Royally screwed !

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have exchanged the filter for t-shirt material, last night while using the old P.C. power source, the negative lead was very hot to the touch, I currently (no pun intended) have this reading, looks to me as not enough voltage and too may amps, I was able to produce a good amount of silver around the bowl and a clump of crystal was forming before shut down.

Attachments

• New Reading.JPG
    New Reading.JPG
    626.8 KB · Views: 5
Well, it's good the T-shirt material worked for you. I see that you have it set on CC now. Turn your amps down with the A-Course knob to 1.743 Amps minimum. This should remediate the hotness you were experiencing from the copper.

Ahhhh, okay. Well the minimum amp number I gave you was for the graphite cathode. What is the surface area of that bowl?

Well, surface area of 235.5 square inches. Let's look at the negative lead material then. It may be too restricted, which is why it's getting hot.

The numbers you're getting on the supply are okay for the stainless bowl. They're actually on the lower end considering your surface area.

Agreed, up your wire gauge and termination points. Don't worry so much about the voltage as its the amperage that does the work, Just make sure you dont go over 3.5 volts. Also when you get a chance, swap out the tshirt material for some muslin cloth from walmart. Its cheap and by the yard. Works great as an anode filter.

Glad you got it sorted.

Agreed, up your wire gauge and termination points. Don't worry so much about the voltage as its the amperage that does the work, Just make sure you dont go over 3.5 volts. Also when you get a chance, swap out the tshirt material for some muslin cloth from walmart. Its cheap and by the yard. Works great as an anode filter.

Glad you got it sorted.
Was just typing voltage limit lol. Also, I agree on the Muslin cloth. Or 5-10 micron polypropylene felt filter material.

To OP: The 1.5 Volts to 3.5 volts range is ideal for your setup.

Last edited:
A very small amount over a few hours, I am new to this, and it seems based on the threads here on the Forum I am having less success than most, I believe the key is reading up more on the subject, however, I feel the new power source is not providing adequate current or amps, I am going to perform some tests with small electronic devices, it also seems as if it is not programmable to my needs., I started with 5ozt and 250ml HNO3 with 250ml DI, the silver wasn't dissolving as much as before, I added another 150ml of both again and afterwards diluted with 500-600ml DI, it is apparent that the solution has turned a cloudy green/blue color and not as transparent or clear as the first experiment.

Attachments

• Small Yield 1.JPG
    Small Yield 1.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • Small Yield 1a.JPG
    Small Yield 1a.JPG
    949.2 KB · Views: 8
Thin is probably too much amperage, i had the same problem on my new cell, i had to turn down the amperage. It WILL slow down the growth but make denser crystals. Try to adjust the amperage to 3.00 amps, you have alot of cathode, but a small anode.

A very small amount over a few hours, I am new to this, and it seems based on the threads here on the Forum I am having less success than most, I believe the key is reading up more on the subject, however, I feel the new power source is not providing adequate current or amps, I am going to perform some tests with small electronic devices, it also seems as if it is not programmable to my needs., I started with 5ozt and 250ml HNO3 with 250ml DI, the silver wasn't dissolving as much as before, I added another 150ml of both again and afterwards diluted with 500-600ml DI, it is apparent that the solution has turned a cloudy green/blue color and not as transparent or clear as the first experiment.
The small amount is fine. The important part is your setup is actually working now, so let's continue with that, and improve on it. Research is always a good thing, the more knowledge the better, but it will still only be a general guide, and not exact to your setup. You have to make it exact. As far as your success, don't judge it by others, there may be a lot of information, trial and error that wasn't mentioned. The only success you need to worry about is the real results that you're getting.

On the power source not being adequate, that could potentially be, but there is not enough information yet to be conclusive of that statement. What are the max outputs of that equipment as far as the specs provided in your manual?

For 5 ounces, you should've had to use about 475 ml. of your 50/50 mixture to dissolve into silver nitrate before finally diluting further into your electrolyte solution silver/liter ratios. If your solution is cloudy, this could be due to contamination.

Thin is probably too much amperage, i had the same problem on my new cell, i had to turn down the amperage. It WILL slow down the growth but make denser crystals. Try to adjust the amperage to 3.00 amps, you have alot of cathode, but a small anode.
I second this. Lower amperage, slower more pure growth.

Also, even though the t-shirt material is working for you. The thin crystals could be due to the fact of improper micron filtration sizes. The t-shirt material is really going to allow too many silver particles to be filtered through too quickly. Lowering the amperage will help in this, but also getting a proper filtering material will help immensely.

I think I may have had some progress, I was using a 5ozt bar for an anode, so it may have been causing the draw and heat from the older power source, I have exchanged it for a 1ozt round and re-attached the new DC Power supply and now it's adjustable, I will see if this helps with the growth..

Attachments

• SS Anode.png
    SS Anode.png
    557.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Adj Power.JPG
    Adj Power.JPG
    587.3 KB · Views: 10
  • SS Bowl.png
    SS Bowl.png
    743.1 KB · Views: 11
Back