safer muriatic acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been getting my HCl from the local swimming pool supply store, as liquid pool acid. It's labeled Muriatic Acid, and the the ingredient list says 31.45% HCl. It will crank your snoot if you don't keep it at arms length when opened, or have a big fan behind you, or only open it inside a fume hood. (The strong chemical filter masks will prevent breathing the fumes, but they won't stop them from getting inside your safety glasses, goggles, or face shield. And they won't block nitric at all.)

have you looked in the paint section? they will have just plain muriatic acid its a masonary cleaner and etchant. just ask for brick cleaning acid.

Hay Geo
Yes one of the workers at several stores had assumed the same thing (even saw a manager loose
A bet) no more.
also was never able to find roto or anything with sulfuric
Bur Lowes has the muriattic

What does 20% baulm mean.I will have to Ger proper spelling
Steyr223

Ace Hardware has roto drain cleaner & liquid fire drain cleaner.

Both of these are concentrated sulfuric acid. You can recognize then because the bottles are on the shelf in a sealed plastic bag.

kadriver

steyr223 said:
Hay Geo
Yes one of the workers at several stores had assumed the same thing (even saw a manager loose
A bet) no more.
also was never able to find roto or anything with sulfuric
Bur Lowes has the muriattic

What does 20% baulm mean.I will have to Ger proper spelling
Steyr223

Baume is basically a scale related to specific gravity that was (is?) used in certain industries. At one point, I had a set of Baume hydrometers. Here's a conversion chart.
http://www.oecfh.com/downloads/specific-gravity-conversion-table.pdf

Great! if you were using it in accordance with the labeling instructions. but i didnt see gold refining mentioned anywhere in the video. :lol: im not closed minded and if anyone can come up with a full list of ingredients and Lou or Harold says its ok, then i might give it a try.

Latest posts

Back