refining gold and silver in a 2 part process

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I understand the process to refine gold (Nitric/Hydrochloric method) but was wondering if I could use this same solution after the gold is recovered to recover the silver also by adding SPC, etc to allow it to precipitate out.

I do not know what SPC is but if you are using AR and have put silver into solution most of it will self precipitate upon cooling. To get the remainder of the silver out of solution dilute with water with 3 times its volume and let settle then filter or decant. If this is not done before you precipitate your gold you will have impure gold.

It is commonly accepted that you can't have silver and gold in solution together in acid. The sole exception is the trace amounts of silver that behave as gold, which has yet to be explained. (The subject is discussed in Rose's The Metallurgy of Gold).

When you add HCl to nitric acid to form AR, silver is automatically precipitated as silver chloride. The traces that don't can be precipitated by simply diluting the solution, which has been discussed at great length by our very own GSP. It is an effective way to eliminate the traces of silver, which are then separated from the gold chloride solution upon filtration.

Harold

Dano,

I have seen your subsequent posts but in case I am missing a new acronym I am still curious as to what SPC is.

Latest posts

Back