right way to process my filter papers

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank-20011

hello everyone,

these filter papers are filled with some very dirty stuff from AP processes (many pieces of varnish are present there and maybe some electrical parts too) but also cleaner gold from fingers only and copper contacts/relais with thicker gold plaiting.

I think there are some base metals present and metastannic too (beside organic stuff) so i decide to incinerate these papers at first.
after the incineration the ash looks black still (maybe i should repeat it? i'am not shure if the black results from unburned c, at the end of incineration it is only 4 tablespooful and i let glow these stuff in a tincan until these can start to decompose (~1hr).

-the next step is the dissolving of tin and metastannic in HCl.
shoul i heat up the HCl or is it ok to soak it (20percent) over night.

-after that i will wash with hot water, some times (pH 7)

-after the water washings i would dissolve mainly Cu in HNO3

-after that i would repeat hot water washings

-after these washings i think i could process the remaining concentrate in AR together with my ceramic cpu and ceramic ic

do you agree with my proposed kind to operate?

thanks a lot and best regards, frank!

frank-20011 said:
hello everyone,

these filter papers are filled with some very dirty stuff from AP processes (many pieces of varnish are present there and maybe some electrical parts too) but also cleaner gold from fingers only and copper contacts/relais with thicker gold plaiting.

I think there are some base metals present and metastannic too (beside organic stuff) so i decide to incinerate these papers at first.
after the incineration the ash looks black still (maybe i should repeat it? i'am not shure if the black results from unburned c, at the end of incineration it is only 4 tablespooful and i let glow these stuff in a tincan until these can start to decompose (~1hr).

-the next step is the dissolving of tin and metastannic in HCl.
shoul i heat up the HCl or is it ok to soak it (20percent) over night.

-after that i will wash with hot water, some times (pH 7)

-after the water washings i would dissolve mainly Cu in HNO3

-after that i would repeat hot water washings

-after these washings i think i could process the remaining concentrate in AR together with my ceramic cpu and ceramic ic

do you agree with my proposed kind to operate?

thanks a lot and best regards, frank!

From the sound of the color of the ash you still need to work on it. The ash should be grey to white in color when you are finished.

If you are going to mix it with the ceramic CPU's and IC chips you are processing the previous washes are not necessary because you are just throwing it back into the same type of contaminated material.

after these washings i think i could process the remaining concentrate in AR together with my ceramic cpu and ceramic ic
Yes, but I wouldn't think it advisable to mix these different materials before separating them from their respective junk.
Fine gold wires can be paned from chip ash easily, with a bit of care. Brown gold powder, while it also settles well, washes away more easily. And foils, with their enormous surface area to volume, can "snow dome" for hours.

Once they've all been isolated, combine them in AR to your heart's content.

My opinion is to do your recovery from the filters separately as combining different materials can create a big mess, it's better to have a small mess to worry about.
Once all your values are dissolved then combine after filtering and precipitate.

Hello,

with ceramic ic's i mean only stuff like this:

http://www.goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=32230&mode=view

without legs. they are open and without the top where are no pm present and as you can see there is only gold present in the solder, the other kind of ceramics i would process with the ic's in the link above are ceramic cpu (coarsely hacked) like the gold old pentium pro.

I would process them directly in AR, with the ash from my papers and these ash i would pretreat as discribed to get out mainly the tin/metastannic but other base metals too because more bm in the resulting AR-sollution stand for more problems but if you mean it isn't needless to solve bm from the ash i will follow that way.

in the material i am calling "ceramic cpu" there isn't any tin/metastannic present in contrast to my ashed filter-papers....in the AR there is enough HCl present to hold the tin solved in but there are the maxim as less base metals as possible!

best regards, frank!

Hello,

i've heated the ash again, widespread on a screwcap from a marmeladeglass, unil it glows but no smoke fumes away and the grey-black color doesn't change.

after that i let react a scopful of it with:

-HNO3 (38perc.) very very weak reaction, weak blue color after a few minutes...faster reaction after heated up but really not as fast as copper pellets with HNO3 for example, after the heating i thought the black, heavy dust is copperIIoxide but cu(2)o should react with acids promtly
-HCl (20perc.) color of sollution changes fast to yellow...than to a stronger yellow, i think there are iron from the tin can and the screwcap as oxide present

so i will repeat my question: should i pretreat these "ash" or is it o.k. to go straight to AR?

thanks and regards!

You can give the ash a HCl hot soak and then onto AR, the HCl will remove many troublesome elements.

hello,

yes....like tin!
i let it stand over night (~4 tablespoonful in ~50ml acid) in 20pec. HCl and tomorrow a nice dark green sollution was the result and i wasn't able to smell any gaseous HCl so i repeat the process over today, now, after 10hrs the remaining sollutin has almost the same color but a strong HCl smell so i affiliate 2 carefull (very small particles) water washings, let settle it every time at least 1 hr.

normally i would proceed wit HNO3 but if you mean with HCl the ugliest base metals are gone so it should be fine now.

do you think it is ok to process it together with my ceramic CPU's/ceramic ic's, not much, 3 hands of all.
are there any "attention-point's" which i have to get in mind?
the CPU are older ones with no soft solder.

thanks and regards!

Frank,
Since you are washing your ash with HCl, do not switch to HNO3 to dissolve any other base metals, unless you incinerate in between these acids. If you do, you will create weak AR and dissolve some gold.

Once you have finished washing your ash with HCl, you can rinse it and proceed to AR to dissolve the gold from the remaining solids. BUT: Your ash must not contain any black carbon, it must be all burned to a light grey/white. Carbon will suck up some dissolved gold - much like a drinking water filter removes chlorine.

hello,

and thanks to you...i know about carbons ability to bind gold from a sollution and i have these problem in my "leggs of IC-Help Needed" thread.

I spread the ash out only 2-3mm thick and glow it strongly from below and up but there are no signs of any ignition and the prior red glowing material going black after cooling down so i think there coudn't bee any carbon present!

Thanks and regards!

Frank,
That's possibly enough for switching acids, but sounds like it's not enough for carbon removal.
Generally speaking, black = carbon.

Do read Harold's post about Incineration. You'll find it in the Library.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=22375

Hi,

i have read Harolds thread sometimes, correct incinneration is unalterable!

back to these strange kind of filter ash: as i've described i've annealed rigorous and after the HCl leach the ash looks not black but rather brown now.

brown like copper dust but it didn't reacts with HNO3 but after these changing of color i can be shure there isn't any carbon.

it is very interesting to me where these red color come from but about that i can only guess.

thanks a lot...some day i will proceed with these "ash".

regards, frank!

frank-20011 said:
Hi,

i have read Harolds thread sometimes, correct incinneration is unalterable!

back to these strange kind of filter ash: as i've described i've annealed rigorous and after the HCl leach the ash looks not black but rather brown now.

brown like copper dust but it didn't reacts with HNO3 but after these changing of color i can be shure there isn't any carbon.

it is very interesting to me where these red color come from but about that i can only guess.

thanks a lot...some day i will proceed with these "ash".

regards, frank!

I have had some filter papers end up looking red after incineration... a LONG incineration. After I leeched them for base metals, then neutralized, then incinerated again, they were white. So I attributed it to base metal contamination. Which? I can't say definitively, as I don't recall the hue of my base metal leech solution. (not that it would indicate with certainty anyways, but, a hint maybe {at best})

Topher_osAUrus said:
I have had some filter papers end up looking red after incineration... a LONG incineration. After I leeched them for base metals, then neutralized, then incinerated again, they were white. So I attributed it to base metal contamination. Which? I can't say definitively, as I don't recall the hue of my base metal leech solution. (not that it would indicate with certainty anyways, but, a hint maybe {at best})

What kinds of material had you been processing? Seems like I've seen a red lead oxide before, but I dont remember for sure. Try Google images for 'red metal oxides' and see if any look like the same color.

The filters in question, which yielded red ash were from a few different things

Fingers
Pins
And goldfilled

All of which from when i was much more dumb-er-err. And only attending school-of-youtube. So, there could have been lead, tin, any and every element under the sun.. And probably was.

I was thinking it was either iron. From the pins i did not separate magnetically (as, again, i was schooled at youtu e at the time, which is *the-worst*[ever]) or all the solder that i (stupidly) didn't remove properly.

But, its all a guessing game now.

I can say for sure though, that, i keep my filter papers separated to an extent (i dont filter nearly as much as i used to...[the more you know!])
One for gold
One for pgm's

I actually need to burn them down again and make some room, but, not enough time in the day....and its been raining for a month straight pretty much, with only a couple days in between the storms.. O well.... One of these days..

Latest posts

Back