Sodium Nitrate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koebeef

This is a question for fellow Canadians (or Canadiens for those who are of French descent). I am looking to make a batch of poor mans AR. I want to know if anyone knows where I can get some sodium nitrate locally.

I am also looking for Sodium Metabisulfite and Urea pellets. I have ordered online (ebay) in the past but would like to find a local supplier.

Ryan

PS, If anyone has any scrap metal related questions I can help out with fair pricing for materials to ensure you are not getting hosed by your local yards.

Ryan

You can get SMB from home made wine stores. Otherwise, I both purchased my NaNO3 and Urea from ebay.

If you're lucky, you can your nitrate in fertilizer bags, much cheaper.

I found a 100g packet of "nitre powder" at a chinese grocery while I was in Ottawa once, it was fairly cheap too, not much more than a dollar IIRC.
You may have luck finding nitrates at some hydroponics stores. Just don't buy calcium ammonium nitrate, the ammonium ion is problematic.
The calcium nitrate can be converted easily to sodium nitrate by adding sodium bicarbonate, carbonate or hydroxide to precipitate the calcium.
I used to enjoy making rockets and other pyrotechnics, and 15 years ago or so I was able to buy 50lbs potassium nitrate from a feed store, but there's a lot more scrutiny about nitrates these days.

Latest posts

Back