Schneider PLC refining for Gold 700 cards

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcjmengelhard

Hello I am new here and could use some help in deciding what to do with my 700 Schneider PLC cards. PLC are programmable logic controller cards used in automation and quantum computers. All the cards I have are obsolete and there is a very small market to sell them on ebay. It would take me the rest of my life. I have been told by a few people there is a decent amount of gold in each card since retail price when new is 1-7k per card. They are worth no where around that now since most are obsolete and Schneider stopped making most the ones I have 5-10 years ago. My question is has anyone ever refined a PLC card for the gold content? If so how much gold did you get out of each card and is it even worth it? If there is half a gram in each card that 350 grams of gold so over 10oz. If there's a gram in each thats 700 grams and over 20oz of gold. I am trying to decide if I should try this or just sell them all in bulk to a company that buy surplus PLC since a lot of business still use these and have to replace different PLC cards here and there. Does anyone have any recommendations on how I would find out how much gold silver platinum palladium and rhodium are in each card? Each card is around the size of a Nvidia 40 series GPU. Thanks for any help or any comments on what you would do or what you recommend for my situation. Have a nice weekend attached is a photo of just 2 of the 700 I have to give everyone a idea of what they are and what they look like. Thanks again GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg

The only way you are going to find out the value of each card is to spend some $$$ and get a professional assay done that checks each element that you are looking for. Whilst I've been involved with quite a few types of cards it would be pointless to "suggest" that you "may " get certain yields. 700 is likely enough to make that exercise worthwhile however as always there's an element of risk.

How much does each card weigh? I do have an assay lab here in the UK that could do this at a very reasonable price indeed.

ok thanks for the info. I think I'll make some aqua regia and put in 4-5 of all the chips or cards out of each unit then see how much gold I recover and then do the math on how much 700 would be. But thanks again have a nice week end

ok thanks for the info. I think I'll make some aqua regia and put in 4-5 of all the chips or cards out of each unit then see how much gold I recover and then do the math on how much 700 would be. But thanks again have a nice week end
Not a good idea for the chips, maybe not even for the cards.

How many of these do you have, is it safe to deduce there are 700 of them?
That would mean it could pay to have them assayed as Jon said.
And there are probably some Gold, Silver and Palladium, absolutely no Rh and at some rare occasions some Pt.

Chips need to be processed separately.

Hello I am new here and could use some help in deciding what to do with my 700 Schneider PLC cards. PLC are programmable logic controller cards used in automation and quantum computers

I used to build electrical automation control panels for industrial processing systems (food industry, pharmaceutical industry, aluminum anodizing companies etc. etc.)

My brother was the "programmer" so I used to tell people that I built the brains for automation systems & my brother "gave it brains" --- so I installed a good many PLCs in the panels I built
I have been told by a few people there is a decent amount of gold in each card since retail price when new is 1-7k per card.

The amount of precious metals in those I/O (Input/Output) cards has NOTHING to do with the very high price of those cards when sold new - the very high price is due to the high cost of R&D (Research & Development) & then the high cost of manufacturing the cards in order to make them "programable" with the I/O logic & then be able to process that I/O logic to make the processing system they are wired to properly function in producing the product the system is making

In other words - it is NOT the amount of precious metals in them that make them sell for (up to) $7,000 but rather the high cost of designing them (R&D) & then the actual cost of "making" them --- you know - the factory they have to build to make the cards - the "raw" materials they have to buy to "make" into cards - the employees they have to hire etc. etc.

A good many of the panels I built were built to replace old outdated systems - so I had MANY boxes full of old obsolete I/O cards

Side note here - I have also spent about 12 years recovering the precious metals out of electronic circuit boards --- first 2 years as a hobby (learning) & then the next 10 years doing it as a living - so I have actually processed some of these I/O cards for their precious metals

If there is half a gram in each card that 350 grams of gold so over 10oz.

And this is what I can tell you --- you will be LUCKY to get a tenth of a gram OR LESS per card

To put it somewhat in perspective - out of 350 cards maybe 1/4 to 1/2 troy ounce gold - & that is if you know how to get the gold out of them in the first place & then are VERY good at doing that process to get the gold out
I think I'll make some aqua regia and put in 4-5 of all the chips or cards out of each unit

That will NEVER work - it just is not that simple - there is a HUGE amount of prep work you need to do to those cards before you can even think about attempting to recover the precious metals from them

To even come close to explaining how you go about recovering the precious out of those cards - I would have to right a book - or - you can start doing A LOT of research here on this forum where it is all explained

Bottom line here is that you CAN NOT just put the cards &/or chips in aqua regia & expect to recover some precious metals --- in fact the only thing you will do by doing that is make a BIG mess - creating TOXIC waste in the process - with an outcome of NO precious metals recovered

And a final word of advice - DO NOT go looking at You Tube for advice about doing this --- we get new members here almost every day asking us --- 'I watched a You Tube video & I now have a big chemical mess & I can't figure out where my gold is &/or how to get it out of my chemical MESS"

Kurt

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back