SMB Hot Or Cold??

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thomascorley said:
"Jim doc" is a prime example.

"Hoke" seems to be the most commonly misspelled four letter word around here.
If you can't get her name straight, then you really should find another hobby.

Spelling a persons name wrong means you should find another hobby?

Would you (Jim doc) find that a particularly constructive comment?

Yes, yes I would.

Jim

Thomascorley said:
I never new one word had so many meanings

thats english, and nothing more. flip through the dictionary & see how many words have only a single meaning (not many)

its not members nit-picking, its the rules.

Noxx said:
Welcome to this forum ! I hope you will pass good time over here.
Please follow those rules:
-Do not use Racism/Sexism/Bad Taste/Violent language.
-Do not spam.
-Do not write like when you are on MSN/ICQ
-Try to correct spelling mistakes.
-Post in the good section
-Do not write in capital letters.
-Be sympathic.

when a new member is told to correct spelling, their attitude quickly shows if they are willing to take the guidance offered or will lose the chance to learn refining from the best resource on the net.

jimdoc said:

Jim
It could of just been a typo ??

Bigwood247 said:
jimdoc said:

Jim
It could of just been a typo ??

Then that brings up checking on what you are posting before, or right after you post.

Jim

I feel I have to comment on this. While I agree with importance of accuracy in a "profession" or "hobby" like this that we all love (we wouldn't be here if we didn't), I do agree that people around here do love jumping on the "grammar and spelling police" bandwagon way too much. If you are posting chemical formulas or asking for chemical names, then by all means, jump all over the person that makes a mistake.

When the occasional person comes in here and says "hey guyz, ples expln me how 2 make lots of $$$ from refining gold, lst all steps req! Thx" Again, jump all over him.

But when someone makes either a spelling mistake (or a typo) on a harmless word like Hoke, I don't see the need to jump and tell him to find another hobby.

correct spelling and the best grammar you can use has been stressed on the forum since i joined. there are other reasons than safety but safety is the first and foremost reason. this has been discussed before. i dont mean to ruffle feathers but the rules apply to everyone, even new members, who apparently did not read the rules. since most people joins without looking at the forum rules need to be made aware of them as soon as possible.

Geo said:
its not members nit-picking, its the rules.

Noxx said:
Welcome to this forum ! I hope you will pass good time over here.
Please follow those rules:
-Do not use Racism/Sexism/Bad Taste/Violent language.
-Do not spam.
-Do not write like when you are on MSN/ICQ
-Try to correct spelling mistakes.
-Post in the good section
-Do not write in capital letters.
-Be sympathic.

when a new member is told to correct spelling, their attitude quickly shows if they are willing to take the guidance offered or will lose the chance to learn refining from the best resource on the net.

Rule No.4 Try to correct spelling mistakes, I did Try very hard to make sure all grammar and spelling were accurate.
Rule No.7 Has a spelling mistake, sympathetic, not sympathic.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one here who thinks whilst spelling is essential, their are some situations where a little grace/discretion is used.

Well apparently everyone seems to have missed the point again!!! This thread was rocking right along and a moderator ( Butcher ) said something the offending party didn't like. Then the offended party took a stance of attitude, which apparently still seems to be happening even as we speak. It's not about people jumping on people or anything else. It's about this persons attitude and how they have responded. I approached it because i KNEW how this was going to turn out. Was i picking at you? You bet i was! Did you prove me right? You bet you did. Please remember it was a moderator who corrected you. This is not a democracy on this board. If you don't like board policy or being corrected then you are more that welcome to find the door. I will not waste my time trying to teach other only to be disrupted by people who can't seem to conform. Do we really need to keep doing this? Are you going to be that hard headed and argumentative that you can't just say i see and let it go?

Thomascorley, believe me, this is nothing personal. i am not bashing but just pointing out the rules. i would do the same for any new member. you are not being singled out, i dont know you that well. no one is here to make you look small but to try and guide new members safely through some very dangerous processes. just being here is a privilege and should be considered as such. no one here is attacking you but rather extending a helping hand. remember, you came to us to learn.

I have certainly made my fair share of mistakes. I even found where Butcher had made a mistake by reading a wrong number from a chart. Once he saw where the error was, he took a huge amount of time correcting calculations based on that particular data. He wasn't angry or resentful, but thankful for the constructive criticism. He acknowledged his error and gave credit for the correction where credit was due, even though I didn't consider it necessary. He has proven himself over and over again where forum members needed help. Almost every other forum member has been very helpful and free with their knowledge and advice. This is a tribute to ALL the forum members who have reached out to help one another. Their time is just as valuable to them as mine is to me and while there is no monetary charge, it's actually far from being free. Heartfelt THANK YOU (yes, I'm yelling it at the monitor, and the dogs don't know what wrong), but it's worth shouting.

Now, lets get back to some R&R (OOPS, that's Recovery and Refining).

Palladium said:
Well apparently everyone seems to have missed the point again!!! This thread was rocking right along and a moderator ( Butcher ) said something the offending party didn't like. Then the offended party took a stance of attitude, which apparently still seems to be happening even as we speak. It's not about people jumping on people or anything else. It's about this persons attitude and how they have responded. I approached it because i KNEW how this was going to turn out. Was i picking at you? You bet i was! Did you prove me right? You bet you did. Please remember it was a moderator who corrected you. This is not a democracy on this board. If you don't like board policy or being corrected then you are more that welcome to find the door. I will not waste my time trying to teach other only to be disrupted by people who can't seem to conform. Do we really need to keep doing this? Are you going to be that hard headed and argumentative that you can't just say i see and let it go?

Palladium, I don't see where the OP took a stance of attitude. He simply responded to butcher's comment (he even started off his post with a Thanks). He also ended his post with this: "Thanks for Help/explanations really is much appreciated." I guess the "attitude" you are referring to was his comment on people being "pedantic" on the forum (which is spot on by the way).

If there is any place to be pedantic It is in the teaching of science. Since this forum is dedicated to the teaching of the science of refining, it is more than appropriate. To that end, Qualify your questions, leave out abbreviations, do not use text speak, check your spelling and take any response from experienced members as a gift of their time and effort, directly aimed at YOUR specific need, given freely.

Think of this more as a classroom than some sort of internet chat room, and behave like someone with a lot more knowledge than you is trying to help you reach YOUR goals. It is never a good sign when someone starts a relationship by trying to correct the teacher.

I guess the first lesson here is it is proper to be pedantic in teaching about things that can maim or kill you. Sometimes you just have to conform to the rules.

glondor said:
If there is any place to be pedantic It is in the teaching of science. Since this forum is dedicated to the teaching of the science of refining, it is more than appropriate. To that end, Qualify your questions, leave out abbreviations, do not use text speak, check your spelling and take any response from experienced members as a gift of their time and effort, directly aimed at YOUR specific need, given freely.

Think of this more as a classroom than some sort of internet chat room, and behave like someone with a lot more knowledge than you is trying to help you reach YOUR goals. It is never a good sign when someone starts a relationship by trying to correct the teacher.

I guess the first lesson here is it is proper to be pedantic in teaching about things that can maim or kill you. Sometimes you just have to conform to the rules.

Did you even read my previous post? Sure in the teachings of Science, be pedantic. However when someone misspells (or even makes a typo) a proper Name, is that reason to jump all over him and tell him to find another hobby?

Here Glondor and JimDoc, this is for you guys!

grammar-police2.jpeg

No I did not read your previous post. I read the OP. I was replying to the OP. I don't know who you are or what you said.

What a commotion this has caused, I had no idea that suggesting re reading the title of a book would cause these reactions.

Hokes book is so important to this forum and such a good resource to learn from, out of respect we should at least get here name right if nothing else out of respect for this lady who has provided such valuable information to all of us.

Reactions to this suggestion has caused many to jump on this band wagon and express their views on the subject, many of these views have very valid points, some not so valid, I do not see this as much as being spelling police as had been suggested, but trying to keep our forum as accurate and as readable as possible, many of us understand how simple spelling and grammar can make reading this forum not just easier, but also possible for those who have to rely on translators to read the forum, we also understand how safety and understanding procedure or even the chemicals used can be much easier when we all do our best in writing what we do.

We also want to keep and maintain the forum the best we can, we all are writing this forum, we all make it what it is.

We can have a sloppy forum, which no one can read, where we do not care what we say or how we say it, spitting out inaccuracy, and arguments with one another, or we can all hold up the higher standards for ourselves and for our forum, helping to improve our forum and ourselves.

The rules of the forum set the standards that Noxx the forums founder and members decided on to keep the forum the best they could, to run smoothly and to be a great place to learn, they did not make unfair or unnecessary rules, which would be hard to follow, they set these rules with an understanding for every member, and to set the stage for this forum to survive and prosper and not be ruined into a mad house.

This forum is made by all of us members who are a part of it, and as members in a way we all are the policemen of our forum.

(kkmonte, you have a nice badge there but it is not an official forum badge, so you should not wear it here on the forum, but you can wear it while you police yourself if you wish).

But as policemen of the forum our job mostly is to police ourselves and do the best we can to make this forum the best we can, to help others where we can.

Sometimes this help comes from hearing things we may not wish to hear at the time.
Sometimes we need our friends to tell us such things, other wise how would we learn and strive to do better if our friends were not true friends and tell us when we were doing things wrong and we could not see it.

I did not see much wrong with any of the comments of members in this topic I can agree with the issues on both sides of this fence, but I also believe reactions on both sides of the fence just brought up more reactions, like those balls hanging on strings banging each other back and forth, I think we can all agree we want our forum to be as best as possible for all of us to learn, and to see our forum survive as the best place possible to learn recovery and refining from, many comments here on both side's were trying to point toward that goal, but after a while the banging of these balls reacting with one another could get out of control, or almost annoying.

I seen mostly a reaction to a simple suggestion, and then more reaction because of that reaction, some good can come from this discussion, but it can also easily get out of hand, we can all agree we need to write the best we can, we can all agree we want to learn the best we can and to do this we need to be able to read and understand what others wrote.

Since joining this forum I have tried hard to improve my writing skills, not that they are that good now, but when I first made a post here I was told it was unreadable.

I knew what I was trying to say, and I must admit those comments hurt, as I had been reading the forum for quite some time before I decided to post, and those comments cut like a knife, I could not see what was wrong with my writing, I could read it, it also took me some time to understand what others were saying about my writing, and took me time to learn to do better, and since that first post I have tried hard to do the best I can to improve my writing skills, I still have room for much improvement, but I have done the best I can and am glad I did, now I know these forum police were just trying to help me (and save their poor old eyes), funny thing is now when I see a post written like my first one I just skip over it and do not try to read it most of the time, now I can see what these forum police were talking about, when they said my writing was unreadable.

Now my job as forum police is to police myself, and try to help others where I can, help all of my friends where I can even our new friends, and to try and help all of us make this the best forum we can.

Sorry I spelled pedantic wrong; I will try and pay more attention next time.

Now what was this topic about?

SMB hot or cold, any one wants to help answer this question?

Cold. The reaction with smb is exothermic, (it generates heat) The sulfur dioxide gas created by the reaction will stay with cold water longer. This allows for better reactions.

That was a good save.

Everyone here is guilty of spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc. errors. I, myself, am a perfectionist when it comes to spelling, capitalization, punctuation, grammar, etc. One thing I notice is, even something the veterans are guilty of, is the use of the "sub" command here in chat. We could go so far and correct each other all day long that KNO3 or H2SO4 are mislabeled because it should really be KNO3 and H2SO4. You decide. No disrespect meant, but the bandwagon should be gone by now. :arrow:

butcher said:
(kkmonte, you have a nice badge there but it is not an official forum badge, so you should not wear it here on the forum, but you can wear it while you police yourself if you wish).

It wasn't for me, I was giving it to the other Spelling and Grammar police around here Butcher. I still believe that people are human and whether by accident, or lack of the knowledge of the correct spelling, some people need to relax and not jump all over a person for misspelling Hoke (or something similar).

Latest posts

Back