SMB Hot Or Cold??

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomascorley

Hi all,

I have had some success this weekend, I managed to successfully and safely dissolve the gold off some ceramic CPUs. I Also managed to neutralise the nitric acid and got my Ph level down to 1 as recommended by the good folks of "Gold Refining Forum" ... now I have a solution ready for SMB. Which temperature is best for dropping gold? I'm guessing that dissolving the SMB in hot water will be helpful.

------So should my gold solution be hot or cold?-------

Any constructive assistance would be much appreciated, I did consult the Hocke book prior to this post but unless I'm mistaken he talks mostly of using metallic precipitants.

Cheers for reading.

The sodium metabisulfite produces SO2 gas in solution, the SO2 gas is what reduces the gold ions in solution back to gold metal powders, a cold solution will hold gas longer than a hot solution, with the cool or cold solution the SO2 gas can stay in solution longer where it is needed to reduce the gold.

Gold precipitates better from a dilute solution, the water in the solution as well as the acid is important for the reaction of the SMB to be able to form the SO2 gas.

Read the title of the book again, it is not Hocke book, it is refining precious metals by C.M. Hoke.

C.M. Hoke's discusses several chemical reagents to precipitate gold, as well as cementing it out of solution with metals.

Thanks for the input.

"Read the title of the book again, it is not Hocke book, it is refining precious metals by C.M. Hoke."

It never ceases to amaze me how pedantic folks can be on this site. The Moto says "Refiners helping one another" Not sure how the needles corrections help.

I was incorrect by saying " The Hocke Book" I just used that expression so that every one here would know what I was talking about. Any one here who enjoys learning new skills also appreciates that their is a lot of time and effort spent on researching. Especially when these skills are acquired in your own time. Internet forums are a valuable place to share knowledge and bounce idea's with people from all different walks of life. So why bother with the snobbery? Why not just post in a way that you would expect others to post to you?

Thanks for Help/explanations really is much appreciated.

"Hoke" seems to be the most commonly misspelled four letter word around here.
If you can't get her name straight, then you really should find another hobby.

Jim

Pedantic can save a person or persons life, not to mention a lot of money. Pedantic's should apply to all circumstances surroundings one profession and not just for the important details, but for the minor one's as well. It's a discipline, not an imperfection ! I guess nuclear plants and space programs shouldn't worry about pedantic's either.

Thomascorley,

You really misunderstood my post, it was not snobbery, and I always post in a way I expect others to post to me, If I call you by the wrong name I would not mind it one bit if you corrected me, and reminded me of your correct name, so that I could call my friend by his proper name, and on this forum I think we also should call C.M. Hoke by her proper name also (and at least know the name of her book).

My friend this was not snobbery, I do not do that, I was trying to be helpful.

And I will also not put up with snobbery on the forum, that kind of thing does not happen here on this forum, as it may on other places in the internet, but here also we will try to correct things we see wrong, not to be snobs, but to be helpful, after you are here for a while I believe you will see things differently.

I did not intend to rub your feathers the wrong way, and am sorry they got ruffled, but may be you will call Hoke's by her proper name now, and we can forget this matter and go on to help each other to learn more.

Take care my friend.

I had to look up the word pendantic, I have never heard the word or phrase before.

If I understand the definition of the word it is normally a negative term used to describe a person who is trying to show off his book learning, or is overly concerned with obscure facts, or trivia, and is showing off usually in a tiresome way, mostly quoting unrelated details or facts, being too concerned with literal accuracy and formality.

Well that is some word there, but I do not believe I was being pendantic.

But here on the forum we are very concerned with details, and we are concerned with the obscure facts, and we are concerned with the formality, and even the literary details in how we write on the forum, as in this field the details are very important, the small details can mean the difference in success or failure, in recovery or refining it is normally the small details that will cause you the most trouble and grief, just try and precipitate your gold with sodium metabisulfate (instead of sodium metabisulfite), and see if the detail of one letter in the word make any difference, just skip one small part of a process which can also be the difference between having gold, or a just having one big mess, one small detail in chemistry wrong and you could have a very dangerous situation like an exploding glass vessel in your face, or a lungful of deadly gases knocking you to the floor, or cause you to be blinded for life.

I do not believe I am pedantic, but I do believe the details in chemistry are very important, and when we discuss these on the forum it is very important we pay attention to these small details, and on the forum doing our best to get our spelling correct, can be not only very important in communicating our ideas, but just like refining gold it can help to refine us to be able to communicate better, and many times the better communication can help to keep us out of problems and dangers in our refining or work with chemistry of these metals.

What if we did not care how we spelled, or made our posts on the forum, haphazardly writing the chemical names, or instructions, what if we just sloppily wrote a posts of a very dangerous recovery or refining, not stating all of the steps or left out important details, or safety precautions out in the stages, where one mistake in the process could make an explosive mix?

Would this be the place you would wish to learn from? Would you want to perform these dangerous steps of these chemical reactions, using these sloppy instructions of misspelled words and missing details as instructions, without understanding those small important details?

Wouldn't you rather be able to spell Hokes, and learn to recover and refine pure gold?

OK........

I understand in this line of work their are some things that are absolutely critical, given the potential disaster that can result from the miss-use of words/ incorrect spelling. I always make quite considerable effort to make sure that posts are accurate. I wouldn't even dream of posting some thing related to chemical process with out being 110% sure that all information provided is sound. Its seems that as soon as some one slips up no matter how trivial, every one here just wants to jump on the band wagon and have a good stab at the new guy,

"Jim doc" is a prime example.

Spelling a persons name wrong means you should find another hobby?

Would you (Jim doc) find that a particularly constructive comment?

No doubt some one will be quoting my use of the word "trivial".
Nuclear power plants, space programmes ect, of course being pedantic saves lives. Even NASA makes mistakes, I doubt any of them were related to an incorrect spelling of a author's name.

Butcher,

I have to apologise for getting so easily ruffled! I liked your reply, it was fair and constructive. I now understand why you felt compelled to correct me.

I know their must be people reading my post thinking that "He's just not getting it". I work in an industry where you have to get it right or you lose obscene amounts of money or endanger peoples lives. I value the detail, it saves money/time/lives. I realise why the spelling mistake is causing offence, its the principle of making sure information is finite. Its just that I find it difficult to not be offended by people candidly passing judgements.

Rant over, no doubt I have opened my self up to yet another onslaught of colourful comments. :lol:

----On a good note----

I successfully precipitated gold for the first time this evening! So very happy about that.

Think about how pedantic scientists have to be, like NASA. Ah it's just one number off, no big deal. Ah, it's just a small problem with an O-ring, no big deal right? Take Sodium Metabisulfate and Sodium Metabisulfite, one will drop your gold and one will not. Lucky for a lot of people that's the end of it because if Sodium Metabisulfate were to cause an explosive reaction there would be a lot of maimed people out there just over one little bitty letter. Everyone here is under the microscope, if you don't catch your mistake it's more than likely that someone else will. So if you can't handle being corrected in a public forum, I recommend that you send a private message to someone with your questions.

"I had to look up the word pendantic, I have never heard the word or phrase before".

I never used the word "pendantic" I said "pedantic"

Padantic :-
Synonyms: abstruse, academic, arid, didactic, doctrinaire, donnish, dry, dull, egotistic, erudite, formal, fussy, hairsplitting, learned, nit-picking, ostentatious, overnice, particular, pedagogic, pompous, priggish, punctilious, scholastic, schoolish, sententious, stilted

I underlined the actual Synonyms I was originally referring too.
I never new one word had so many meanings

Smack said:
Think about how pedantic scientists have to be, like NASA. Ah it's just one number off, no big deal. Ah, it's just a small problem with an O-ring, no big deal right? Take Sodium Metabisulfate and Sodium Metabisulfite, one will drop your gold and one will not. Lucky for a lot of people that's the end of it because if Sodium Metabisulfate were to cause an explosive reaction there would be a lot of maimed people out there just over one little bitty letter. Everyone here is under the microscope, if you don't catch your mistake it's more than likely that someone else will. So if you can't handle being corrected in a public forum, I recommend that you send a private message to someone with your questions.

I think you might have failed to grasp the nature of my last post. I clearly offered sympathy with those trying to explain the importance of why being pedantic is important.

Yeah you might want to pick another person to vent your frustrations toward. You won't like me.

misspelling by one letter can make the difference between a pleasant first experience when refining or a white knuckle, tension filled roller coaster ride that will suck the life out of you (figuratively speaking). take the compound most of us precipitate gold with. one letter off and sodium metabisulfite turns into sodium metabisulfate. two similar yet different things that if, misspelled can ruin days, weeks, months of work of work and make a terrible mess.

"misspelling by one letter can make the difference between a pleasant first experience when refining or a white knuckle, tension filled roller coaster ride that will suck the life out of you (figuratively speaking). take the compound most of us precipitate gold with. one letter off and sodium metabisulfite turns into sodium metabisulfate. two similar yet different things that if, misspelled can ruin days, weeks, months of work of work and make a terrible mess."

I think the importance of spelling has been well covered by now. Have read any of the other posts? Thanks for the input.

I think your missing the whole point here. This conservation started because of your attitude. The same attitude your seem hell bond on demonstrating time and time again through out this thread. Don't be the instigator and then cry the victim part. You want to keep this argumentative stance going?

Palladium said:
I think your missing the whole point here. This conservation started because of your attitude. The same attitude your seem hell bond on demonstrating time and time again through out this thread. Don't be the instigator and then cry the victim part. You want to keep this argumentative stance going?

I have to confess looking back at the posts it wasn't you who said:

Jim

Please accept my apologies. In answer to your question:

This conversation started because I spelt "Hoke" wrong. The follow up to that were some comments that I felt were unnecessary. I have gone great lengths tonight to explain why I was offended. I believe I have done so in a fair and just manner. It would appear that I am not the only making spelling mistakes, your last post you spelt "bound" wrong but do you see me lecturing you on the importance of spelling? What makes you think I am crying victim? I am doing my best explain my thoughts and opinions.

" Yeah you might want to pick another person to vent your frustrations toward. You won't like me."
Is that a threat?

If any one is thinking of suggesting that I have an attitude problem then please take time to read all of the post's. The problem with reading text that somebody else wrote is that it is very easy to assume that the person who wrote is shouting at at the monitor. I can assure you I am not shouting. The idea that I am hell bent on demonstrating a bad attitude is false, If some one is going to be good enough to post some thing in direct relation to a conversation. I will do my best to reply in a fair manner. Palladium why are asking me if I want to keep this argumentative stance going? had you read my earlier post properly you would have noticed that I incorrectly quoted you, of which have just apologised. you would have also noticed that I whole heartedly sympathise/ agree with the importance of correctional input.

Latest posts

Back