SMB Hot Or Cold??

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kkmonte said:
butcher said:
(kkmonte, you have a nice badge there but it is not an official forum badge, so you should not wear it here on the forum, but you can wear it while you police yourself if you wish).

It wasn't for me, I was giving it to the other Spelling and Grammar police around here Butcher. I still believe that people are human and whether by accident, or lack of the knowledge of the correct spelling, some people need to relax and not jump all over a person for misspelling Hoke (or something similar).

Drop it already, nobody else cares about your feelings.
Carry on with refining.

Jim

add SMB cool if not chilled. it can be dry or in solution. i use dry SMB to gauge the presence of free nitric. it takes some time and practice but it is effective. after the addition and the following stannous chloride test, with a negative test for gold, slowly warm the now spent solution with precipitating gold to drive out the SO2 and get a quicker drop.

jimdoc said:
kkmonte said:
butcher said:
(kkmonte, you have a nice badge there but it is not an official forum badge, so you should not wear it here on the forum, but you can wear it while you police yourself if you wish).

It wasn't for me, I was giving it to the other Spelling and Grammar police around here Butcher. I still believe that people are human and whether by accident, or lack of the knowledge of the correct spelling, some people need to relax and not jump all over a person for misspelling Hoke (or something similar).

Drop it already, nobody else cares about your feelings.
Carry on with refining.

Jim

That's not being too sympathetic JimDoc! You're not following the forum rules here!

kkmonte said:
That's not being too sympathetic JimDoc! You're not following the forum rules here!

I wasn't trying for sympathetic, I was hinting that you should shut up.
I am going to shut up, I suggest you do the same.
I am sure others are not amused by this thread, and I will not be adding to it any more.

Jim

Thomascorley said:
"Read the title of the book again, it is not Hocke book, it is refining precious metals by C.M. Hoke."

It never ceases to amaze me how pedantic folks can be on this site. The Moto says "Refiners helping one another" Not sure how the needles corrections help.

I'm late to this party, as I've not been on the forum much of late, but one thing you must understand, assuming you hope to be on the right side of those of us who operate this board, is that we DEMAND that readers use proper terminology, and avoid text type messaging. You are a guest in the home of the owner, and we have been assigned to oversee the operation such that misinformation (of any kind) is not propagated. There's a good reason for that, and I'm not too keen on anyone who wishes to make an issue of our demands.

When someone corrects you, assume the attitude that you are being corrected in your best interest. If, by chance, the person doing the correction happens to be a moderator, you risk getting on the wrong side if you respond in any way but one of appreciation---in particular, my wrong side. I take a very dim view of that type of activity, in particular if you choose to get involved with Butcher, who I consider one of the finest people to have become a member of our "family". You will, at all times, speak to him with respect. He has earned it, and I will settle for nothing less.

So then, now that I have established the fact that you will behave, and not make waves because someone has corrected you, understand that you have just waved the red flag in front of the bull. Any further disruptions at your hand will most likely have you dealing with me, and that's not going to be pleasant, of that I assure you.

You have visited the only site on the internet in which you can learn proper procedures. For that you must (and will) pay a price. That price is that you will adhere to our guidelines and mandates. You will do that without acrimony, or you won't be here at all.

Do we understand one another?

Harold

Edit:

I am quoting from your previous post:

"Nuclear power plants, space programmes ect, of course being pedantic saves lives. Even NASA makes mistakes, I doubt any of them were related to an incorrect spelling of a author's name."

There is NO ect. That isn't a word, nor is it a contraction of words. What it is is a misspelling of the contraction of two words et cetera. How in hell did it become ect?

Do you get the point? You come here with your errors and then take offense when someone tries (mannerly) to correct you?

If you choose to respond to this post, choose your words carefully.

Harold

Harold_V said:
Thomascorley said:
"Read the title of the book again, it is not Hocke book, it is refining precious metals by C.M. Hoke."

It never ceases to amaze me how pedantic folks can be on this site. The Moto says "Refiners helping one another" Not sure how the needles corrections help.

I'm late to this party, as I've not been on the forum much of late, but one thing you must understand, assuming you hope to be on the right side of those of us who operate this board, is that we DEMAND that readers use proper terminology, and avoid text type messaging. You are a guest in the home of the owner, and we have been assigned to oversee the operation such that misinformation (of any kind) is not propagated. There's a good reason for that, and I'm not too keen on anyone who wishes to make an issue of our demands.

When someone corrects you, assume the attitude that you are being corrected in your best interest. If, by chance, the person doing the correction happens to be a moderator, you risk getting on the wrong side if you respond in any way but one of appreciation---in particular, my wrong side. I take a very dim view of that type of activity, in particular if you choose to get involved with Butcher, who I consider one of the finest people to have become a member of our "family". You will, at all times, speak to him with respect. He has earned it, and I will settle for nothing less.

So then, now that I have established the fact that you will behave, and not make waves because someone has corrected you, understand that you have just waved the red flag in front of the bull. Any further disruptions at your hand will most likely have you dealing with me, and that's not going to be pleasant, of that I assure you.

You have visited the only site on the internet in which you can learn proper procedures. For that you must (and will) pay a price. That price is that you will adhere to our guidelines and mandates. You will do that without acrimony, or you won't be here at all.

Do we understand one another?

Harold

Edit:

I am quoting from your previous post:

"Nuclear power plants, space programmes ect, of course being pedantic saves lives. Even NASA makes mistakes, I doubt any of them were related to an incorrect spelling of a author's name."

There is NO ect. That isn't a word, nor is it a contraction of words. What it is is a misspelling of the two words et cetera. How in hell did it become ect?

Do you get the point? You come here with your errors and then take offense when someone tries (mannerly) to correct you?

If you choose to respond to this post, choose your words carefully.

Harold

Hi Harold,

Please do not take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be patronising in any way. I have chosen to para-phrase (if that is the right description) only to deliver my concluding thoughts and opinions precisely.

I was over defensive of Butchers comments.

I tried to make peace.

The forum rule book has spelling mistakes.

I understand that when posting, every word will be understandably under the microscope.

Where I was accused of prolonging this debate, I say I was just responding to replies.

Where I put "ect" the correct abbreviation should have been "etc" commonly used in the UK. Apologies, fortunately you were still able to understand what I had wrote.

I'm more than happy to follow forum rules.

"mannerly" corrections are fine, not all of the responses to my post were exactly mannerly, most un-mannerly posts were sent after I apologised to butcher, (apology also included complete sympathy to original post)

I have no doubt that just even replying to this post will be seen as an attempt to ruffle feather's, it wasn't. I just a wanted chance to explain.

I wanted time to think about what has been said so I could give a level headed response.

Again I would very sincerely like to apologize to butcher, His response to my complaining rant was very polite and mannerly, I did my best to respond to his post in kind having realising my mistake.

It is very difficult to get a message across in my own words when every one else is interpreting them in their own.

I hope this has been interpreted the way I intended. I just want to learn,share and enjoy posting with other members.

Sorry to those I offended. Its a shame because I would like nothing better to meet face to face with whom ever has a grievance with me so that I can put thing right. I haven't the attitude problem I am perceived to have. I take pride in treating other's with respect.

Very well said indeed Thomas. Welcome to the forum. Talk about trial by fire eh, as long as we don't feed the trolls, this is generally a happy and well mannered place.
You will find there is no place on the web, and perhaps even in brick and mortar institutions that have the wealth of knowledge that can be found in these pages. You can literally read for years. Learn the search function, read, cross reference, review Hoke's excellent book. Share your experiances and ask your questions, show your effort and show your work. Most of all..... Enjoy. Cheers

Thanks Glondor,
You are right their is wealth of knowledge on this site. Glad to be here :)

Butcher
Thanks again, You must be a pretty decent person to have shown so much grace in my ignorance. Look forward to be talking about Refining with you. Its the little things that matter most.

Thomascorley,

If I haven't already said it, Welcome to the forum. You will see in the future as new members join, some want to be spoon fed answers to their questions without doing any of the work. Others feel it is a privilege they have been granted and again, want the fruits of other peoples knowledge. Those people either don't last too long or they quickly learn what will and what will not happen on the forum. Many newcomers have very little to no actual knowledge of chemistry. They get chemicals and think they're going to invent a new process to save the world from losing gold to the scrapyard. What they will end up doing is hurting (or worse yet, killing) themselves, their friends, relatives, neighbors, and pets. Any experiemnt they try has most likely already been tried.

I have been amazed at how some things change, or don't change. Take for example precipitating gold from your solution. The most common way is to drop it with sodium metabisulfite. SMB is relatively inexpensive, easy to obtain, and it works well. C. M. Hoke, in her book, preferred copperas (which doesn't even contain copper). Oxalic acid can also be used to precipitate gold and is very selective. I would have never know much of this without the forum.

Again, welcome and be sure to share your experiences with us.

Bert

Thanks for input Bert,

I understand totally where you are coming from. I'm no expert by any means, but reading through some of the post's on this site even I noticed, the person asking the question doesn't appear to have done any research at all. Just looking for that quick fix!

Cheers

I wasn't trying for sympathetic, I was hinting that you should shut up.
I am going to shut up, I suggest you do the same.
I am sure others are not amused by this thread, and I will not be adding to it any more.

Jim
Came because I couldn't remember whether this solution I'm about to precipitate should be chilled or warm before I add the SMB, as I've been using Copperas for some time.

Stuck around for long enough to remember why I hardly ever make a post to this forum, choosing instead to just take what I need and drop a hundred bucks off once in awhile...

Attachments

• 20230419_154927.jpg
    20230419_154927.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 2
Came because I couldn't remember whether this solution I'm about to precipitate should be chilled or warm before I add the SMB, as I've been using Copperas for some time.

Stuck around for long enough to remember why I hardly ever make a post to this forum, choosing instead to just take what I need and drop a hundred bucks off once in awhile...
Reaction time is faster when hot.
But the solution might be in need of diluting and chilling depending on what was dissolved and how.
What purity do you aim for and do you plan a second refining?

Reaction time is faster when hot.
But the solution might be in need of diluting and chilling depending on what was dissolved and how.
What purity do you aim for and do you plan a second refining?
I am for darned near .99, if not higher. And it's what I got. The dark spot you're likely seeing in the bottom of the beaker is a stain on my corningware. This was, in fact, my second refining. I took the flattened piece you see, which still had contaminates in it, and refined it into the lovely button you see in the other pics.

Attachments

• 20230424_184343.jpg
    20230424_184343.jpg
    846.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230502_191127.jpg
    20230502_191127.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230502_191125.jpg
    20230502_191125.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
"Hoke" seems to be the most commonly misspelled four letter word around here.
If you can't get her name straight, then you really should find another hobby.

Jim
I disagree! The simple fact that someone posting a question on here is even referring to Hoke (or is it Hokes or Hoke’s? Bc I’ve seen both, used incorrectly I might add, by the very ppl trying to express how important the spelling/use of her name is…just sayin) should be a breath of fresh air to the more experienced members on the forum. Trust me, I fully understand where the somewhat condescending nature of replies comes from. I’m pretty new to the forum, but I’ve read tons of posts (and responses) from ppl who seem to watch 1 YouTube video and dive head first into dangerous and downright irresponsible and just wrong practices. So I do empathize with the “elders” on here that are understandably annoyed and respond in such ways. But here’s my point… That isn’t even close to what Thomascorley did here. Just by reading his post I could tell that he had a lot of understanding of safe practices and the process itself and also that he is relatively new to this HOBBY. I can appreciate corrections being made, but I can also appreciate his feathers getting ruffled by some of the extra comments that were not so constructive. Anyone who has read 5 or more threads on here knows that ppl with more experience can be patronizing and down right high and mighty to the newer guy! And every newer guy has that right in the back of there head bc we see it all over this forum. Maybe sometimes it’s understandable and even necessary (although I’m of the opinion that ppl are more receptive to how to do things correctly when the teachers approach isn’t that of a straight up a**hole). Some of the elders on this forum seem to have forgotten how it was when they first started this journey. I’m sure mistakes were made. Hoke is 1 of a few very important tools in this learning journey. But ppl aren’t just going to be perfect experts by reading Hoke no matter how well they know it. Some ppl learn by seeing, and some ppl learn my doing. With that said, YouTube and trial by error are also important learning tools used by ppl interested in this hobby. Just like it hard to sift threw all the different info (some really bad) on YouTube, it’s also hard to sift threw all the patronizing attitudes on here when a new guy needs a little help. Now I’m not saying the ppl in this post are wrong for correcting…but I am saying it’s comments like the one I’m referring to here (and they get much worse than this sometimes) that may discourage the newer ppl from even feeling comfortable posting a question on here…and can’t we all agree that, that concept, is potentially far more dangerous than misspelling Hoke? Do what you want with the complete bone headsI suppose…but have a little more restraint with ppl who clearly are being responsible while trying to learn. We were all new at something at some point…and you catch more flies with honey.

I disagree! The simple fact that someone posting a question on here is even referring to Hoke (or is it Hokes or Hoke’s? Bc I’ve seen both, used incorrectly I might add, by the very ppl trying to express how important the spelling/use of her name is…just sayin) should be a breath of fresh air to the more experienced members on the forum. Trust me, I fully understand where the somewhat condescending nature of replies comes from. I’m pretty new to the forum, but I’ve read tons of posts (and responses) from ppl who seem to watch 1 YouTube video and dive head first into dangerous and downright irresponsible and just wrong practices. So I do empathize with the “elders” on here that are understandably annoyed and respond in such ways. But here’s my point… That isn’t even close to what Thomascorley did here. Just by reading his post I could tell that he had a lot of understanding of safe practices and the process itself and also that he is relatively new to this HOBBY. I can appreciate corrections being made, but I can also appreciate his feathers getting ruffled by some of the extra comments that were not so constructive. Anyone who has read 5 or more threads on here knows that ppl with more experience can be patronizing and down right high and mighty to the newer guy! And every newer guy has that right in the back of there head bc we see it all over this forum. Maybe sometimes it’s understandable and even necessary (although I’m of the opinion that ppl are more receptive to how to do things correctly when the teachers approach isn’t that of a straight up a**hole). Some of the elders on this forum seem to have forgotten how it was when they first started this journey. I’m sure mistakes were made. Hoke is 1 of a few very important tools in this learning journey. But ppl aren’t just going to be perfect experts by reading Hoke no matter how well they know it. Some ppl learn by seeing, and some ppl learn my doing. With that said, YouTube and trial by error are also important learning tools used by ppl interested in this hobby. Just like it hard to sift threw all the different info (some really bad) on YouTube, it’s also hard to sift threw all the patronizing attitudes on here when a new guy needs a little help. Now I’m not saying the ppl in this post are wrong for correcting…but I am saying it’s comments like the one I’m referring to here (and they get much worse than this sometimes) that may discourage the newer ppl from even feeling comfortable posting a question on here…and can’t we all agree that, that concept, is potentially far more dangerous than misspelling Hoke? Do what you want with the complete bone headsI suppose…but have a little more restraint with ppl who clearly are being responsible while trying to learn. We were all new at something at some point…and you catch more flies with honey.
You are quoting a 10 year old post.
Thomas has not been seen since 2014.

You are quoting a 10 year old post.
Thomas has not been seen since 2014.
True, but he does make some good points.

Parts per liter?
From the context, I think I can comfortably assume he means people. I agree that we shouldn't use such abbreviations since many of our members have to use translators to read the forum. But this response goes to the points AlchemyGeorge is making. It would be more helpful to point out why he shouldn't use abbreviations and perhaps include a link to the Forum Rules.

Dave

Latest posts

Back