Skinning cats and other alternate ways of doing things

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:) I`ve probably tried many animals while I was in China (putting into service a machine)....we ate at a restaurant where noone spoke english.....only chinese (cantonese or mandarin I have no clue) we picked our food from pictures in the meniu, we felt like kindergarden children when presented a coloring book.....some were eatable...some were not....but hey...i`m still here so .....who knew what they feed us with.... :) :p
Those 40 oz Sing Toas Are not too bad

It is funny how people see things from different parts of the world. What some find offensive others may consider a delicacy. It is just a matter of what is available and where one was raised. I have seen shows on Guinea Pigs that stated they were bred and raised for food in parts of South America where refrigeration was lacking. This way none would be wasted. Same with the miniature and pot bellied pigs.

Just to add to my list, beaver, muskrat, nutria, squirrel, rabbit both wild and domestic, alligator, farmed and wild, duck, goose, crane, pheasant, frogs and others. The list of Asian foods goes way out there as well. I like food and can't see judging what others eat without trying it. And yes, sometimes I have tried stuff I really wished I hadn't later. But I at least tried.

It is funny how people see things from different parts of the world. What some find offensive others may consider a delicacy. It is just a matter of what is available and where one was raised. I have seen shows on Guinea Pigs that stated they were bred and raised for food in parts of South America where refrigeration was lacking. This way none would be wasted. Same with the miniature and pot bellied pigs.

Just to add to my list, beaver, muskrat, nutria, squirrel, rabbit both wild and domestic, alligator, farmed and wild, duck, goose, crane, pheasant, frogs and others. The list of Asian foods goes way out there as well. I like food and can't see judging what others eat without trying it. And yes, sometimes I have tried stuff I really wished I hadn't later. But I at least tried.
When smelt were running on lake michigan, we'd pop the heads off and strip the innards by hand. One night some chinese folks came down the pier to watch, they got excited and left. They were back in an hour with 5 gallon buckets that they filled to overflowing with smelt heads. The brown trout were gorging on the heads also, but they would only hit the heads with 2 eyes...

In my younger days, I did make the mark for a rather good job.
Out of two thousand applicants, only one hundred were chosen for training.
I managed to get into the training.
At one point, we were fed a worm omelet.
We turned up for the first week and were stripped of every useful and comforting bit of kit we had brought.
Then the instructor asked, ""So do we have any VEGETARIANS amounts us?"
Quite a feisty girl called Jo that came in from the RCA had the stupidity to actually put her hand up.
Needless to say, she was tasked with killing and skinning most of our fresh meat over the next month.
I was not one of the final twenty who got the job.
But if they had to eat worm omelets, I do not think I missed out one much.
Best meal ever was when one of our instructors called Chris Blacky went out for a walk with a blade and came back with a nicely sized Ro Buck.
We butchered it clean and then pit roasted it.
Meat like butter.
Rabbit not bad in stew but better in a bolognese.
You can keep your tree rat and other varmint with very little good meat to eat.

Last edited:
Did they give you Texas Pete w/ the omelet ?
May I ask what training was this ?
I worked in salmon canneries in Alaska (1988) processed Halibut and Salmon
Not a big fan of salmon unless it’s smoked .

Did they give you Texas Pete w/ the omelet ?
May I ask what training was this ?
I worked in salmon canneries in Alaska (1988) processed Halibut and Salmon
Not a big fan of salmon unless it’s smoked .
No we were deprived of such luxury, ketchup and oxo cubes were contraband.
I did my primary orientation, Mountain crafts, navigation, marksmanship as an Irish Defence Force Auxiliary Unit Volunteer.
A cross between your army reserves and our nickname Boy Scouts.
My uncle Cormac had been a part of the Auxiliary Division of the Royal Irish Constabulary since the sixties, so it was kind of expected of me.
Good access to UK based courses for anyone who wanted to take them.
I heard that those canneries were like an adult fun farms, isolated but good entertainment after hours.
We used to get young salmon called souwin in Wales from the locals who netted.
Delicious, butter a little garlic left to steam in its own juice.

Out of curiosity, did shark meat ever make the list?

No we were deprived of such luxury, ketchup and oxo cubes were contraband.
I did my primary orientation, Mountain crafts, navigation, marksmanship as an Irish Defence Force Auxiliary Unit Volunteer.
A cross between your army reserves and our nickname Boy Scouts.
My uncle Cormac had been a part of the Auxiliary Division of the Royal Irish Constabulary since the sixties, so it was kind of expected of me.
Good access to UK based courses for anyone who wanted to take them.
I heard that those canneries were like an adult fun farms, isolated but good entertainment after hours.
We used to get young salmon called souwin in Wales from the locals who netted.
Delicious, butter a little garlic left to steam in its own juice.
I worked in Ekuk mostly , looked like an abandoned military post . One Recreation/ center . Most fish went overseas
Grades 1 Japan
Grade 2 other markets
Grade 3 cans
Locals would have a few drinks and ride around on ATVS and shoot their rifles in the air at night .
In the morning we start all over again

Last edited:
I worked in Ekuk mostly , looked like an abandoned military post . One Recreation/ center . Most fish went overseas
Grades 1 Japan
Grade 2 other markets
Grade 3 cans
Never made it outside of main land Europe.
One or two jobs as a loader during the South African exodus, but landing loading and taking off is not what I consider visiting a country.
Would love to visit the wilder side of Canada and US. as a Commonwealth country, I am told I am welcome to visit Canada, but unwelcome in the US because of infractions in my younger days.
Maybe if I ever manage to get my hands free again I might have the pleasure of getting to know your country.
If you are ever in South West England, I would be happy to take you up on Dart or Ex Moor for a few nights.
Not quite as wild as the Black Hills of Ireland, but I am getting a bit old and do not have my yacht any more, so have to stay this side of the ditch.

When smelt were running on lake michigan, we'd pop the heads off and strip the innards by hand. One night some chinese folks came down the pier to watch, they got excited and left. They were back in an hour with 5 gallon buckets that they filled to overflowing with smelt heads. The brown trout were gorging on the heads also, but they would only hit the heads with 2 eyes...
Stop I’m getting hungry.

Never made it outside of main land Europe.
One or two jobs as a loader during the South African exodus, but landing loading and taking off is not what I consider visiting a country.
Would love to visit the wilder side of Canada and US. as a Commonwealth country, I am told I am welcome to visit Canada, but unwelcome in the US because of infractions in my younger days.
Maybe if I ever manage to get my hands free again I might have the pleasure of getting to know your country.
If you are ever in South West England, I would be happy to take you up on Dart or Ex Moor for a few nights.
Not quite as wild as the Black Hills of Ireland, but I am getting a bit old and do not have my yacht any more, so have to stay this side of the ditch.
Deal

Out of curiosity, did shark meat ever make the list?
Black Tip are good, especially the medium sized ones. Mako is excellent and while they live in deeper water there is a place or two where deep channels come close enough to land to catch one occasionally from the beach.

Wild pork around our house is considered a delicacy. We have very few, but occasionally one will show up. East and Central Texas is great and have some that get 400 plus pounds.

Mako is excellent and while they live in deeper water there is a place or two where deep channels come close enough to land to catch one occasionally from the beach.
Years ago I used to go 70 miles off shore from Long Island to the Hudson canyon mostly for tuna but more than once a mako traveled back to port with us on ice.

Years ago I used to go 70 miles off shore from Long Island to the Hudson canyon mostly for tuna but more than once a mako traveled back to port with us on ice.
Yup, Mako is rather good. Caught 1 in the shipping lanes off the coast of Portugal. Ate a Mako steak that day. Much better than the wild turkeys around here.

Yup, Mako is rather good. Caught 1 in the shipping lanes off the coast of Portugal. Ate a Mako steak that day. Much better than the wild turkeys around here.
In the summer, the Marcel come close enough to the Devon Coast that you can catch them with a beach line.
Not as large but very plentiful for an overnight beach party.

When we went out to the canyon we were going primarily for tuna, only once did we get a giant tuna but we often got the smaller tuna about 30" long and called footballs locally. Very good eating. Another surprise out in the warm Gulf waters of the canyon were dolphinfish, I believe they are also called Mahi Mahi.

Back