Sodium nitrite + molybdate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So he graduated incompetent chemist -> http://chemia.amu.edu.pl/en/main-page/Faculty-of-Chemistry/faculty-members/prof.-zw.-dr-hab.-grzegorz-schroeder

That's you? And hey, when you first wrote about precipitating gold by lots of SnCl2, you wonder why I got the impression, that you have no clue? In an online forum everybody is what he writes, at least in the recognition of the reader of an actual post.

Further you could have 10 doctors and still having no clue. But at least if everything you wrote is true, you have convinced me, that you will not likely cause an environmental disaster. :lol:

Casserole dish often recommended here for sulphuric cell is MUCH more likely to break than properly made fish tank.

The casserole dish is not glued with silicone. It is extremely thick in relation to volume. It is not simple glass, but glass ceramic. Only best quality is chosen. We are always prepared for the risk of any vessels could break or boil over, so there is an adequate vessel placed beneath, that would catch the whole volume of liquid used (at least this is the teaching).

Nope, its not me, I am a bit younger :)
He is the one who signed my graduation papers.
Very tough task to make him happy, but that's how it supposed to be.

I explained I was thinking of SnCl2 in other context that's why I wrote it down instead of SMB.

Fish tank style vessel is not meant to be heated from outside and to higher temperatures. I would say 40-50 DegC would be the limit I am comfortable with.
Sun would do the work over time - expense and hassle free. I am not in a hurry.
Silicone is very chemically resistant, save hydroxides in higher concentrations and hydrofluoric acid/salts. Even acrylic is not so bad.
In this application either one is an overkill really.

Have few self made "vaporizers", but all are glass cabinets in which you place beakers with your solution.
Work like a charm.
Two of them can nearly boil water in beakers on hot summer day :)
I might actually glue new "vaporizer" with drain and proper vented lid. Not double glazed and insulated, but something what looks just like fish tank with lid.

Got plenty of glass, sealant, tools and really enjoy working with it, so its not work but pleasure.
Once it gets warmer I'll be outside workshop all day long :)
I wouldn't glue a tank indoors, not worth the dent in health .

That will be in msds. Its brand new and sealed, so no after sale contamination possible.

This is not what I meant. The msds will tell you what contaminants MIGHT be left AFTER purification. Those ARE to test qualitatively AFTER purification. If not, you don't know, if you have removed them. Also you need to know your test, sensitivity and cross-sensitivity, can it be used in the given situation and so on. If you have studied chemistry, then you know the difference between believing and knowing. You also need the msds in order to know, WHAT to test for, since you can't test for 1000 (even then you would need to know which 1000) possible chemicals qualitatively. And most of them you wouldn't even be able to test for unless your an analytical chemist or similar with a million$ equipped lab.

Solar_plasma,

Appreciate the focus on safety and your devil's advocacy but goodness, let the man experiment in peace. I think he knows enough at this point to be ok with it! He's seen all manner of suggestions.

Yap, of course.

I guess, what made me wrought-up was, that I thougt to read a light-minded undertone in his lines, which I just can't stand when people handle several hundred litres of chemicals without making clear that they do it in a professional environment. As there has been written elsewhere on the forum: new process, start with small setups. But it's not my affair.

I'm a big believer in starting every project with a beaker size sample. I've been doing this stuff almost daily since 1966 and I still run a small test lot on almost everything substantial that I want to process.

goldsilverpro said:
I'm a big believer in starting every project with a beaker size sample. I've been doing this stuff almost daily since 1966 and I still run a small test lot on almost everything substantial that I want to process.

Voice of reason. Pennyweight of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Back