Seperating pure silver 30% from pure gold 70% alloy

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeweler1

I m trying to refine metal that is 30% pure silver and 70% pure gold with no other
metals present .
First I tried boiling it in weak Nitric acid about 20% . this had no reaction at all
than I added HCL to the solution this dissolved some gold but left the metal coated with
a black coating and stopped the reaction . I precipitated this with Sodium Metabisulphite
and gold did settle out but there still was a lot of metal left.
So I remelted it and rolled it out thinly and tried concentrated nitric . This caused
the solution to become cloudy white (not blue) so I again added some water but this
had no reaction . So I again added HCL the color turned light yellow (some gold present)
and the metal turned black .
I again melted it and rolled it out (now it looked like only silver) Now I again tried
week Nitric acid which seemed to have very little reaction ?
How do I separate the silver from the gold in this metal? any help would be greatly
appreciated .

This is a case for inquarting , the silver stops the AR and the gold stops the nitric reacting, so add more silver or copper if you must and then use nitric to remove the silver and base metals then use AR to refine the gold.

Thanks I was afraid that was my only solution I guess there is no other "easy" way

Latest posts

Back