Rookie in need of help plz

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arekkusu28 said:
So, what do I do with what I have right now, solution wise? Aurachloric acid? Sulfamic acid? Then what? SMB?

I would consider what you had was an attempt at a recovery process (one normally not recommended).
With that much base metal involved, I personally would not consider using a refining process to recover the gold from solution, i.e. de-noxing and using a reducing agent like FeSO4 or SMB...

I would use a replacement reaction --if I had lots of free nitric I would consider dissolving more material to use up most of the free nitric acid, this is unnecessary but I could get more gold into solution and not waste what acid I already had in solution.
Ensure the solution was acidic and recover the gold using copper metal to replace gold in solution.
Then if there was enough gold recovered I would then refine it in a refining process...
If only a tiny amount of gold was recovered I would save it until I had enough to process (recovering or refining lots of small lots, with a little loss in each one, can add up to a lot of gold over time).
Aqua regia in general, does not make a good recovery process, I stay away from it whenever I can.

Arekkusu28,
You are new to this. I was too. My suggestion is to spend much more time studying and less time in your lab trying things you are unsure of yet. I know I wish I would have done that when I first started I would not have made as many mistakes or lost so much of my gold in the learning process.
I suggest at first Limit your lab work on Hoke's experiments and expanding them with what you learn on the forum with electronic scrap. this way you get in your lab time and gain a good understanding of how this all works or why it won't work...

myfalconry76 said:
FrugalRefiner said:
myfalconry76 said:
Hey Dave if gold give up a electron so easy why isn't it that easy to get lead to give one up?
Gold does not give up electrons easily. That's why it's considered a noble metal. A strong oxidizer, like nitric acid, chlorine, hydrogen peroxide, etc. is required.

Lead is oxidized by nitric acid too. It is more easily oxidized than gold, so it is also oxidized by the oxygen in air. If you melt lead and cast it, it will be bright and shiny. After some exposure to air, it will become oxidized, forming a thin layer of dull lead oxide. Once this layer forms, it protects the underlying metal from further oxidation.

Dave
Once again I was thinking wrong, I should have thinking protons not electrons. Duh.

If it was giving up protons, it would be moving down periodic table, changing elements. Acids give up a proton, but that is because of the H+, as Hydrogen only has 1 proton, no neutron, deuterium (heavy hydrogen) has one of each. But, we don't deal with that in acids.
I havent had my coffee yet, that might not make perfect sense

butcher said:
Arekkusu28 said:
So, what do I do with what I have right now, solution wise? Aurachloric acid? Sulfamic acid? Then what? SMB?

I would consider what you had was an attempt at a recovery process (one normally not recommended).
With that much base metal involved, I personally would not consider using a refining process to recover the gold from solution, i.e. de-noxing and using a reducing agent like FeSO4 or SMB...

I would use a replacement reaction --if I had lots of free nitric I would consider dissolving more material to use up most of the free nitric acid, this is unnecessary but I could get more gold into solution and not waste what acid I already had in solution.
Ensure the solution was acidic and recover the gold using copper metal to replace gold in solution.
Then if there was enough gold recovered I would then refine it in a refining process...
If only a tiny amount of gold was recovered I would save it until I had enough to process (recovering or refining lots of small lots, with a little loss in each one, can add up to a lot of gold over time).
Aqua regia in general, does not make a good recovery process, I stay away from it whenever I can.

Arekkusu28,
You are new to this. I was too. My suggestion is to spend much more time studying and less time in your lab trying things you are unsure of yet. I know I wish I would have done that when I first started I would not have made as many mistakes or lost so much of my gold in the learning process.
I suggest at first Limit your lab work on Hoke's experiments and expanding them with what you learn on the forum with electronic scrap. this way you get in your lab time and gain a good understanding of how this all works or why it won't work

Best advice ever, I wish i could say that i followed it when i was first starting to recover/refine..

Topher_osAUrus said:
myfalconry76 said:
FrugalRefiner said:
myfalconry76 said:
Hey Dave if gold give up a electron so easy why isn't it that easy to get lead to give one up?
Gold does not give up electrons easily. That's why it's considered a noble metal. A strong oxidizer, like nitric acid, chlorine, hydrogen peroxide, etc. is required.

Lead is oxidized by nitric acid too. It is more easily oxidized than gold, so it is also oxidized by the oxygen in air. If you melt lead and cast it, it will be bright and shiny. After some exposure to air, it will become oxidized, forming a thin layer of dull lead oxide. Once this layer forms, it protects the underlying metal from further oxidation.

Dave
Once again I was thinking wrong, I should have thinking protons not electrons. Duh.

If it was giving up protons, it would be moving down periodic table, changing elements. Acids give up a proton, but that is because of the H+, as Hydrogen only has 1 proton, no neutron, deuterium (heavy hydrogen) has one of each. But, we don't deal with that in acids.
I havent had my coffee yet, that might not make perfect sense
That's what we would all want, down the table by 3. I know for hundreds of years it been tried to get lead to let go of three protons but hey. One can dream can't they.

Latest posts

Back