• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Scrap Silver

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noxx,
Don't forget half dollars either they are more
silver, and people hoard them more, and then
roll them and take to the bank. You may have
better luck with halves.
Also remember this;

-80% silver (0.600 troy ounces per dollar of face value) until 1966
-in 1967, they were minted in both 80% and 50% varieties
-while in 1968 all contained 50% silver

So 66 and older are the most silver, 67 are two different, and probably hard to tell apart from each other percentages, and 68 are all 50%
silver.
Jim

Thanks a lot for this great summary !

But I never saw those half-dollars in my entire life ! I'm maybe too young.

jimdoc said:
I think the war nickels were 35% silver is that right?

That seems to ring a bell, Jim. Without looking in a coin book, I don't know for sure.

How would processing those work with all the other metals in the mix?

I imagine that you'd dissolve them in nitric, then recover the silver with copper. That would be easy enough----although it's possible that they are worth more as coins than as silver. I'm not a collector, so I don't have a clue! :)

As I recall, there's only manganese included, no other elements. Could be wrong, though.

I have never knowingly worked with manganese in refining, so I have no idea how it behaves. I know that it toughens iron alloys tremendously, and makes machining them far more difficult----but that may mean nothing to a refiner, and probably doesn't.

I know they were doing that in the Hunt Brothers years. But would it be worth it today? Not that I plan on doing that.

From an economical standpoint, I would think that they would be worth processing, especially when you consider the recent increases in silver value. The problems, of course, would be finding them in quantities that made the venture worthwhile. It's been years since I last found one in circulation. Don't know anything about the legal ramifications.

Harold

Noxx,
Here is a link to Canadian types of coins;
http://www.islandnet.com/~kpolsson/coins/canada/
And here is the one for halfs;
http://www.islandnet.com/~kpolsson/coins/canada/can50c.htm

They are probably not really circulated there just like here.
Everybody hoards them and then roll them up and spend them
or deposit them when they are broke. That is why it is a good
bet in finding silver in rolls of half dollars more so than the other
types of coins. You may get lucky with rolls of quarters or dimes
also, but I would try the halves first.
Jim

Here is a link to a guy on the metal detecting forum
with his results;

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?32,534881,534881#msg-534881

I have found some silver checking rolls before, but never results like
that. But you never know what rolls you get when you ask for them.
You may walk in after some old lady just deposited a bunch with silver
in them. Its kind of like a lottery ticket that can't loose, because you still have what you started with.
Jim

I would try half dollars.
Also ask any cashiers that you know
or are friendly with if they have any.
The lady from the neighborhood drug
store used to save silver for me and
give it to me for the face value. My
mother was a cashier and she found
alot of silver getting spent at the grocery
store also. Candy stores used to be a good
spot because kids would take the coins off
their parents dresser and spend it on candy.
Even ask the people at the bank if they have
any.
Jim

Ask Nickel boy >>>> Two threads over.

You and him should get something going. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe hold up a Coin Star machine.

Ralph,
This is for cheap silver to be used for
inquartation and refining gold. Not a
get rich scheme like two threads over.
When its going for the gold it makes
everything OK. :lol:
Jim

Lol the Aflac duck can't stop picking at me :lol: Nah, just kidding.

Here is what I've got so far ==> Yahoo !

[IMG::]http://i18.tinypic.com/67p5384.jpg[/img]

The last one is with George IV face. (1945)

But... I may want your coins finally :)

jimdoc said:
Ralph,
This is for cheap silver to be used for inquartation and refining gold.

I melted one hell of a lot of those Canadian coins when I refined, and exactly for that reason----inquartation.

I'd be very surprised if you found any of them in circulation today. With silver bordering on $13, they're worth considerably more than face value and have long since been removed from circulation by hoarders (and people like us!).

Harold

It's interesting to note that the pre-82 US pennies weighed 3.11 grams. Therefore, 10 of them weighed 31.1 grams = 1.00 troy ounce. When I used to occasionally sell small amounts of karat gold scrap, as is, I would carry 10 hardly worn pennies in my pocket. I had weighed them beforehand to make sure they weighed 1 oz. Before showing my gold, I would ask the buyer to first weigh the pennies. Hardly any buyer knew how much a penny weighed. I didn't trust anyone in that business. I had always heard stories about some buyers having "buying" scales and "selling" scales. One time, it paid off. I caught them with a crooked scale.

keep at it with the rolls , silver at face value is a great thing, the worse case for everyone trying is a bunch of change worth what you paid for it. its a shame though how many of the silver coins i most likely put back into circulation because i didn't know they had silver in them~ they were more frequent in the past~ :) :) :)

if you get a hold of silver coins check a value book, or on ebay even to see if the coin have more value then spot silver ~ u.s currency has mint marks P (phillidelpha) which is the most common D (denver ) and S ( san fransisco) each mint made a different amount for the year so a coin with a P may only be worth lets say as an example 4.00, a coin with the same year with an S may be worth 100.00 or more .(go on ebay and type 1909s and check that coin i wont have to tell you what coin comes up because you will see by the price)
canada coins im not familiar with but i would expect that every year there were different numbers produced.

goldsilverpro great idea ~never would have thought of that there are definatly alot of crooked "businessmen" out there.

postmako keep at it you'll get ya some silver~ :)

noxx good job on the coins ~im happy you have some good results
But... I may want your coins finally
there yours whenever you want them.

If you have a large amount of quarters or dimes stacked in a dime, instead of looking at each date, you can use this trick: look at the edges of the coins. If it has no silver, there will be a copper stripe in the middle. Silver containing coins have a solid silvery edge.

badastro thats how i do it with my rolls, the problem with canadian coins is they have the same rim as silver coins ~ many times i was like whoohoo and then it turned out to be canadian~ here in newyork canadian coins are pretty common to get whether in store change or in rolls. not so sure if its like that in other states but id imagine the border states do.~nothing like finding a silver coin though :D :D :D

Back