So far a gallon of hydrochloric acid and and 2.5 lbs. ammonium chloride cost less than $25 I cant even get silver assayed without what a minimum of 50? Id love for absolutely nothing more than to have all of my ore assayed but I cant afford an assay so I cant sell it and I cant sell it cause I cant afford the assay so I'm kinda a little stuck here I'm stuck more than the ore is stuck since most of its already been dug up for us!!
Then do as I said.
Read and study how to test your ores yourself.
So far you have not shown anything that indicates you have values there.

Then do as I said.
Read and study how to test your ores yourself.
So far you have not shown anything that indicates you have values there.
i don't have hundreds for smelting capabilities either that's why I'm trying to figure it out with the inexpensive chemicals i have been able to acquire

Is this the blind leading the blind?
What kind of nonsense have we seen lately on the forum?
From mining scams to eye-in-the-sky foolish or ill-informed prospectors, or those trying to scam someone into buying their rock, they cannot afford to have properly assayed.

No knowledge of the chemical reactions, and no clue of the chemical makeup of random rocks and minerals they are chemically treating with dangerous acids making deadly fumes and toxic hazardous waste spreading it in their environment and those around them without any understanding of the dangers they are putting others in.

I have no interest in these worthless rocks with pretty pictures of unknown salts or toxic solutions or trying to help or teach someone who is not smart enough to learn or willing to work to educate themselves or help them create more toxic waste or assist them in creating hazardous chemical reactions with no knowledge of what to do with the deadly mess, or any knowledge of what they are doing, or buy rock from these fools or scam artist trying to profit from others unjustly.

Buying rock without an assay you're a fool, buying a mine even with an assay you still a fool unless you have had it tested properly, mixing acids with rocks is just foolish even with some understanding of the chemistry or possible reactions involved, without a good understanding of what you have and what you're doing and what reactions and dangers and how to minimize them it is well not only being foolish but being stupid, no I do not want to buy worthless rock you magically believe to have gold platinum palladium or some other metals you know little to nothing about.

Why cast your pearls into the pigpen?
Educate yourself to gain an understanding,
Take good advice have your ore properly tested and expect your customer to also do his own assay or testing.
Stop playing with dangerous chemistry you know nothing about creating all sorts of dangers for yourself and those near your area. educate yourself.

A man who tries to deceive others for profit is just a fool himself, for he will always remain poor from being deceived himself, fooling himself in his efforts to deceive others, not only will he remain poor but also a fool which will bring more curses upon himself and his home...

A man who has beliefs and dreams is great, but with a wish on one hand and nothing on the other hand besides a brown stain gets you nowhere, You should educate yourself with good judgment and verify you are on the right path or track before you start randomly or blindly running along the high cliffs of the deep dark canyons, it might be a good idea to get some idea of how to use a parachute before tying one to your back and jumping out of an airplane.

A poor man who educates himself and uses good judgment will prosper, and with prosperity comes more prosperity and more blessings.

Is this the blind leading the blind?
What kind of nonsense have we seen lately on the forum?
From mining scams to eye-in-the-sky foolish or ill-informed prospectors, or those trying to scam someone into buying their rock, they cannot afford to have properly assayed.

No knowledge of the chemical reactions, and no clue of the chemical makeup of random rocks and minerals they are chemically treating with dangerous acids making deadly fumes and toxic hazardous waste spreading it in their environment and those around them without any understanding of the dangers they are putting others in.

I have no interest in these worthless rocks with pretty pictures of unknown salts or toxic solutions or trying to help or teach someone who is not smart enough to learn or willing to work to educate themselves or help them create more toxic waste or assist them in creating hazardous chemical reactions with no knowledge of what to do with the deadly mess, or any knowledge of what they are doing, or buy rock from these fools or scam artist trying to profit from others unjustly.

Buying rock without an assay you're a fool, buying a mine even with an assay you still a fool unless you have had it tested properly, mixing acids with rocks is just foolish even with some understanding of the chemistry or possible reactions involved, without a good understanding of what you have and what you're doing and what reactions and dangers and how to minimize them it is well not only being foolish but being stupid, no I do not want to buy worthless rock you magically believe to have gold platinum palladium or some other metals you know little to nothing about.

Why cast your pearls into the pigpen?
Educate yourself to gain an understanding,
Take good advice have your ore properly tested and expect your customer to also do his own assay or testing.
Stop playing with dangerous chemistry you know nothing about creating all sorts of dangers for yourself and those near your area. educate yourself.

A man who tries to deceive others for profit is just a fool himself, for he will always remain poor from being deceived himself, fooling himself in his efforts to deceive others, not only will he remain poor but also a fool which will bring more curses upon himself and his home...

A man who has beliefs and dreams is great, but with a wish on one hand and nothing on the other hand besides a brown stain gets you nowhere, You should educate yourself with good judgment and verify you are on the right path or track before you start randomly or blindly running along the high cliffs of the deep dark canyons, it might be a good idea to get some idea of how to use a parachute before tying one to your back and jumping out of an airplane.

A poor man who educates himself and uses good judgment will prosper, and with prosperity comes more prosperity and more blessings.
I came here to be educated and hopefully connected to resources not scolded and insulted. So anytime you'd like to do that it would incredibly appreciated! Have a wonderful everything!

I came here to be educated and hopefully connected to resources not scolded and insulted. So anytime you'd like to do that it would incredibly appreciated! Have a wonderful everything!
We have tried to get you to study and you have just continued your journey as if nothing has been said.
If you are willing to read and study you will succeed, but likely not from this ore.
If you are not willing to study, we really don’t have much for you.

We have tried to get you to study and you have just continued your journey as if nothing has been said.
If you are willing to read and study you will succeed, but likely not from this ore.
If you are not willing to study, we really don’t have much for you.
I've been studying everyday for 2 years before I touched a single chemical. I've done a few simple tests with a very small sampling. Thanks anyway

Other than study and assay what advice has been given?
I asked you to study assaying and testing of ores.
This could have gotten you to a position where you actually can say what your rocks contain.

People blinded of a absolute belief that they have found the richest ore in the world come to this forum quite often.
So we see these situations over and over again.

You need that assay in one form or other to know if you have something at all.
The ore/Rocks do not go anywhere, so use your resources and save or start a second job or what not until you have either learned to test properly yourself or can buy the services of others.
An ordinary fire assay should not be too costly.
A NiS assay is expensive though, but are only needed for the Platinum group metals.

Other than study and assay what advice has been given?
Even if Butchers post seem harsh, it is to the point and I think it is written in hope that you shape up
and come out of this with your health and life intact.

Edit to add:
I sometimes have said this to members:

I can tell you what you need to hear, but not necessary what you want to hear.
I don't think it is originally mine ;)

Latest posts

Back