Removing silicon die ceramic ic

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slochteren

I process a lot of ceramic ic's/processors lately, AR works fine but +/- 10% of the silicon die's are still stuck to the ceramic and leaving somme gold.
Is there a way to remove these?

Attachments

• IMG_20240705_095006.jpg
    IMG_20240705_095006.jpg
    815 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240705_095113.jpg
    IMG_20240705_095113.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
I process a lot of ceramic ic's/processors lately, AR works fine but +/- 10% of the silicon die's are still stuck to the ceramic and leaving somme gold.

I have a handful of these as well, I'm not sure if they're worthy of reprocessing just for that little amount. You could either leave them in very hot AR for longer or I just throw them in the next batch of ceramics.

I usually heat the chip to release the cap. Once the cap is removed I continue with heating in the chip until that die can be picked right off with pliers or tweezers.
Thats how I remove them.

In a commercial refinery, one which see's a lot of these processors sent in as a separate scrap type, would granulate this material before processing them in aqua regia. The theory being the smaller pieces allow better penetration of the acids and digest more of the values.

Also note that the refiners processing this material in aqua regia also save the residues because they can never be totally stripped of all of their values in AR. (If properly granulated to small enough pieces you will get most of the gold but some remains.) The residues are melted in a furnace with copper and cryolite which will dissolve the ceramic. It is a slow process requiring a long heat to melt the ceramics. And it eats up crucibles as well.

In a commercial refinery, one which see's a lot of these processors sent in as a separate scrap type, would granulate this material before processing them in aqua regia. The theory being the smaller pieces allow better penetration of the acids and digest more of the values.

Also note that the refiners processing this material in aqua regia also save the residues because they can never be totally stripped of all of their values in AR. (If properly granulated to small enough pieces you will get most of the gold but some remains.) The residues are melted in a furnace with copper and cryolite which will dissolve the ceramic. It is a slow process requiring a long heat to melt the ceramics. And it eats up crucibles as well.
From the legs to the die inside the ceramic is that also gold plated? That would be a reason to granulated I guess...

From the legs to the die inside the ceramic is that also gold plated? That would be a reason to granulated I guess...
If you think for one minute a commercial refiner has the chip by chip specifics about these circuits that a lot of members here have you are mistaken. Commercial refiners will not pick through the chips they simply toss tbe lot in the granulator.

I have no idea how commercial refiners do things, they will have their reasons how to process things.

But I was wondering in general how the connection runs from the legs thru the ceramic to the silicon die, I broke some but cannot see any connection wire... The normal dip ceramics are made of 2 parts "glued" together and breaking the parts you can see the connection. But for the ons that look as 1 piece I don't know.

Latest posts

Back