SMB Hot Or Cold??

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree! The simple fact that someone posting a question on here is even referring to Hoke (or is it Hokes or Hoke’s? Bc I’ve seen both, used incorrectly I might add, by the very ppl trying to express how important the spelling/use of her name is…just sayin) should be a breath of fresh air to the more experienced members on the forum. Trust me, I fully understand where the somewhat condescending nature of replies comes from. I’m pretty new to the forum, but I’ve read tons of posts (and responses) from ppl who seem to watch 1 YouTube video and dive head first into dangerous and downright irresponsible and just wrong practices. So I do empathize with the “elders” on here that are understandably annoyed and respond in such ways. But here’s my point… That isn’t even close to what Thomascorley did here. Just by reading his post I could tell that he had a lot of understanding of safe practices and the process itself and also that he is relatively new to this HOBBY. I can appreciate corrections being made, but I can also appreciate his feathers getting ruffled by some of the extra comments that were not so constructive. Anyone who has read 5 or more threads on here knows that ppl with more experience can be patronizing and down right high and mighty to the newer guy! And every newer guy has that right in the back of there head bc we see it all over this forum. Maybe sometimes it’s understandable and even necessary (although I’m of the opinion that ppl are more receptive to how to do things correctly when the teachers approach isn’t that of a straight up a**hole). Some of the elders on this forum seem to have forgotten how it was when they first started this journey. I’m sure mistakes were made. Hoke is 1 of a few very important tools in this learning journey. But ppl aren’t just going to be perfect experts by reading Hoke no matter how well they know it. Some ppl learn by seeing, and some ppl learn my doing. With that said, YouTube and trial by error are also important learning tools used by ppl interested in this hobby. Just like it hard to sift threw all the different info (some really bad) on YouTube, it’s also hard to sift threw all the patronizing attitudes on here when a new guy needs a little help. Now I’m not saying the ppl in this post are wrong for correcting…but I am saying it’s comments like the one I’m referring to here (and they get much worse than this sometimes) that may discourage the newer ppl from even feeling comfortable posting a question on here…and can’t we all agree that, that concept, is potentially far more dangerous than misspelling Hoke? Do what you want with the complete bone headsI suppose…but have a little more restraint with ppl who clearly are being responsible while trying to learn. We were all new at something at some point…and you catch more flies with honey.
I have now read your text and I do somewhat agree to many of your points,
but to be kind to the rest of us that read everything here on the forum,
can you please use points, commas and line dividers?
It is a hard chore to read these solid blocks of text.
And as Frugalrefiner says, read the forum rules.
Abbreviations make it hard for people using translators.

And all of us has been through the gauntlet and learned why precision is important,
so we may have forgotten some of it, though not all and we stick to it,
because it is simply too important for our trade.
Most that do not take corrections,
will not survive the plain mass of studies needed to be done to understand this topic.
And thus are probably not suited to this kind of hobby,
since they sooner or later might end up injuring themselves or others.
The goal of this forum is not to keep everyone here,
but rather to keep everyone here safe and as healthy as possible.

When this has been said, I noticed the this was your first post.
so I will give you the standard link package here:

Welcome to us :)

We ask our new members to do 3 things.
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: Safety
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: Dealing with Waste

Suggested reading: The Library

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/gold-refining-forum-rules.31182/
Edited a few small errors.

Its just that I find it difficult to not be offended by people candidly passing judgements.
Apparently, this conversation is still ongoing because of your willingness to be offended by the comments and judgments of the participants.
However, it is precisely the willingness to listen to each other’s “judgments” that gives us the opportunity to learn new things, and not demonstrate our intolerance by saying “How difficult for me not to be offended by other people’s judgments.”
It seems to me that it is customary here to correct each other precisely for the purpose of learning, but you are denying the right of another person (who just wanted to help you) to evaluate your statements. The desire to be offended for any reason seems to be the scourge of modern society :)
In fact, in psychology, the desire to be offended by other people's judgments is a sign of immaturity, and intolerance of judgments is usually characteristic of children, not adults.

This is just my opinion, I do not want to offend anyone involved in the dispute.

Apparently, this conversation is still ongoing because of your willingness to be offended by the comments and judgments of the participants.
However, it is precisely the willingness to listen to each other’s “judgments” that gives us the opportunity to learn new things, and not demonstrate our intolerance by saying “How difficult for me not to be offended by other people’s judgments.”
It seems to me that it is customary here to correct each other precisely for the purpose of learning, but you are denying the right of another person (who just wanted to help you) to evaluate your statements. The desire to be offended for any reason seems to be the scourge of modern society :)
In fact, in psychology, the desire to be offended by other people's judgments is a sign of immaturity, and intolerance of judgments is usually characteristic of children, not adults.

This is just my opinion, I do not want to offend anyone involved in the dispute.
As said earlier today.
Thomas has not been here since 2014

Latest posts

Back