Smelting 22k+ Gold Dust into Bars 24k HELP

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look for C.W Ammens book Recovery And Refining of Precious Metals,there should be a link on the forum for a pdf.
If you really want to learn,Chill out before you get banned.

Jim

sorry Im not one to be usual of an angry tone, its just when you ask a simple question and get alot of negative feedback for a totally unrelated topic it doesnt help my mood. Ok so Ammens and hoke are a good start, Ill buy their books online tonight. Also Ive read some other posts regarding the gold refining forum pdf. Has anyone got a link to a page with this and any other handbook downloads?

Many thanks

qst42know said:
You can use the search function to find a full description of inquarting on the forum.

I would like to see what 50kg of gold dust looks like. How about posting a photo?

I dont have a picture but imagine a box/sack around 30x30cmx100cm tall. The dust nuggets about 2-5mm in thickness

and thanks for your link, it does propose a similar query so I shall keep posted on it thanks :p

The Internet Archive is a great place to find books,just search all media so it searches in all the sources.There are many books on gold,silver,precious metals,smelting,refining,and more.

http://www.archive.org/index.php

Jim

jimdoc said:
The Internet Archive is a great place to find books,just search all media so it searches in all the sources.There are many books on gold,silver,precious metals,smelting,refining,and more.

Jim

Thanks Jim, done a quick search and found this book
http://www.archive.org/details/metallurgygolda00eissgoog

would this be ideal too or is the book a bit too old? I mean, obviously chemicals and metals dont change with an age of a book, however the practices and methods might?

kularm said:
jimdoc said:

Jim

Thanks Jim, done a quick search and found this book
http://www.archive.org/details/metallurgygolda00eissgoog

would this be ideal too or is the book a bit too old? I mean, obviously chemicals and metals dont change with an age of a book, however the practices and methods might?

Tbh after another few searches I found alot of the given books are old, pre1900...

The old books are usually the best books.Ammen's book has a more modern approach and shows how to make or setup needed equipment.I can't find a link to it online now,but it is available at Amazon or Barnes and Noble,and is worth buying.

Jim

jimdoc said:
The old books are usually the best books.Ammen's book has a more modern approach and shows how to make or setup needed equipment.I can't find a link to it online now,but it is available at Amazon or Barnes and Noble,and is worth buying.

Jim

defo will, thanks!

I am glad to see that while I was typing this thread took a turn for the better, it was getting out of hand. There has been considerable time spent here debating whether this is a scam or something similar. May I suggest to all that further discussion on that point is counterproductive, enough has been said.

Kularm,
I would ask you to understand that many of us have had scam solicitations on the forum and by the PM feature. Gold does funny things to people. Accurate or not, your post contained many of the hallmarks and key phrases that those scams typically include. If you are doing business in West Africa trading gold I would imagine you have had others warn of the same thing or you have run into it personally.

As to the help you are looking for. Hoke is one of the best for learning refining in layman's terms but says little on mining ores. Ammen's is good as well and gets into ores a bit more.

There are some here with experience in ores (I have little), but a better description of what you are purchasing is needed for any productive help. Is it all metallic dust and nuggets? Since you have had assays, what are the contaminates that need to be removed?

Oz said:
I am glad to see that while I was typing this thread took a turn for the better, it was getting out of hand. There has been considerable time spent here debating whether this is a scam or something similar. May I suggest to all that further discussion on that point is counterproductive, enough has been said.

Kularm,
I would ask you to understand that many of us have had scam solicitations on the forum and by the PM feature. Gold does funny things to people. Accurate or not, your post contained many of the hallmarks and key phrases that those scams typically include. If you are doing business in West Africa trading gold I would imagine you have had others warn of the same thing or you have run into it personally.

As to the help you are looking for. Hoke is one of the best for learning refining in layman's terms but says little on mining ores. Ammen's is good as well and gets into ores a bit more.

There are some here with experience in ores (I have little), but a better description of what you are purchasing is needed for any productive help. Is it all metallic dust and nuggets? Since you have had assays, what are the contaminates that need to be removed?

I understand the position of many and I assure you that this is not a scam, you are right I have come across people telling me of scams etc alot recently which was why I got a bit upset when this post started heading that way. Our assay came after we we had the gold dust purified professionally so I really couldnt tell you the contaminates at this stage but from what I was aware of the dust was mostly metallic and went upto small nuggest size, nothing too big. The dust was assayd before being process however my friend had access to the original report and did not send me the copy as I was in a different country, instead sent me basic details regarding the gold itself and not the impurities if you can understand. At that stage my job was to find a buyer and not be involved in processing and buying like I am now.

If I understand you correctly, you are buying mine concentrates after a government assay has been done on them. You are then having the mine concentrates professionally refined to 22K+. If you are only wishing to learn how to purify your 22K+ bars to .9995 fine gold, then extraction from mine concentrates can be dropped from the discussion. However knowing the contaminates in your 22K+ is very important.

If you are buying mine concentrates based on a government assay, I hope you have full confidence in them not taking a bribe. The first thing I would learn if I was in your position is how to assay the mine concentrates yourself before payment to the miners. In this way you have full information as to who is stealing from you in the subsequent processes. You will always know what you have paid for by your own assay results.

It is worth mentioning that if you are handling the mine concentrates yourself that it may be worthwhile to screen your material to save any nuggets that are over say 5-6mm. Raw nuggets of a size to be used in jewelry are one of a kind nature's art, and often sell for more than the gold content spot value.

kularm said:
If you are not going to help them its simple, keep your mouth shut!
I understand your frustration, but if you intend to stay on this forum, refrain from making such comments. I take a very dim view of people that can't contain themselves.

You are asking for something that has taken others months, if not years, to understand. You'd do yourself a favor by following the advice that was dispensed earlier---to start reading Hoke. Do not expect to have anyone tell you, in a meaningful way, everything you need to know to stay out of trouble. It will take you time to learn, just as it has taken the rest of us time to learn.

Harold

Latest posts

Back