Smelting question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norman01

Hi guys, wondered if anyone could tell me what I smelted up this weekend. Was using an all purpose smelt for silver or gold,
the material was crushed from mostly quartz with some pyrite showing maybe some galena. Anyway the button that came out the slag was a dull gray color, and not heavy. The slag was black. Thought I could clean up the button so dropped it some CLR. It came apart and now is nothing but black powder. You can tell by the question that I am a rookie here.

This is a good lesson for all newbies.This is why you should not dive head first into something if you do not know what it is you are doing.You cannot "experiment" and expect it to work the same way you saw it work on some tv show,or online.There are volumes of information that needs to be learned about each individual process.I know members of the forum that have been refining for 20+ years,and still learning new things.
As long as I have been recovering/refining ,I still have worlds to learn!

That is hard to say considering none of us saw,or sampled the material.Nor did we see the button,or powder.
If you can provide us a few pictures we can "attempt" to figure it out.

Can you clarify what you mean by CLR?
By your description, sounds like you created some zinc, along with, possibly, some values. The remaining black powder is of interest. Without having a means to test, I expect no one is going to be able to provide a meaningful answer. Were I in your situation, I'd attempt to dissolve a small amount of the black powder with nitric, then a second equal amount with AR. Between the two tests, you should be able to determine if you have silver and/or gold, or even platinum and/or palladium ( expect no pt. group).

Have you read Hoke? Do you have a hint how to test? If not, start reading. She'll guide you in how, and instruct you in making test and standard solutions.

Harold

Thanks again for your posts. The CLR is a common household cleaner calcium, lime ,rust. I looked on the bottle for ingredients, but found none. Maybe you could tell me the name of this Hoke book, looked on amazon under Hoke, lots to chose from, maybe only one that pertains to this stuff. Hey Harold, looks like you are from WA, well me too. Again I can't say enough about kind you are to respond to my question.

MSDS
Component ..............percentage
1. Water...................70-81%
2. Lactic Acid.............15-20%
3. Gluconic Acid...........2-4%
4. Lauramine Oxide..........1-4%
5. Propylene Glycol n-Butyl Ether........1-2%

Hoke book download.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=2480

Did you have a reason for adding the CLR or was it just something you had sitting on the shelf? That sort of thinking can get you in trouble.

Guys have used it for cleaning little nuggets they find with metal detectors, so I thought hmm, plus it was sittinig in the cupboard. Thanks for asking

CLR also contains some sulfamic acid, and you mentioned galena. Your residue may be lead sulfate.

http://www.emedco.info/rtk/common/wcd00025/wcd025c3.htm

Latest posts

Back