So I came across a ton of pins

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohiogoldfever

So I came across a ton of gold plated audio pins. I was able to pick up about 150 lbs of new old stock audio connectors. The pins are large and heavy. Plating looks to be nice and thick.

I am kicking around selling off a good bit of them to help pay for other hobby related materials but am ignorant to fair pricing. I have looked around eBay a bit but how’s to get some feedback from you guys to help gain some better understanding.

I have tons of boards I’m depopulating, so I have plenty of materials I can run that’s not my worry.

Any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

• EE23F94F-19E0-45A1-8E95-5C1E8FC15433.jpeg
    EE23F94F-19E0-45A1-8E95-5C1E8FC15433.jpeg
    2.2 MB
  • EBD49839-AFB7-4585-9B69-800846901F2E.jpeg
    EBD49839-AFB7-4585-9B69-800846901F2E.jpeg
    2.3 MB
  • FA3D2D5F-2679-47B5-BA0B-6FDF3D45A68A.jpeg
    FA3D2D5F-2679-47B5-BA0B-6FDF3D45A68A.jpeg
    3.2 MB
With all due respect, Lino is right. Those connectors are not that old, and they are from the audio industry, and they are almost fully encapsulated. All 3 of those things, are why there's a smaller volume of gold, than say older mil-spec or tel-com connectors. But would still be worth running through a cell if you had one.
Just out of curiosity, where in Ohio are you? I own a company close to Uniontown, we go there every now and then.

Thanks for the responses. I take no issues with the comments guys. I’m learning, no need to sugar coat things.

My shop is in Dayton.

As a help to identify really heavy plating as in proper mill.spec look for very dull and a much richer color, when pins or any plating is thin it looks very shiny and pale in color as rule.

Yea I see what your saying. I have a small handful of older gold cap IC chips with gold legs. Nice rich orange / gold color.

Well I’ll have several KG of pins once sorted roughly 7,500 Pieces. Hope to get something reasonable from them.

When I have pounds of different types of pins, I like to run a 1 pound test, of each type of pin, this way I know the yield per pound of each type. I incinerate them, and run them thru Poorman's AR.
If you decide to sell some, you know the yield per type, and price each type accordingly! 8)

If I decide to process them, then I start with the highest gold yielding pins.

Just my dos centavos... :mrgreen:

Phil

Latest posts

Back