Shared from my bookshelf

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank You Sue,

It's good to see what sources there are for receiving a better grasp on the Art of working with Precious Metals.

I have question about one of your final entries.

The Metallurgy of Gold M. Eissler. -- I have heard of a book with the same title only T. K. Rose is the author . Did Eissler and Rose work together? Is this the same book?

In My Library.

The Sampling and Assay of Precious Metals E. A. Smith
American College Dictionary (ayup I need help sometimes)
Fire Assay Principles Course-Jim Humble-Action Mining
Bureau Of Mines -- RI 9384
Bureau of Mines -- RI 9543
Conversation on Mines between a Father a Son William Hopton 1883
Refining Precious Metals Waste C M hoke

And A whole host of others.

Here is a list of the precious metal books in my library, I may have missed some since, I have thousands of books on cars, and art as well.

-The Platinum Metals And Their Alloys;The International Nickle Co.
-Testing Precious Metals- Identifying-Buying-Selling; CM Hoke
-Refining Precious Metal Wastes; CM Hoke
-Platinum pamplet reprint from Stanadrd Methods Of Chemical Analysis;
RE Hickman
-Ammen On Platinum; CW Ammen
-Recovery And Refining Of Precious Metals; CW Ammen
-Gold Refing; George Gajda
-Rare Metals Handbook; Hampfel
-The Chemistry Of The Rarer Platinum Metals(Os,Ru,Ir and Rh) WP Griffith
-Pactical Dental Metallurgy; Hogden
-Precious Metals Science And Technology; IPMI
-A History Of Platinum And Its Allied Metals;McDonald & Hunt
-Professional Goldsmithing; Alan Revere
-Noble Metals; Time Life
-Silver Economics,Metallurgy, And Its Uses; Butts-Coxe
-Gold Recovery,Properties,And Its Applications; Wise
-Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Gold And Other
Precious Metals; Russel Burkett
-Precious Metals Trade Guide;James W Bushnell
-The Precious Metals Of Medicine; Scribners
-Megan Rose's Pamphlets on Platinum & Catalytic Converters
-Materials Aspects In Automotive Catalytic Converters; Hans Bode
-Precious Metals; RO McGache & AG Bradley
-Colorimetric Metal Analysis;Sandell
-Working In Precious Metals; Ernest A Smith
-Electrolytic Seperation, Recovery And Refining Of Metals; Gore
-Electroplating And Electrorefining; Watt Phillip
-Metallurgical Thermochemistry; O Kubaschewski & E LL Evans
-Principles Of Electroplating & Electroforming; Blum & Hogaboom
-Fundamental Aspects Of Electrometallurgy;
-A Dictionary Of Metals & Their Alloys; FJ Camm
-Data Concerning Platinum; Baker & Co.
-Technical And Industrial Platinum; J Bishop & Co. Platinum Works
-Bibliography Of The Metals Of The Platinum Group 1748-1917
-An Outline Of Metallurgical Practice;Haywoard
-The Pirotechnia
-How To Smelt Your Gold And Silver;Hank Chapman Jr.
-CLS Manual(Non Cyanide Leaching); Action Mining

One I plan on getting is- Metallurgy Of Gold; Rose

I've just started with the gold books, but here is my current references list:

-Refining Prescious Metal and Wastes by CM Hoke
-Testing, Assaying, and Identification of Au, Ag, and Pt by Ed Fusch
-CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics 1974-1975 55th Edition
-Chemistry and Our Changing World by Alan & Sharon Sherman

I also have slew of electronics fabrication and computer hardware guides.

Steve

A very impressive list, jimdoc. I only have 6 or 8 of those plus a few not on your list. Many of my books have been stolen, lost, or loaned out and not returned. I'm going to start a new thread for my books.

Sue,

I just noticed that one of the books on your list is the book that I wrote, "The Complete Guide to Gold and Silver Scrap". I hope you weren't disappointed in it. It needs some revision plus I plan on several additions - one of my many projects. Also, I know a lot more than I did 18 years ago. I basically wrote it for scrap metal dealers.

Chris Owen

No. It never was in print. I had many copies made and bound in the early '90's. They were all sold by a man who was selling probably 100 different books to scrap dealers. He died and I didn't print any more. I had lots of other things going on and it got left behind. I think Sue bought his copy when I was active on recyclebiz.com. Maybe, he bought it in the early '90's. There were 2 or 3 people on recyclebiz that asked for one and I made a few copies. Right now, I have two copies, one bound and one loose one for scanning. The book is 100 pages.

I will sell it again but I first want to update it, revise some parts, and add 3 or 4 new sections. Film scrap is one example. When I wrote the original, the only experience I had was the little 1000#/day tumbler that I was running at the time. Since then, I spent 4 years working for one of the nation's largest film refiners. My knowledge of film has increased 100 fold. Scanning and OCR'ing, for editing, is what has me bogged down now. The original was written on a funky Brother electronic typewriter with strange type that doesn't OCR worth a darn. I may have to retype it, as a one finger typist.

When it's ready, I'll announce it on this forum. It's just a matter of finding 100 free hours. I'll concentrate on it.

Chris,

If you have a supporting speech to text engine (Microsoft Windows XP with MS Office 2003) you can just dictate the book to your computer. After a short configuration routine your pc can type the document as you read it. Dragon Naturally Speaking is another product that lets you dictate to your pc.

PM me if you need help.

Steve

I have office 2003 but only W2K. I have an old PIII computer. I had XP for awhile but had too many problems. About 7 years ago, I played around with a popular IBM (I think) speech recognition program and found the training period to be very long and taxing. Are the new programs (Dragon) better and easier to train?

Yes, the newer engines are much better. The trick is to speak as you normally would. People tend to talk like robots to the computer and this confuses the software. The recognition phonetics work off of the continuity (even flow) of the speech. The military developed this technology many years ago and it has greatly improved over the years. Dragon has an excellent product. Be sure to check the minimum system requirements before purchasing.

Scrap your PIII and upgrade to a new P4 with 1Gb+ of RAM, you'll be glad you did. :D

Steve

I wish. I notice the requirements for Dragon8, the version before the newest one, fit within my computer. How is version 8? BTW, thanks. It's a great idea.

Dragon 8 is good enough. Does your rig meet the minimum requirements or the recommended?

Steve

Chris,

RAM is cheap, you should bump yours up to the recommended or better. If you are not running DDR or DDR2 RAM and your mobo supports it, I would swap your current memory with the double data rate stuff when you upgrade. If you PM me your mobo model number I'll let you know if it supports the sporty DDR stuff. It's cheaper now-a-days than the older PC1xx type of RAM anyway. If it was me I would max out the motherboards potential with respect to RAM and RAM speed. Adding RAM is one of the easiest ways to boost your pc's performance. Trust me you'll thank me for this tip when you see how much better your pc runs in all respects.

Steve

I am brand new in the world of refining. What should be the first book a novice should have?

afella,

You can 't miss by getting your hands on a copy of C.M. Hokes, Refining Precious Metals Wastes. Harold turned me on to it and it's great. It was written a long time ago but the information in it is timeless.

Steve

Latest posts

Back