separating pgm powder from each other(pd,pt,rh)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthur kierski

i use ar and heat the solution many times(3 times) and add hcl every time to eliminate the nitric----when this is done, i filter the solution and in the filter paper stays the rhodium----the rhodium left in the filter paper is fused with nahso4 at 500centigrates and then passed thru boiling water---here a problem appears:for example ; 8grams of rhodium powder dissolves and becomes (left)3,9grams-----the 3,9grams left is treated again with nahso4 and after the proceess ,still 3,5grams is left---i suspect that the powder left is pdo or silica dissolved in the extraction of the pgm from catalitic convertors-----can any one sugest what is the powder left?had anyone had the same problem?
thanks for any help
Arthur

If you are using powdered zinc in your process be sure it is free of Cab-o-Sil (SiO2). Test a small sample of your powdered zinc by dissolving in HCl. If you have a fine brown sediment remaining it contains Cab-O-Sil as a shipping stabilizer. I switched to zinc turnings for this very reason. I sell the turnings at my web store (link below).

If it is Cab-O-Sil it should slowly dissolve in a solution of boiling lye. Be very cautious with hot caustic solutions as they can be more dangerous than hot acids.

Steve

Steve,i use powdered iron for all my precipitations and then clean the precipitates with 10%h2so4(hot) and then plenty of hot water (until the solution is clear from iron sulfate--which i test with nh4oh)---
Arthur
the powder left might be silica from the cat substrate-----i will try to dissolve it with a bit of hf(very carefully)--just to make sure

thanks again
Arthur

Latest posts

Back