single element replacement

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikes1066

Just did a single element replacement test using a silver round. Test was one drop of AR from my digestion. Looks like a brown powder and the AR turned green. I am going to use sodium chlorate to go after palladium/ rhodium first then retest with stannous chloride to see what else is found.

Attachments

• silver replacement.jpg
    silver replacement.jpg
    135.2 KB
I am not dealing with recycled material. I am dealing with mined material. It is always a good idea to have a secondary test when attempting to confirm the first one. Besides this was only a one drop test. Rain permitting I will degas and use sodium chlorate NaClo3 to drop palladium and potential rhodium then run another stannous test and proceed from there. I have had some small results doing this but have had many problems. I am doing the extra steps in an effort to verify results before wasting money on an assay.

mikes1066 said:
I am not dealing with recycled material. I am dealing with mined material. It is always a good idea to have a secondary test when attempting to confirm the first one. Besides this was only a one drop test. Rain permitting I will degas and use sodium chlorate NaClo3 to drop palladium and potential rhodium then run another stannous test and proceed from there. I have had some small results doing this but have had many problems. I am doing the extra steps in an effort to verify results before wasting money on an assay.

This is fantastic, it is amazing to watch to what lengths people are willing to go to save money. Even to the stage they are willing to spend more than they are trying to save.
So you are basically saying that getting assay first is a waste of money when you can throw number of chemicals you have to pay for on some rocks and spend hours of doing so. No wonder you have had many problems while getting some small results. Not to mention that whatever conclusion you come to is just a guess anyway.

Let's try a different approach and maybe something useful will come of it.

Mike, why don't you explain what you started with, its origin etc. and how you prepared it and digested it. Then we can discuss what you are trying to accomplish.

I think I understand what you are trying to do and I also think that silver is too close to the other metals you are trying to replace to give you a good indication. But maybe if you explain in more detail we can give you more to work with.

If every atom is dirty with something a assay flux removes you end up with nothing but slag. I did get some positive results today and did get some palladium to drop in AR using sodium chlorate NaClO3 . Every time I have tried to post some positive results you pick it to pieces for anything you can come up with. Everyone might want to be a little happy because I found some pgm metals in an area that it has never been discovered before. I call that a raging success. I'm not going to bother posting pics, you wouldn't believe me anyway. I doubt I ever post anything else on this forum either.

Good Day

Mike

I have read all of your posts, you were asking about the same ore a year and a half ago, and now you are asking again. But you have yet to, in 14 posts, really say much about what you are doing in a way that I can follow. Now I may not be the sharpest crayon in the box but I know this industry and if you were making sense I think I could follow.

So I will say it again, go back to the beginning and describe this material and what you have done in the past and what you are doing now and we will try to make sense of it and help you. Remember, we are not out there soliciting people to come here for help, you came here of your own free will. So either ask a question with details we can relate to or have a nice life!

Latest posts

Back