silver cell using silver anode and graphte cathode

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
exoticinfusion said:
has anyone had refine 925 silver ingot in silver nitrate without silver dropping out of soulotion as chloride
Something isn't right. When you part silver in a cell, you shouldn't experience the formation of silver chloride under any condition.

I trust you are not using tap water for making your electrolyte? Did you flux when melting, and did some of the flux make it to the cell?

Parting sterling isn't a good idea, assuming your target is pure silver. I'm not suggesting that it won't part---it just fouls the electrolyte prematurely. I would recommend a dilute nitric dissolution of your sterling, accompanied by recovery of the silver on copper. Rinse the cemented silver well before melting, so you eliminate as much copper as you can. As is typical of all electrolytic cells used in purifying metals, feedstock is best held close to pure before parting.

Harold

I melted bunch of broken 925 scraps i used borax for melting so wouldent stick to dish but when i put ingot in cell just seamed i was pulling lot of copper out of soultion, i made nitric soultion from sodium nitrate distilled water and sulphuric i even tried piece of 925 without melting same thing happened

I don't think you can make silver cell electrolyte with poor man's nitric. Traces of chlorides and remnants of sulfuric are just going to cause problems.

Check posts on silver cell to be sure but I think the nitric you have made is strong enough. Digest the .925 in the nitric first then cement out with CU wash the silver until it is clean then add 100 grams to 1 liter of your clean nitric to run in the cell. Continue to digest the rest of your .925 and cement with CU melt and pour ingots to refine in the cell. Again read more on silver cell in the search block to make sure I have not sent you astray.
Mark

Latest posts

Back