Silver recovery with lye & sugar from silver chloride

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rotz

Hello fellas

I tried my first silver recovery today. It doesnt go very well.
I clean silver chlorides than I wash with soda. I guess this stage was wrong. When ph 7, I added NaOH. All of the dust been yellow. Here is the pictures.
E4BA4A12-2CF1-4FD9-ADFB-ABD46C2D861B.jpeg
FE3EDA55-4795-4A68-9C6C-D2A28D353BEE.jpeg
E8865115-8420-4D91-8A78-3784BA4F9A22.jpeg
6615128C-9293-4EE9-A7AD-B2A48CCCA800.jpeg

Take a sample and add fresh HCl and stir. Anything that doesn't dissolve can be considered silver chloride. Rinse with water until the water stays clear. Add water to a volume of about a couple of inches over the solids. Start adding hydroxide while stirring. Heat and steam will be generated. If the glassware gets very hot, stop adding and allow it to cool. You will add hydroxide until the solids turn black. Do not rely on PH factor. After all of the material has turned black, rinse with water until the water stays clear. Add water to several inchs over the solids. Start adding sugar while stirring. The black will slowly turn brown and settle much faster.

Geo said:
Take a sample and add fresh HCl and stir. Anything that doesn't dissolve can be considered silver chloride. Rinse with water until the water stays clear. Add water to a volume of about a couple of inches over the solids. Start adding hydroxide while stirring. Heat and steam will be generated. If the glassware gets very hot, stop adding and allow it to cool. You will add hydroxide until the solids turn black. Do not rely on PH factor. After all of the material has turned black, rinse with water until the water stays clear. Add water to several inchs over the solids. Start adding sugar while stirring. The black will slowly turn brown and settle much faster.

I late remember... I guess white dusts was PbCl. I didn't wash with hot water the dust becuase I use Pb and Ag for collector metal. I will resume where I leave off. Becuase It is probably Pb.

I'm trying to understand what you did here. What do you mean you washed with soda? Why did you get the ph down to 7? After dissolving the silver you can add your salt or HCL straight away to get silver chloride. Also what was your source material and the silver content percentage?

goldenchild said:
I'm trying to understand what you did here. What do you mean you washed with soda? Why did you get the ph down to 7? After dissolving the silver you can add your salt or HCL straight away to get silver chloride. Also what was your source material and the silver content percentage?

Dear Goldenchild

I proceeed bottom BGA chips to see silver amount. I added soda after I precipitated silver chloride with salt and HCl. I tried both of them. I don't add soda anymore. at the weekend I melt the silver. It is Ok. 5 gr silver I took. (I had 250 gr bottom BGA.)
Thank you everbody.

Latest posts

Back