Reduction of gold from a mixed solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The metal that I melted and said painting would wait until tomorrow... it settles and I have to wash the powder several times because again after washing in HCl, then HNO3 and then in AR, a thin layer of light powder remained, and you would say metal. the solution didn't clear completely, so I didn't want to touch it. this is what the second metal powder looks like after washing in HCl and HNO3. maybe I'll dissolve this in AR and maybe I'll try to melt it. The photo makes it redder than it is, although it appears quite orange-red.
This is not metal, this is some kind of salt.
If you had added a copper piece when it still was dissolved you would cement it out.

I will melt and insert a piece of copper. What pH must be when introducing copper?
No point in melting a salt and you do not introduce copper into melted salt!

The pH has to be acidic like lower than 4 would be preferred.

Filter it well and hang a piece of copper in the solution.
If there is anything precious it will cement out.
Gold or Silver will create a powder that drop off, PGMs will attach itself to the Copper as a white/grey or mirror layer.
For proper cementing PGMs you need to have very good stirring
or bubbling air through it with for instance an aquarium air pump.
Make sure the Copper are in the bubbles.

No point in melting a salt and you do not introduce copper into melted salt!

The pH has to be acidic like lower than 4 would be preferred.

Filter it well and hang a piece of copper in the solution.
If there is anything precious it will cement out.
Gold or Silver will create a powder that drop off, PGMs will attach itself to the Copper as a white/grey or mirror layer.
For proper cementing PGMs you need to have very good stirring
or bubbling air through it with for instance an aquarium air pump.
Make sure the Copper are in the bubbles.
The reaction won't work if I put the copper in the molten salt?

The reaction won't work if I put the copper in the molten salt?
Explain what you mean with molten salt?
In the world of chemistry and physics, melting means heating til it is liquid.

If you mean dissolve, that is to add a liquid until it is dissolved.

I will melt and insert a piece of copper. What pH must be when introducing copper?
I just spent a considerable amount of time reading this entire thread and have come to the conclusion that after all of the time yggdrasil has spent spoon feeding you information specific to your refining, for you to ask a question about cementing, after all you have been told, just made me quite upset.

You have repeatedly demonstrated your inability to follow simple instructions and reply with results from your testing. This thread is going nowhere and you are not demonstrating any ability to learn from what you have been told.

If you notice, most other members who reply to threads have given up, and I am amazed that yggdrasil has not given up. I suggest you start to study from some of the many sources you have been asked to study from, because if you don't, I fear you will not have anyone replying to your questions.

Explain what you mean with molten salt?
In the world of chemistry and physics, melting means heating til it is liquid.

If you mean dissolve, that is to add a liquid until it is dissolved.

I already mentioned that the translator confuses these two words. I corrected that all the time during the conversation. Instead of the word melt, it should be translated soluble

I already mentioned that the translator confuses these two words. I corrected that all the time during the conversation. Instead of the word melt, it should be translated soluble
Dissolve the Salt in HCl and put in the Copper.

Yggdrasil is a excellent moderator Lola and he has way more patience than me and everyone else.
If you can't take the time to read and learn on your own this is not the hobby for you.
You should put all of your chemicals away for now and put in some effort of your own.
What you are doing is very unfair and nothing short of talking advantage of Yggdrasil's kindness.

Yggdrasil is a excellent moderator Lola and he has way more patience than me and everyone else.
If you can't take the time to read and learn on your own this is not the hobby for you.
You should put all of your chemicals away for now and put in some effort of your own.
What you are doing is very unfair and nothing short of talking advantage of Yggdrasil's kindness.
I am grateful to him, and I will be even more grateful when I manage to get a clean ball

And I'm a little confused, I've heard many times that the precipitate obtained with a reductant such as FeSO4 or SMB is metal powder, and now I'm hearing again that it's metal salts.

I am grateful to him, and I will be even more grateful when I manage to get a clean ball
That would be a thing to celebrate.
But we have not even managed to find out if you have values in your liquid.
For that, the only simple way is to cement on Copper.
Then you will, if there is values have a powder that can be melted and tested with a XRF or similar.

And I'm a little confused, I've heard many times that the precipitate obtained with a reductant such as FeSO4 or SMB is metal powder, and now I'm hearing again that it's metal salts.
Ferrous and SMB will drop a metal sponge or powder. You keep introducing the salts. Maybe it's your translation software but you have to put in some effort, which I do not see!

AR is not what was suggested Hydrochloric Acid is what you were told. Why am I even answering this?

Keep it up and you may never see a clean ball!!!!!!
Obviously I got it wrong. I have a powder that I can only dissolve in AR to turn it into a solution and then add copper to use it to precipitate gold and silver if there is any.

It would be like a repeated reduction because I'm not sure if it's just gold powder that doesn't dissolve differently than in AR

If it is Gold powder, put some in a melt dish and heat it to where it coagulates into your Gold ball.
Thanks for the effort to answer. I did put it in AR last night though after talking to Yggdrasil. One part soluble, one part didn't. I put it on to filter. One part does not soluble in AR, what can it be if not rhodium? I read that palladium powder soluble poorly in AR, but even when cleaning with nitrogen before AR did not soluble. I reduced that powder long ago from a chlorine solution using FeSO4 or CaCO4. Today I'm going to put copper in the melted part to pull the gold that should be inside.
Last night I put copper in another solution and exposed it to temperature. Got a brown powder, put it to filter overnight. I'll take a picture later. The powder should be washed several times and then washed in hydrochloric acid? Then it can be washed again and melted?

Back