scrap silver refining/ gold plated / silver plated

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woolf

hey guys i have a few pounds of scrap silver ( no gems ) and a few pounds of silver plater/gold plated/gold filled is this stuff worth refining? like i did the math and i think id lose money... but thats if i bought nitric acid and hydrochloric acid and made aqua regia to refine with... is there a cheaper way i should be doing this? or should i just melt down the silver and make 925 bars lol and only refine my gold that i have....

Do you plan to refine on a continuing basis? If not, your best bet is to either hold on to it as is or sell it. You could also have someone refine it for you. If you sell it on ebay, you will most likely pay about 12% in ebay/paypal fees, though ebay usually brings a higher dollar value especially if you have a high feedback rating.

If the items are marked, don't melt it into bars. Once you melt it, the buyer does not really know the silver content.

I personally don't think silver plated is worth recovering unless you have a ton of it (well maybe not a ton :roll: ).

You can try to sell on this forum, I would be willing to buy the steriling silver, but I am too cheap and you might get a better offer from someone else.

Regards,
Tom

i melt it all down my safe is running out of room for all these bags so 5-10 Toz bars are very room friendly =) lol

Woolf said:
i melt it all down my safe is running out of room for all these bags so 5-10 Toz bars are very room friendly =) lol
It may be more difficult to sell if that is your intent. If you plan to keep it or plan to refine it later, I don't see any issue with melting it into bars. That is what I do to "make room" and stop the silver from puncturing the bags I keep it in. Not on that, but they look nicer 8) .

haha ya alot of my bags tend to pop open the others or stab me -.-
i also stamp my bars so i can keep track of them better... i use a 20G max scale to weigh premelt ( small amounts at a time ) then a 500G max scale after melting and pouring it to double check my numbers... then i stamp them..

Latest posts

Back