Silver Clay

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicknitro

I have recently seen a clay-like substance used in jewelry making, that can be molded around gems, or other precious things. When heated in a kiln it converts to pure silver moulded around the item formed to. Any ideas as to the compound used? It seems really cool. Is it hard to make? If so, anyone know a reliable source of this item?

I saw it on the travel channel's Kirsten Gumpst Treasure Hunter. I hope that is right. LOL

Just another one for all,

Nick

A company that sells this stuff had a booth at the MJSA expo a few weeks ago. I spoke to the representative about this stuff, they did a lot of demos as well (I watched plenty of them).

According to what they told me, the product is silver (or gold too), a binding substance, and water. You can put it in a kiln, or just use a torch to "cure" the material. The moisture and binding material burn out and what is left is 99.9% pure silver.

Apparently there is a whole underground community for people who design and sell jewelry made with this material.

The silver clay costs around $2/gram - depending on the market price and manufacturer. I forget how much the gold costs, but it is much more expensive.

Here are some places to get it:
http://www.silver-clay.com/
http://www.artclayworld.com/

Wow,

Thanks for the info Matt,

That was very informative. Has your company seen any potential scrap from this industry?

I really like this Idea, it is uncomplicated and straight forward. For jewelry makers it is very convenient.

As I said I only saw it on T.V. and was unaware of a Gold-Clay too. Very Cool.

Thanks,

Nick :D

could it be like the ===lead and bismuth powdered fine (to lower melting point)and mixed with a flamable paste substance, used for soldering , to solder wire coated with this stuff, with a match, or cigarette lighter ? ?
have not seen it lately but it used to be around.

The semiconductor and electronics manufacturing sector uses lots of precious and base metal pastes for making hybrid circuits and packaging. A while back, I had some Pt paste that was used like this. DuPont made Ag paste, I still have some of their product. Neat stuff.

Latest posts

Back