silver chloride

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claudie

I put a piece of copper tubing in my stock pot to precipitate out any PM's. The copper turned white. I sprayed some of it off with water into a beaker and added more water and let this set. It turned black. Is this silver chloride?

Claudie said:
I put a piece of copper tubing in my stock pot to precipitate out any PM's. The copper turned white. I sprayed some of it off with water into a beaker and added more water and let this set. It turned black. Is this silver chloride?
I'd find it strange to have silver nitrate in a stock pot---but if you've discarded spent nitric solutions in the stock pot without having added any chlorides, I can only guess that it could be silver chloride *. The reason I have to guess is that my stock pot was never absent base metals. I kept it well stocked with scrap steel, which cemented copper and all elements above, of value.

*Ok, with that out of the way, why you'd end up with silver chloride when you introduced copper isn't clear to me, either. Copper cements silver with gusto--so any silver nitrate that touched the copper tubing would most likely be cemented almost instantly, yielding elemental silver, not silver chloride. I don't have an answer to your question, and share your being clueless.

I'm of the opinion that many of the readers don't really understand the stock pot. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The stock pot isn't a place you send things you don't want---it's the place you send solutions that have traces of values, so they can be recovered. Why you'd let silver enter the stock pot would be not clearly understood in that it is almost always accompanied by copper, so you'd be much better served to have used HCl or common salt to extract as silver chloride any silver nitrate that may be present.

Harold

edit: corrected my comment

I have always had the copper tubing in there. It has been precipitating a fine black powder. This is all in a 4 gallon bucket. I changed the bucket by siphoning off the solution into a clean bucket so I could get the power that was on the bottom. After the solution was in the clean bucket, I put the same piece of tubing back into the solution. When I returned the next day, the tubing had a thick white covering on it. There is no Nitric in the solution. The solution consists mostly of HCL/Clorox batches that I have already precipitated the gold from, and water. What started this particular bucket off was a large batch of HCL/Clorox that I was using to get the Gold from porcelain and glassware. Since it was a large batch, about one gallon, I put it in the bucket to precipitate. The solution in the bucket has been diluted with approximately 70% water. I don't believe the newer bucket was contaminated with anything. The solution started out being clear, but now has turned a shade of green. I am using white plastic buckets. I will try to get a picture up later today.
Claude

White.jpg

The stuff floating on the top is what came off the tubing when I raised it out of the solution.

Stannous test with a Q-Tip was yellow. Adding water could cause this right? I used water in my siphon tube.

A barren solution will digest copper till your pipe is gone. I would guess you got any traces the first time and now conditions are right to eat copper.

Do you have any fingers to run in AP?

Claudie said:
I have always had the copper tubing in there. It has been precipitating a fine black powder.
That being the case, were it mine, I'd be inclined to gather a trace of the black powder and make a determination of what I was collecting. You may be spinning your wheels.

Harold

Stannous test was positive for gold on the dark colored powder I removed, I checked that first thing.

Back